Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 21, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #13,744 of 18,760
I might need your help here. Anyone have any experience with Lehmann black cube linear? I ordered it yesterday and cant find Any info on the synergy with Th900. My source is marantz hd dac1.

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #13,745 of 18,760
The Hugo it s clearly not the best device to amp the th900 mannaggia!
it s not a perfect can, i mean it s a flagship and I can heard it , but it has some weakness to reproduce any kind of music other than elettro
and I feel the need to equalize the mids trough some valves or jriver.. (very bad imo)
Zappa sings much less heavy from what I used to.. and i t s a real pity

still not able to try the pathos..

probably hugo is at the top for top iem, and for sure for mid iem and low-mid portable cans

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #13,746 of 18,760
  The Hugo it s clearly not the best device to amp the th900 mannaggia!
it s not a perfect can, i mean it s a flagship and I can heard it , but it has some weakness to reproduce any kind of music other than elettro
and I feel the need to equalize the mids trough some valves or jriver.. (very bad imo)
Zappa sings much less heavy from what I used to.. and i t s a real pity

still not able to try the pathos..

probably hugo is at the top for top iem, and for sure for mid iem and low-mid portable cans

let it be the Pathos and test th900 with little dot MkVI. wonderful synergy, especially when used with NOS tubes. much, much better than with the woo audio 22

Aug 22, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #13,748 of 18,760
i haven't done any headphone listening for a while but thought i'd break out the th900 for a short listen, which went longer than planned. there shouldn't be any need to state this but these are my subjective impressions.

this can has prodigious bass. i can understand some folks finding it too much but i honestly can't relate to the recent complaints that it is lacking in that area.

a criticism of the th900 is that it has a recessed midrange and it does. it has a v-shaped fr but that hasn't been an issue for me. i was listening to some female vocals and they didn't sound thin or recessed to my ears. however, they didn't sound forward or lush either as i know they would on my w3000anv. i would be reluctant to describe the midrange depression as anything more than slightly so. that's how i've always heard it and that hasn't changed this time around. and i can't agree that this limits the th900 to edm only. tho i'm sure that the th900 would be awesome for that musical genre, i also find it excellent for jazz for example.

the th900 sounds remarkably open and expansive for a closed can. music emerges from a black background and is presented with great clarity. resolution and instrument separation are befitting of a high-end can and the dynamic, visceral presentation makes for an engaging or "fun" listen.

this has all been said before of course but when you rediscover it after a lengthy absence, then i think it bears repeating here in the th900 thread.

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #13,749 of 18,760
Hey guys not sure if this is a repost but has anyone seen this?

http://fostexsound.ru/products/headband/th-900-black-limited-edition/

Its supposed to be a limited edition th900 with gloss black cups....

Looks pretty damn nice.

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #13,750 of 18,760
Aug 22, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #13,751 of 18,760
Yes, I've heard if you order a minimum of 100 headphones from Fostex, you can choose your own color. So my assumption is that this Russian dealer ordered 100 custom-colored TH900's. Personally, I wish they retained the same "aluminum foil" look but just used a dark blue instead of red...that would've been stunning!

P.S. Carbon isn't crap, it looks awesome if properly implemented. 
wink.gif

Here's what I mean compared to the original (excuse my poor photoshop skills, I'm not an artist):

Aug 22, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #13,752 of 18,760
The black has a darth vader look to it. 

Aug 22, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #13,753 of 18,760
  Hey guys im looking for a little advice. I have a stationary setup and i keep my TH900's there but i was wondering if you could help me get another pair of headphones stationary/portable option both amp'd keeping it a max of $400? I don't want to go all out for a stationary/portable headphone.   cant be open back but still want some good sound stage. I was honestly leaning more towards the Oppo PM-3.  I mainly listen to Rock everything from all generations and hardcore/metalcore, rap/hiphop and techno/dubstep.  After reading more into the Oppo PM-3 ive read that if they lack in anything its bass but i dont mind EQ'ing slightly. i was told they can handle EQ'ing bass really well, nothing like the TH900's though lol.  Thank you very much in advance and i look forward to hearing your suggestions :)

I am in the hunt for a semi portable version of the Fostex TH900's and the Oppo PM-3 just weren't it. The sound was still clean and crisp but it lacked LOWs pretty badly and didnt have much soundstage. Clamping force was pretty strong especially for a person who wears glasses.  I wish there were more places in Cincinnati to demo quality headphone like these.

Does anybody have any suggestions or is what i am looking for just non existant? Thanks guys

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #13,755 of 18,760

Users who are viewing this thread

Back