Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 13, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #13,966 of 18,761
Where is the name Lawton ? He invented the headphones right ?
biggrin.gif

At least someone who knows his history here.

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #13,967 of 18,761
I am about to buy a TH-900, but I would love your input on my little situation regarding powering it. 

Well, I use an RME Fireface UC as my audio-hub for everything in my entertainment centre - PC, guitar, ps4, blu-ray, synth etc. are all connected to it. For sound I have a couple of Event Opal monitors as well as my current headphone - a Beyer DT770 PRO (250 ohm). Very happy with how everything sound (the Opals especially are completely ridiculous!).

While I understand that the RME has a rather powerful and decent headphone output, would I get the best out of the TH-900 by adding a headphone amplifier to my setup? I understand that the headphone output of the RME Fireface is 30 ohms, which I guess means that it isn't optimal when paired with a low impendance headphone? I also asked RME by mail how powerful the output of the headphone output is, and this was their answer: "it [COLOR=222222]delivers +17 dBu = 5,5 V RMS = 100 mW at 300 Ohm. Maximum at 150 Ohm is just under 200 mW". [/COLOR]

So what do you think, would it be best to go for a stand alone amplifier as well? I read that the Marantz HD-Dac1 seems to be a good pairing for the TH-900, and it's in a good price range for me. Also, how would I connect it to the Fireface, by analog or digital connections? I'm completely new to this stuff, so all help is greatly appreciated!

Here are a link to the RME Fireface with information about its I/O capabilities: http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/fireface_uc.php

How would you characterize the Opals sound? They seem to be discontinued now, very unfortunate.

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #13,973 of 18,761
Sep 14, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #13,975 of 18,761
The TH-900 is so good.  That's probably gonna be one of my last thoughts for tonight.

Glad to hear you say it.  Funny thing is I JUST unsubscribed from the new Sony Thread right before I opened this one.  It was nice to see the hype train for a while, but I love my TH-900 cans so much, that I know I wouldn't go for those.  And since I discovered that thread from one of your posts here, this makes for a nice bookend.

Now my new OCD topic is researching a vinyl setup...  Of course, I'll be using the TH-900 from either my Peachtree Audio Decco 65, or the Unison Research SH.

Sep 14, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #13,976 of 18,761
my la900 has the bass and fun live feel covered. Im not sure my ocd is done yet with it. My preoccupation with the other side ( hd800S) has taken over, so my brain is getting kicks that way. but i keep slapping this closed head phone on and still, three years later, go wow. 

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #13,977 of 18,761
I have had my TH900 MK2's for a few weeks now.. powering with a Schiit Uber stack through an ASUS Essence STX II sound card with a fairly flat EQ. These are by far the best sounding headphones I have ever owned, enjoying the break in very much.  I usually listen to EDM, Acid Rock, Metal, Hip Hop, and Jazz. Just lovely with everything.

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #13,978 of 18,761
Glad to hear you say it.  Funny thing is I JUST unsubscribed from the new Sony Thread right before I opened this one.  It was nice to see the hype train for a while, but I love my TH-900 cans so much, that I know I wouldn't go for those.  And since I discovered that thread from one of your posts here, this makes for a nice bookend.

Now my new OCD topic is researching a vinyl setup...  Of course, I'll be using the TH-900 from either my Peachtree Audio Decco 65, or the Unison Research SH.

Indeed the train moves fast on that thread. I am quite curious about the th900 vs the mdr z1r at this point. The Th900 bass is very special, and I don't think there's another can that provides quite so much quantity while maitaining high levels of control and punch.

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #13,980 of 18,761
TH900 and EDM is a match made in heaven. They are my go-to cans for EDM, even with the LCD-3 or HE1000 sitting right beside them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back