Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 14, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #14,147 of 18,765
  Someone please help me out. I borrowed my friend's TH900 and Grace amp. They are still with me. I have HD598 for my own. As I come back from TH900 to HD598, it feels like there is a blanket between my ear and the drivers of HD598. Honestly, my first feeling was as if I am using a $1 earphone from Dollar Tree. What I know, TH900 has ruined me forever.

I will buy TH900 at some point. But I cannot afford it right now. Is there any other headphones within $300 range that will keep me satisfied for a year or two? Thanks.

Try out the Massdrop variants of Fostex headphones.

Oct 14, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #14,149 of 18,765
care to elaborate?

I thought I've done that in earlier posts, didn't want to repeat myself (for which I have a tendency so tried to restrain myself :).
I hear an upper midrange hardness in the Utopia sound that is very similar to the hardness heard with my former beryllium mids+tweeter speakers, and based on the experience I've had with trying to fix that I don't want to do it with the Utopia. Even apart from that issue, I prefer Stax (the 009, the 007 Mk2, and the modded 007 Mk1). Sorry for the off-topic BTW, I brought it up here because the [well, modded] TH900 kept up so well against the Focals.

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #14,151 of 18,765
Wowza! Been absent from HF for a couple of weeks, and when I came back I thought, oh well, someone must have made one joke too many about Hawaiian shirts. Looks like the shirt came back with a vengeance to haunt this thread, lol!

Seriously though, even if the sea has calmed a little bit by now, I think it has to be pointed out that Hawaiian Santa only singled out one thing about the TH-900. He didn't really say it was bad on all fronts, only that it sounded so bright and aggressive that he didn't really care to listen long enough to discover its redeeming qualities, and he very clearly faulted the pads for that. He even said the pad change made it sound a lot better. I for one would certainly like to try that, because the treble as it is really can be hard to stomach, so yeah, this is one of the increasingly rare instances where I kind of share his opinion. Also, his laughter on 9.00 was just so smug it really made me chuckle. 
biggrin.gif

This whole thing seems once more to suggest to me that the TH-X00 or even the TH-600 would indeed have been the better choice in my case, which I've suspected for quite some time now. Oh well, what can you do. Haven't listened to my TH-900 for a long time, and seeing the vid didn't really make we want to, but perhaps I'll have a quick listen now after all, because at least I don't remember it to be quite as bad as he made it out to be. But yeah, if you are treble sensitive like me:

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #14,152 of 18,765
I thought I've done that in earlier posts, didn't want to repeat myself (for which I have a tendency so tried to restrain myself :).
I hear an upper midrange hardness in the Utopia sound that is very similar to the hardness heard with my former beryllium mids+tweeter speakers, and based on the experience I've had with trying to fix that I don't want to do it with the Utopia. Even apart from that issue, I prefer Stax (the 009, the 007 Mk2, and the modded 007 Mk1). Sorry for the off-topic BTW, I brought it up here because the [well, modded] TH900 kept up so well against the Focals.

i see. i don't necessarily associate upper midrange hardness with crystal clear sound - hence my post, but no matter.

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #14,153 of 18,765
... I think it has to be pointed out that Hawaiian Santa only singled out one thing about the TH-900. He didn't really say it was bad on all fronts, only that it sounded so bright and aggressive that he didn't really care to listen long enough to discover its redeeming qualities, and he very clearly faulted the pads for that. He even said the pad change made it sound a lot better...

tyll finding the th900 intolerably bright and largely attributing it to the stock pads, has already been mentioned if i recall rightly. and it's hardly surprising that the th900's "redeeming qualities" we're lost on him given that he couldn't remove it from his head quickly enough. he did say it was pretty tho. :wink:

Oct 15, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #14,155 of 18,765
  To my ears, TH900 > Elear > EL-8C

The TH900 has the instrumentation further away than the Elear, so in some ways the Elear is easier to hear the placing of instruments, but I like the presentation of the TH900.

Ive compared my th600 with my friend's T90, even an open cans can't beat the soundstage of fostex offer. Really? wondering about this... but a closed cans fostex is another level...

Oct 15, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #14,156 of 18,765
I don't know how they do it, but I love it. I don't think there is another headphone out there that could beat the TH900 at what it does. My favorite genre is electronic music, especially EDM and it blows everything else out of the water.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #14,157 of 18,765
  I don't know how they do it, but I love it. I don't think there is another headphone out there that could beat the TH900 at what it does. My favorite genre is electronic music, especially EDM and it blows everything else out of the water.

I'm sure there is: the LA-900.

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #14,158 of 18,765

Yep. Most of my music sounds more "correct" on HD800S. But whenever I play some good trance music, TH900 makes everything else sounds off.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #14,159 of 18,765
Awesome I tell you, whats correct anyway. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back