Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 17, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #13,036 of 18,765
@defbear - i wasn't suggesting you as a test subject. :wink: it's more a question of whether any differences can be heard between them at all in a controlled blind listening test. and don't forget that the ability for the wooden ear cups to resonate is inhibited by the damping material placed inside them, along with the ear pads and head band assembly that are attached to them. i would think that tone wood has to resonate to produce a sound, let alone a tone.

we want to hear acoustic musical instruments resonating freely, whereas hi fi manufacturers aim to eliminate/minimise unwanted resonances and sound reflections in their headphones and loudspeakers that could color the sound that they are attempting to faithfully reproduce. musical instruments aren't really analogous to hi fi equipment even though they are often likened to each other.

anyways, until lawton audio's claims are independently tested and verified, then these discussions will probably go on 'til the cows come home.

May 17, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #13,037 of 18,765
I guess, have anyone seen any movie theaters made by pure Tone wood all around and have different sound to another, or to target a special/unique sounds, Or do these guys know nothing about sound reproductions?
I bet they know plenty. Besides the fact that they get paid and keep their jobs they have created a convincing presentation. I doubt they are changing wood panels around for Star Wars vs Love Story. Or do they? That would be really convincing. A recording studio I am called to just laid in all Bamboo flooring. The owner is much happier with the sound of the studio. It was an older hardwood floor before that.

May 17, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #13,038 of 18,765
I bet they know plenty. Besides the fact that they get paid and keep their jobs they have created a convincing presentation. I doubt they are changing wood panels around for Star Wars vs Love Story. Or do they? That would be really convincing. A recording studio I am called to just laid in all Bamboo flooring. The owner is much happier with the sound of the studio. It was an older hardwood floor before that.

One of my favorite recording studio Pics.  Love all the wood.  From the BigElf album, Closer to Doom.  Sounds wonderful on the THX-900.  Sooooo woody!

May 17, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #13,039 of 18,765
I'm pretty sold on Stage 2 then: pads, tuning and cups. Do the wider cups cause a significant weight increase? I wouldn't want the headphones to become uncomfortable.

May 17, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #13,040 of 18,765
I'm pretty sold on Stage 2 then: pads, tuning and cups. Do the wider cups cause a significant weight increase? I wouldn't want the headphones to become uncomfortable.

Weighs more and stays better on the head due to the pads. Not as heavy as an LCD-X though.
I have no problem with it, I have more of a problem with phones that feel to light and don't clamp enough tto make them feel secure on your head.
I'm not for excessive clamping either though, just the feeling of not moving on your head.
I find the TH-900 and even more so the W3000ANV too light and loose.

May 18, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #13,043 of 18,765
Pulled the trigger on the Stage 2 Lawton mods (pads, tuning, cups). I have sort of a black theme going on in my room so ended up going with the Jet Black African Ebony wood 
wink.gif

Can't wait to see the finished product!

May 19, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #13,046 of 18,765
Oh my goodness... Did I really say that the TH-900 isn't good for electronic dance music? 

Because I just turned on this album (on CD, of course - just showing a youtube link so people can check it out): 

And it sounds fantastic on my TH-900. I guess it's those wooden cups... it gives the bass-kicks a nice, satisfying feel. I tend to like nightclubs with wooden floors, because the bass sounds better, and I'm guessing wood helps with headphones as well! 

May 19, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #13,048 of 18,765
I'll definitely check it out, as Eric Prydz is a good one. I actually told a friend recently, that we should check out his next show here in LA.

It's funny you mention him, because Digweed plays a lot of Pryda material. And Prydz appeared in Digweed's latest gig here in Los Angeles - not as a guest DJ or anything, but was sitting in the back, enjoying the show. 

You should check out the youtube video I linked, if you're into Prydz. 

May 19, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #13,050 of 18,765
Oh my goodness... Did I really say that the TH-900 isn't good for electronic dance music? 

Because I just turned on this album (on CD, of course - just showing a youtube link so people can check it out): 

And it sounds fantastic on my TH-900. I guess it's those wooden cups... it gives the bass-kicks a nice, satisfying feel. I tend to like nightclubs with wooden floors, because the bass sounds better, and I'm guessing wood helps with headphones as well! 

i doubt that they're comparable but closed headphone cups tend to enhance bass frequencies more than open cups do, regardless of what material they're made from. wood cups do look sweet tho and the th900's look deluxe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back