Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 30, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #14,387 of 18,765
Dec 31, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #14,392 of 18,765
which part of the utopia's fr are you eq-ing?

I mimicked Tyll's EQ settings in his Utopia review as I felt the same in that the Utopia's sound signature is pretty much perfect already and just needed a touch of bass boost.

(image from Tyll's review)

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #14,395 of 18,765
If anyone finds the Utopia's bass lacking they should check their setup. Regardless of what the measurements show these cans do not sound bass shy to me in my setup. Even when switching from the LA900 the subjective impression is of better balanced bass as opposed to not enough bass.

Having said this I do not find the er4p bass shy with deep insertion and also think the wonderful k10au is just on the edge of being too warm so perhaps i just prefer a close to neutral presentation.

Happy New Year to all!

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #14,396 of 18,765
having heard the utopia, i wouldn't change a thing personally speaking, but if someone prefers their utopia to have more bass presence then that's their prerogative. if tyll hertsen feels the need to tweak the sound signature of the can that he has proclaimed as "the best headphone in the world", then it just goes to show that "the best" doesn't necessarily equate with perfection for everyone.

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #14,397 of 18,765
If anyone finds the Utopia's bass lacking they should check their setup. Regardless of what the measurements show these cans do not sound bass shy to me in my setup. Even when switching from the LA900 the subjective impression is of better balanced bass as opposed to not enough bass.

Having said this I do not find the er4p bass shy with deep insertion and also think the wonderful k10au is just on the edge of being too warm so perhaps i just prefer a close to neutral presentation.

Happy New Year to all!

The er4p, even with custom molded deep insertion tips, could be considered bass shy as compared to the TH900.  It's all subjective and if you like a more neutral presentation then that's what connects you, emotionally, to the music which is what the artist intended.  We all have different SQ preferences because we all have variances in hearing.

What I hear live isn't always neutral because room/venue acoustics and position in the room/venue affect what we hear (frequency and timing).  For me, with a little EQ the bass comes through but is more defined and taught on the er4p and the midrange isn't as recessed as compared to the TH900. I just wish it had more soundstage depth.  Not enough playback software offers EQ.  Fortunately, for me, Roon 1.3 (coming some time this month) will have a DSP engine that offers parametric EQ.

Jan 2, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #14,398 of 18,765
I said to hell with the Denon d7200 and decided to join the club! Looking forward to receiving my TH-900's. 

beerchug.gif

Jan 2, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #14,400 of 18,765
  I said to hell with the Denon d7200 and decided to join the club! Looking forward to receiving my TH-900's. 

beerchug.gif

Feeling sorry for your wallet and happy for your ears! :)

I will send my TH900 to MoonAudio in a few days to get it recabled with a Silver Dragon V3 and balanced 4XLR connector. Getting ready for Audio Nirvana with the soon-to-be-mine Sony TA-ZH1ES amplifier.
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back