Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 3, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #14,056 of 18,765
Measuring treble is problematic. Subjectively yes, the stock TH900 treble is on the hot side, but I agree it is less of a problem than the HD800 6KHz spike.

When I measured the TH900 with various pads and dampings, there was no major problems with the treble spikes on either of them. Yes, there were relative spikes, but nothing to worry about if your subjective sense tells it's OK. The dips (notches) are more problematic IMHO since they cause a certain unnatural coloration when compared with Stax reference-like mids.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/763965/fostex-th900-mods/150#post_12536348
http://www.head-fi.org/t/802704/th-900-fostex-ez-simple-mods-and-other-fostex-dynamic-variants-x00-denon-more-bass-mid-soundstage-smooth-trebles/135#post_12533488

I have also compared my modded TH900 with the Elear and Utopia, and even if I would not need a closed headphone, and I would not have better open headphones (Stax), I would think twice whether to buy the Utopia (hardness in upper mids), or the Elear (more musical, but still a hard sound). While it is downright amazing what Focal achieved with the Elear and Utopia, I would choose the Hifiman HE1000 (v2), or X (v2), or Stax 007 or Stax 009 any time over the Focals, but that just means I like them more, not that they would be better. And the modded TH900 definitely plays in the same ballpark as the Elear, even though the latter is better overall (though closed vs open headphones is not fair comparison).

Oct 3, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #14,057 of 18,765
  Hi again :)
Thanks for your input regarding the Kennerton Standard pads , you saved me a lot frustration
beerchug.gif

I received the Lowten Angle Pads yesterday and i think it has the same effect of the Kennerton pads
smaller sound stage + mids little bit more forward + lower bass , missing sub bass  ,,
stiff and not comfortable like the original at all  ... so don't bother ..

Also i tried the Lowten mod ,, i didn't like ,, it kills the triple to much ,, i think i will remove it .. not sure yet ..

Regarding the Micro iDSD ... Really you are missing a lot of the magic .. TH-900 derisive a better amp/dac
( i will try your sitting and see how it goes )

i tried last week the Mojo ,,, it was better than iDSD but not the best combination ( still enjoyable) .

For me the Mojo as a dac and Audeze Deckard as amp are amazing and the perfect match till now ..

Your welcome :) glad that I didn't ordered Lowten Angle pads, on which I was clearly hesitating also, hehe. Moreover the Lowten costs the double compared to the Kennerton ones.
After reading here and there, looks like you are definitely right, iDSD is definitely not matching perfectly TH900, so time to move on!
I'm currently hesitating between the Fostex HP-A8C (which seems perfect for TH900 but only this headphones unfortunately, but seems having a better solo amp) and Audeze Deckard (which seems excellent with TH900 and matching many other cans also, moreover the Audeze one is a bit less pricy).
What do you think about these two ? did you had the chance to try TH900 with them maybe?
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers'

Oct 3, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #14,058 of 18,765
  I received my pair of Kennerton Standard pads for my TH900, and was a bit disappointed with them.
It lost a bit of soundstage, there was overall more details but highs become a bit tiresome, also high-mids comes more forwarded, and finally bass lost many of his original performance (sub-bass more affected). It’s like I’m listening to anther headphone, definitely.
Also, comfort was much better with original pads. On the Kennerton ones, it is more hard, and listening with them after 30 mins begin to hurt a bit (at least for me).

The effect is similar to when Stax 007 and 009 pads were used on the TH900, except that they were more balanced, more comfortable and much better quality than the TH900 pads.
So the Kennerton pads are forgettable as well (joining the Brainwavz pads in this). 

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #14,059 of 18,765

Hi again :)
Thanks for your input regarding the Kennerton Standard pads , you saved me a lot frustration
beerchug.gif

I received the Lowten Angle Pads yesterday and i think it has the same effect of the Kennerton pads
smaller sound stage + mids little bit more forward + lower bass , missing sub bass  ,,
stiff and not comfortable like the original at all  ... so don't bother ..

Also i tried the Lowten mod ,, i didn't like ,, it kills the triple to much ,, i think i will remove it .. not sure yet ..

Regarding the Micro iDSD ... Really you are missing a lot of the magic .. TH-900 derisive a better amp/dac
( i will try your sitting and see how it goes )

i tried last week the Mojo ,,, it was better than iDSD but not the best combination ( still enjoyable) .

For me the Mojo as a dac and Audeze Deckard as amp are amazing and the perfect match till now ..

Your welcome :) glad that I didn't ordered Lowten Angle pads, on which I was clearly hesitating also, hehe. Moreover the Lowten costs the double compared to the Kennerton ones.
After reading here and there, looks like you are definitely right, iDSD is definitely not matching perfectly TH900, so time to move on!
I'm currently hesitating between the Fostex HP-A8C (which seems perfect for TH900 but only this headphones unfortunately, but seems having a better solo amp) and Audeze Deckard (which seems excellent with TH900 and matching many other cans also, moreover the Audeze one is a bit less pricy).
What do you think about these two ? did you had the chance to try TH900 with them maybe?
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers'

lawton should be full upgrade. cups, pads, dampening and lastly the cable. The synergy of complete upgrade makes sonic sense, the cost justification is relative to the individual, i find it so.

All i can say concerning amping th900 or la900 is its pretty easy being low impedance. I kept a8 as it reaches down low and adds some bite to the mids. The timber is not perfect and agree not sure about other headphones although one could always amp it. AKM chipsets are alright in my books. A8 portrays drums well.  The TT as an example adds muscular thump to the low end even a growl, but doesn't reach for the down low as it is tight and sonically detailed and correct timber. Its always a preference thing and i still use my a8 la900 combo almost exclusively. Thats all i can say about it. Hugo is fine for portable use but suffers a little digitietis when paired with la900.

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #14,060 of 18,765
i understand where you're coming from, but if a can sounds good to you, it doesn't necessarily follow that it probably is. subjectivists should avoid using absolutes. :wink:

Yes agreed, although we are still missing something here. IF the product sounds GOOD to YOU, it's quite irrelevant how it sounds to someone else as YOU will be the one using it. You will know if the treble is problematic or if there is bass bloat, guess if you don't know that then you will need a reveiwer you trust to bring these points to light.

I think my original stance on this was a result of people's reaction to Tylls negative reveiw, it changes nothing to those who love this headphone. Makes me cringe the thought of people questioning their own opinion after hearing someone else dislike something.

When I am talking of my own opinion on something I have tried ( as I was ) it is absolute, so there :cool:

Oct 3, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #14,061 of 18,765
the addition of "you" was required. the use of "good" as a descriptor for sound is almost meaningless, but that shouldn't concern a subjectivist anyways. nor should the opinion of a reviewer. :wink:

i agree that folks shouldn't allow tyll's negative review to diminish their appreciation of the th900 and the enjoyment that it gives them. it certainly hasn't affected mine.

your opinion won't be absolute if you happen to change it, but it is yours and that's all that matters - if you're a subjectivist. :wink:

Oct 3, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #14,062 of 18,765

smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers'

From my reading ,, the HP-A8 has AK4399 chipset which is regarded as worm laid back sounding dac ,,
it should match the th900 and any bright headphone better than the deckard which is a tad bright
(very little bit , make it more crisp)

so choice is depending on your next headphone you are looking for , if it is bright or worm ?

For me i enjoy the deckard with mostly worm headphones ( LCD-X , AQ NightHawk , HE-400 )
but my favored one is the 900 even if its bright ,, i like the bass with extra details and that sound stage << yem yem
which i only heard  with the HE1000 with double price ..

btw the mojo as  a dac is phenomenal ,, it give liquid organic smooth sound
i ordered one for me after testing it for the last 2 weeks ,,
i think if you get the deckard or the HP-A8 ,, mojo will be a good upgrade .

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #14,063 of 18,765
Tyll is known to like darker headphones, see hd600/650 and LCD's review.
He don't talk about anything other than the brightness of TH900. Well this is Fostex and not american Audeze. The faulty 
isn't that high either. Another strange thing is that Fostex didn't change its sound signature as often as Audeze does.
And finally he only likes Massdrop Fostex products.
He don't speak about the Bass or soundstage which is weird.
But honestly, if you don't have anything nice to say about headphones Tyll then say nothing at all.
Should I stop enjoying TH900 because one mans opinion is bad?
Do my headphones sounds different because of it?
Honestly some of his opinions are biased and I stoped using Tyll as an objective reference
long time ago. So shame for the intentions were noble.
Probably Tyll thinks he is the expert when we speak about Japanese sound.
He was exellent on Audeze sound though I have problem following which sound signature he is speaking about since they change it so often.
But again, Fostex don't send him a paycheck.

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #14,064 of 18,765
Lol, are u saying Massdrop cut some deals ? I mean really ? To me it seems wrong to rave the product which was engineered to be inferior and gimp down the product which were engineered to be superior....or may be the engineers didn't know what to do and the market team were all Herp and Derp....

But I refuse that :D as I am very super happy with that 900

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #14,065 of 18,765
the addition of "you" was required. the use of "good" as a descriptor for sound is almost meaningless, but that shouldn't concern a subjectivist anyways. nor should the opinion of a reviewer. :wink:

i agree that folks shouldn't allow tyll's negative review to diminish their appreciation of the th900 and the enjoyment that it gives them. it certainly hasn't affected mine.

your opinion won't be absolute if you happen to change it, but it is yours and that's all that matters - if you're a subjectivist. :wink:[/quote.

Hmmmm. Cheers for that .

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #14,066 of 18,765
To me as well Whitigir, still some people thinks that the Massdrop products are the evolution of TH900.
To me it seems that Tyll is of the same opinion. Since people (suprisingly) have such a big respect for him, they believe every word he is saying. And took the opinion as pure truth. TH900 didn't change the sound because a Audeze fan say that.
I don't agree with him and must admit that I can't take it serious since he don't write or say anything particular about the headphone.
It reminds me of his Ultrasone review which wasn't only unfurtunate but also crude and childish.
From such a person it is shameful you dont get anything constructive.
Such a dissapointment.

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #14,069 of 18,765
i have th-x00 mahogany and th-900, imho TH-900 is vshape and x00 is more to flat. so well...
talk about review, i guess you guys know about Zeos, z review on youtube. To me, his review 80% talk about the negative thing of some product, appreciated it tho! this guy just love stax 2170, mad dog, hd600, the rest just ok and suck. but he fallin in love with TH-900. Human Preference.

Furthermore, for me TH-900 is my best personal for my some music preference. it is fantastic in EDM, hiphop or any pop modern music nowadays, it works great in rock as well. Also i did try on Japanese music, Larc 'n ciel, sound awesome! even tho i don't know what are they saying, lol. Sorry, but i do not listen to classical or orchestra or analytical music that need to be serious and thinking, it just not my cup of tea. I'm looking for fun and enjoyment listening music.

In the nut shell, I choose what i listen to, and find which cans i prefer and suitable to for my music and taste.

cheers!

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #14,070 of 18,765
  And finally he only likes Massdrop Fostex products.
He don't speak about the Bass or soundstage which is weird.

That is right, people who value measurements do like the flatter frequency response of the various Massdrop TH-X00, especially the first one which had much less notch around 500 Hz and more even mids. That is mainly due to the wood type used for the cups. The later versions of the X00 (Purpleheart) had again the notch. All the Massdrops use TH600 drivers, so they should be compared with Fostex products using the same driver.

However, when you listen to the TX00 variants against the TH900, it is clear they are more muffled, with narrower sound stage and less musical. It happens often that the better measuring equipment sound worse. The reason is that we are chasing to optimize only a part of a whole picture. Good FR is only one of them. I often say that harmonic structure is also very important, and how damping works in the cabinet etc. This is a choice the designer makes. Fostex has clearly let the TH900 a bit "loose", but that is also why they do so fabulously what they do. It is a compromise yes, but a pretty good one.

Tyll also preferred a Stax 007 Mk2 with the so called "port mod". I have tried that and also measured the result. Indeed, there are some benefits in the port mod, but it affects almost everything else than FR in a negative way: sound stage, dynamics, muffles the sound etc. I clearly disliked the port mod, and I may be in disagreement with measurement purists in this, but who cares.

However, Tyll is very professional in what he does, and produces consistent measurements with also a subjective opinion. I don't agree with a few judgments he made, but the positive contribution of his work is much, much bigger. One just needs to understand how to use the data he produces, and how does it correlate with their own subjective judgment. It is worth checking out the things he mentions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back