Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 12, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #11,086 of 18,761
  The more I listen to the 900s the more I love them. I held off for a long time purchasing them because of the treble complaints, and recessed mids. I am pretty sensitive to hot treble, and coming from LCD2s I was used to amazing midrange. 

Since day one the treble has never been an issue with me, and maybe its just good synergy with my WA7, but I never felt the mids were recessed. 

Side note: The 900s pair really well with virtual surround DSPs like dolby headphone and sbx pro studio. Great for games/movies! The bass really shines here. 

i had a quibble w/some folk on another thread because i called the th900 "flagship" headphones, which they found offensive b/c they didn't think any flagship headphone should be as colored and non-neutral as the th900 are. if you look at the frequency response of the th900 the mids are indeed a bit recessed...and yet, like others have commented here, they don't seem recessed when you actually listen to them. i had a great time with the th900 when i owned them...and still believe they're worthy of being called a flagship headphone...

Sep 12, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #11,087 of 18,761
some folks find the mids recessed and others don't. some folks find the highs peaky and others don't. some folks find the bass too much and others don't. it always comes down to subjective impressions and personal preference.

speaking for myself, i've heard most of the current flagship cans and regard the th900 as one of them.

Sep 12, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #11,088 of 18,761
All the above comments are worth listening to, if you're contemplating the TH900....I've owned them for some time now and of course love them. I tested them against all the best headphones at canjam recently and their character became even more obvious....good and bad. They were never once disgraced! They are pretty easy going phones with different sources and music types and qualities. Like any phone, you will want more mids or bass, etc with different types of music or recording qualities or your personal preference....but if you want one phone to do it all...then the TH900 could accurately be described as the Porsche 911 of the flagship phones....easy to live with, does most things well and competes, although doesn't necessarily beat its exotic rivals....all at a great price.

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #11,089 of 18,761
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg
All the above comments are worth listening to, if you're contemplating the TH900....I've owned them for some time now and of course love them. I tested them against all the best headphones at canjam recently and their character became even more obvious....good and bad. They were never once disgraced! They are pretty easy going phones with different sources and music types and qualities. Like any phone, you will want more mids or bass, etc with different types of music or recording qualities or your personal preference....but if you want one phone to do it all...then the TH900 could accurately be described as the Porsche 911 of the flagship phones....easy to live with, does most things well and competes, although doesn't necessarily beat its exotic rivals....all at a great price.

True, and a really good dynamic range!

Sep 12, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #11,090 of 18,761
I agree with all of the statements above, definitely the 900 is a true flagship without a doubt.

Seems that the HD-800 fanboys will get there shorts in a knot at times when the TH-900 is mentioned.

Sep 12, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #11,091 of 18,761
I owe it to myself to one day try the hd800s at least, but for now the 900s have fulfilled my thirst for 'endgame' headphones. Just like the lcd2.2s did for about 2 years, which sadly I am probably going to sell now. 

The only itch I have right now is a new DAC. I was hoping to be satisfied with the WA7's internal dac, but it is lacking when compared to the Bifrost uber from Schiit. IMO they really give the 900s a decent sense of space when compared to the WA7s dac. 

Sep 12, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #11,092 of 18,761

That seems to be a pretty fair description. Plus its a lot easier to rent/audition headphones today that are sold on Amazon.

Sep 12, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #11,095 of 18,761
  I agree with all of the statements above, definitely the 900 is a true flagship without a doubt.

Seems that the HD-800 fanboys will get there shorts in a knot at times when the TH-900 is mentioned.

well, who cares about hd800 fanbois 
wink.gif
 i actually owned the hd800 for awhile, but they never wowed me or moved me. they're terrific for what they are (neutral, detailed, good soundstage) and if that's what people want in their headphones, then so be it. while the th900 is undoubtedly more colored and not as "flat" as some "audiophiles" might want, they are extremely detailed with a great soundstage for closed headphones. and they're a lot more "fun" than the th900...but then again, i understand most "audiophiles" don't really care about "fun"...

Sep 13, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #11,100 of 18,761
  well, who cares about hd800 fanbois 
wink.gif
 i actually owned the hd800 for awhile, but they never wowed me or moved me. they're terrific for what they are (neutral, detailed, good soundstage) and if that's what people want in their headphones, then so be it. while the th900 is undoubtedly more colored and not as "flat" as some "audiophiles" might want, they are extremely detailed with a great soundstage for closed headphones. and they're a lot more "fun" than the hd800...but then again, i understand most "audiophiles" don't really care about "fun"...

FTFY
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back