Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 28, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #12,482 of 18,761
You dont need to recable the TH900s as the wires are already in place for balanced, just change the connector on the end to a 4-pin XLR. (I assume the same can be done with an RSA connector)

Cost me £35 inc postage to get it done, the cable is already great IMO.

Yeah, this is the best way to do it if you were going to change to copper. Unless silver then

Jan 28, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #12,483 of 18,761
I too am considering recabling the TH900 with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon but was afraid it might be too bright.

Will likely use with either Chord Hugo or Schiit Yggdrasi / Schiit Ranarok combo.

Anyone have experience with the TH900 with Moon Silver Dragon?

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #12,484 of 18,761
  I too am considering recabling the TH900 with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon but was afraid it might be too bright.

Will likely use with either Chord Hugo or Schiit Yggdrasi / Schiit Ranarok combo.

Anyone have experience with the TH900 with Moon Silver Dragon?

I haven't heard a TH900 with a silver cable, but i would agree the TH900s really dont want to be any brighter. If you think the stock cable is too bulky etc i might even suggest re-sheathing the original cable (this seems possible). Just seems a crime to let all that good copper go to waste.

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #12,489 of 18,761
Got it!

Then based on what I've read, the Hugo or Hugo TT might be a better match for the TH900 with or without the Silver Dragon upgrade.

Silver Dragon is nice but expensive. As a prior poster said if you have basic soldering skills it's not too hard to do the cabling yourself. For example, I buy raw/bare, uninsulated 5N Cardas Pure Silver cable for $5.25/ft 23ga and for a 4 foot cable that costs me roughly $5.25*4 feet*4 wire total (2 for each driver)= $84. Then I buy Teflon tubing which is very cheap and negligible to push the silver cable through, then a connector and solder it myself. Costs like $150 max for a cable that would end up costing $500-600+ on the retail market.

Jan 29, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #12,490 of 18,761
 I buy raw/bare, uninsulated 5N Cardas Pure Silver cable

Where do you buy it from? I can't seem to find the raw silver metal spools anywhere. 

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #12,491 of 18,761
Yeah, the differences is not worth $500-600 price tag. Works is done by me so it costed material and self labor, and I only simply answer his question. Beside, not all silver cables ar wthe same, most of the time people is confused of silver plated copper for being silver. They are very different, you can simply do some researches on electric conductivity, capacitance ....etc...two different layers of conducive material is worse than 1 single pure material to transmit the analog signals, the frequencies need to be pure and efficient to conduct the best of it.

The way I see it ? You have water flow 1000 gallons per hour, over 10 hours you have 10,000 gallons. To restrict your pipeline to be deficient down to 5%, you will loose 500 gallons over the course of 10 hours.

Now, take that into analog signals and frequency, we are approaching the days and age of 16/44.1 to be the standard (the least of cd quality) of high-res audio....these better engineered devices are there for this purposes. Now, to have 5% deficiency or 44,100 hz per second would equal to 2,205 Hz per second loss....and that is only 1 signal (bass for example), now...how many different signals were composed onto the sound track ? 10-20 ? Multiply that...you would lose 22,050 hz per second over the song with 10 instruments composed on. Now give it 180 seconds which is 3 minutes, you will lose 3,969,000 Hz....that is not much ?

I hear some people asked me, so does the studio which were used to compose and engineer the sound track matter ? What cables do they use ? How about your sources, gears, solders, components ? My answer to all of those above ? Deficiency is deficiency, it doesn't matter what come before the deficiency, but the end result is that you are getting 5% deficiency.

The studio can use very bad cables and equipments....normally they don't, and composed 100% of the sound track they think you want to hear....when it come to you, and say you spend all the money you could on the gears that would "reproduce" 100% of this track....by going through your bad copper cables, you now will only hear 95% of it

What we have here is the word "reproduction" deficiency always count period.

Again, to have the cables to cost that much ? It is snake oil, I improve my stuff with basic electrical knowledges, and I enjoy the result that it brings. On some special track of cd quality 16/44.1 I can specifically point out between a stock headphones to the silver recabled headphones (the missing sounds). I don't have bat ears or sonar receptions, what I hear, you can also hear.

Also note that, toe ultimately reproduce the track as it was meant to be ? 5% could cost a lot of money...in this hobby...it is
I can help you with that if you want to and not having to cut off an arm or a leg. Anybody who has basic soldering skills can help you, I will refer you to the person who sell the cables quality of silver that I had tested and witnessed the differences as well. If money is no objective and you love fancy coloring, jackets, brand on your cables, then there will be plenty.

i get that you're enthusiastic about your silver cables but there is no scientific evidence to support your claim that silver wire transmits more sound than copper wire, let alone changes it in any way. the transmission of electrical signals along a wire cable is not analogous to a volume of water flowing through a pipe. wire cables don't have bottlenecks and they don't leak. if you believe that you can hear differences between cables then fine, but i wish that you'd leave it at that, or take your claims to the sound science forum.

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #12,492 of 18,761

As above.

When I'm in Thailand I always put mine back in the box due to the levels of humidity.

Why would the inside of the box not eventually become just as humid? I'm asking not trying to be a smart ass, but to the best of my knowledge the humidity level in the box will become the same as the outside as it isn't airtight. I could be incorrect of course.

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #12,493 of 18,761
  Why would the inside of the box not eventually become just as humid? I'm asking not trying to be a smart ass, but to the best of my knowledge the humidity level in the box will become the same as the outside as it isn't airtight. I could be incorrect of course.

No worries.  :)  

I have those little silica gel packets inside the box so its not an issue.  It can also get dusty here at times so again, another good reason for me to keep it in the box. 

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #12,494 of 18,761

No worries.  :)  

I have those little silica gel packets inside the box so its not an issue.  It can also get dusty here at times so again, another good reason for me to keep it in the box. 

I did the same thing with my D7000. I had a TH900 for about 6 months and I also used the box. Safest place for sure.

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #12,495 of 18,761
I used to put my TH900 in a pelican box but that was too much of a hassle of taking it in and out. Now I just hang it on a woo audio stand and put a pillow cover over it as a cover. Works great. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back