Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 7, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #14,104 of 18,765
At least for me the resale value of TH900 was already too low since I paid 1500€ for mine, and nowadays one can find them frequently going for $1000 new. On the other hand, everything ordered outside EU gets slapped with pretty hefty VAT in my country, so if I were to sell mine, maybe I could still get a decent resale price. Not going to happen though, as I enjoy my TH900s immensely.

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #14,105 of 18,765
TH900s are to my mind the best bass can around. I've got the Shure 1540s, Pro900s, EL-8C and the SE846s and the TH900s are just something special. The emphasis just the right frequencies to make music so much fun to listen to. Listening to my 1540's afterwards just makes the base seem bloated and loose compared to the TH900s. I still really enjoy the detail and bass of the SE846s but they are an IEM so they don't have the same feel. The Pro900s are still really great, but they lack detail in the mids compared to the TH900s.

If there is a better headphone for bass than the TH900 I don't know what it is. Maybe the Focal Elear is that headphone? I will have to listen to them at my local headphone shop to see if they can beat the TH900s.

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #14,107 of 18,765
I have owned the th900s since 2012 and i think the Pioneer SEMaster 1 has better base in terms of balance. The funtastic th900 certainly have more bass quantity, i find the sem1 have a perfect 'quantity' of bass along with their 'quantity' of mids & treble. I also own the HD800 which sounds at times (not always) bass anaemic after listening to the th900s. The Pioneers sound like the TH900 had a baby with the HD800s, a beautiful lovechild. I dont pay too much attention to Tyll even thouvh i like his website, he usually doesnt review headphones if they dont measure well. I also could never understand how the Denons were on the WOF & the TH900 mk1 got zero ink when they were released in 2012. Now if he had of reviewed them & said they wdre not his cup of tea that's fine. What I'm not keen on is when the elephant is in the room and reviewers are whistling as if there is nothing to see here.

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #14,108 of 18,765
I completly agree with you mrtim6.  Though the bass don't hit that low as Th900. SEM1 have a sound that is fantastic and very open.  It is a true mix of Th900 and Senn's HD800. I was very close to get SEM1 instead of TH900, luckly my friend got them. 
Strange it didn't get more love on head fi.

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #14,109 of 18,765
To me personally, there is a whole spectrum of low bass then high treble....the best headphones is the one that carry out each and everyone of them While remaining balanced enough. The 900 has deep diving bass that is so tight with a lot of textures and I have yet to See any other thing that does better, 900 also has those tip top trebles. It may not be your cup of tea, and you can personally prefer Koss Porta Pro to my 900, but it doesn't mean that my 900 is any less enjoyable. In fact, it is a much technically advantaged compare to thX00 and others, whether you have the ability to hear and enjoy the differences is non of my issue, and hence anyone that don't have similar ability or Personal preferences will be discredited by me in my opinion and the same goes for you and your Porta Pro, period.

I would love to check out SE M1, and compare to Z1R as they are almost similar in design :D. But for now, my 900 is still my end game

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #14,110 of 18,765
listening to the th900 as i type and thoroughly enjoying it. there's an organic quality to its presentation that renders acoustic bass and drums so well to my ears.

i'd love to hear the se-master 1 too but that doesn't look likely, which is disappointing. i should have an opportunity to hear the utopia and mdr-z1r in the next few weeks however, which i'm looking forward to.

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #14,111 of 18,765
... I dont pay too much attention to Tyll even thouvh i like his website, he usually doesnt review headphones if they dont measure well. I also could never understand how the Denons were on the WOF & the TH900 mk1 got zero ink when they were released in 2012. Now if he had of reviewed them & said they wdre not his cup of tea that's fine. What I'm not keen on is when the elephant is in the room and reviewers are whistling as if there is nothing to see here.

the measurements for the th900 have been up on innerfidelity for quite some time. tyll's practice is to listen to and measure headphones, so he would have heard the th900 but elected not to review it. he rarely reviews cans that lack redeeming qualities to his ears. the th900 was included in his comparative survey of foster variants. i doubt that he would have commented on it otherwise.

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #14,112 of 18,765
listening to the th900 as i type and thoroughly enjoying it. there's an organic quality to its presentation that renders acoustic bass and drums so well to my ears.

i'd love to hear the se-master 1 too but that doesn't look likely, which is disappointing. i should have an opportunity to hear the utopia and mdr-z1r in the next few weeks however, which i'm looking forward to.

Agreed, and look forward to your comparison soon

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #14,113 of 18,765

If there is a better headphone for bass than the TH900 I don't know what it is. Maybe the Focal Elear is that headphone? 

Not even close

Users who are viewing this thread

Back