Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 24, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #14,657 of 18,765
It's interesting when you pose the question of bass impact because some people say th900 has it in spades, while others disagree and consider it not to be very impactful, but instead, just very extended, and deep.

The difference comes down I think, to how you're defining impact. Is it the punch (upper to mid bass attack) or the deep rumble and extended lows (sub bass). I think in my definition of impact/slam that sensation would be the upper and mid bass dynamic slam, which I'm not sure the 900 has a ton of compared with some other phones which emphasize that mid to upper bass area more vs ultimate sub bass extension (which I think we all agree is true with the 900).

A sub woofer, for example, isn't what I would consider very punchy and impactful, it's just low and rumbly. The actual speakers give more of that punch and thump.

Any more thoughts on this?

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #14,662 of 18,765
So dry,

You would consider them to have more bass punch/impact than your dt1770? Also your old he400 and sennheiser hd 25? Have any in your collection past or present given you as good impact, in your opinion?

Thank you.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #14,663 of 18,765
So dry,

You would consider them to have more bass punch/impact than your dt1770? Also your old he400 and sennheiser hd 25? Have any in your collection past or present given you as good impact, in your opinion?

Thank you.

OK, first let me say that to me punch implies quick hard hitting impact, like that of a punch. But it's midbass focussed so therefore the physical impact it actually has on your jaw at that frequency is an illusion of sound.

Slam is more subbass which is felt via bone conduction as it vibrates at a lower frequency. So in terms of actual physical impact to me subbass has more.

Why do u think I've kept the th900s but sold off the 1770s, he400s etc? My point of reference is actually playing a drum kit. Other than the LCD 2s I haven't heard a headphone that can produce bass at this quantity, quality and depth.

Play Revelations or Power by Marcus Miller on the Th900s and you'll see what I mean.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #14,665 of 18,765
we're getting into semantics here which can be fraught, but i don't split hairs over impact, punch and slam when it comes to describing how a headphone reproduces bass notes. i don't associate sub-bass with those descriptors, however. rumble seems like a more apt descriptor for sub-bass to me.

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #14,666 of 18,765
i agree with your definition

So do I.

vibration and impact or slam, are different sensations

Agreed. I guess some portion of the midbass slam I look for in a headphone might in this case fall prey to the sucked-out midrange (which the TH-900 indisputably has, just as much as it has some nice, rumbling subbass). Depends on what you're after. I tend to recommend it for HipHop, Dub and Dancehall fans, but not for lovers of slammin' 4/4 Techno. Others will disagree. Such is life in Head-Fi land.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #14,667 of 18,765
Its just a flavour, sometimes i want it, sometimes i don't. I find la900 doesn't need to double down on bass thump although sometimes i like the effect. I find it helps some genres where bass is not heavy. Any rate if you have the cash, i love this hobby for that, its like creating different sound rooms. 

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #14,668 of 18,765
TH900 lack a bass slam...wait....
etysmile.gif

LOL!!!

They have a kick and I use them for EDM and other bass heavy tracks.  Granted mine are modified but still they aren't lacking.  I have a pair of ear buds that are known to be rather bass heavy.  I used them for the first time in weeks and wow talk about zero midrange.  The "slam" was ever so present because that's the only frequency it could play.  

At the end of the day I don't critically listen.  Life's too short for that.  I just throw on either my Fostex or Sennhesier and just enjoy the music.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back