Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 10, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #11,071 of 18,761
Just purchased a pair of TH900s.  Listened to them for a couple hours last night.  Definitely an improvement over the GH1s I had before (especially for the types of music I normally listen to).

I'm definitely noticing the recessed mids, and slightly bloated bass.  Haven't experienced any treble issues like what I've read about.

Question, how much will these improve with burn in and about how many hours of burn in should I expect?

Sep 10, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #11,072 of 18,761
Just purchased a pair of TH900s.  Listened to them for a couple hours last night.  Definitely an improvement over the GH1s I had before (especially for the types of music I normally listen to).

I'm definitely noticing the recessed mids, and slightly bloated bass.  Haven't experienced any treble issues like what I've read about.

Question, how much will these improve with burn in and about how many hours of burn in should I expect?

With hugo or a8 i dont notice any bloated base or treble issues. The recessed mids are there and in my opinion, make th900 less fatiguing.
Concerning burn in its more ear and brain burn in. Physics at play concerning conductivity, resistance, for cable and amp ( various components) burn in may be a factor. But that is a topic of debate. The hp itself has little to burn in.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #11,073 of 18,761

the treble was an issue for me at first and i thought that it might be a deal breaker but for whatever reason it ceased to be. apart from that i haven't noticed any other changes in sound. i hear the mids as slightly recessed and the bass as prodigious but not bloated.

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #11,074 of 18,761
the treble was an issue for me at first and i thought that it might be a deal breaker but for whatever reason it ceased to be. apart from that i haven't noticed any other changes in sound. i hear the mids as slightly recessed and the bass as prodigious but not bloated.

In other words you find the sound to be of a mellifluous nature.

wink_face.gif

Sep 11, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #11,076 of 18,761

American language is another thing though and I notice more and more how it is infiltrating UK English....
bigsmile_face.gif

Actually, I think Urdu is having the biggest infiltration.  
:frowning2:

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #11,077 of 18,761

So funny, at first I had no issues with treble, then I stopped using headphones for a few weeks and when starting up again I found at times the treble could be bordering on too intense with some material. Took another headphone break (I still prefer speakers) and now after using the TH900 again my perception is that the treble is fine. Odd as you might think the opposite would happen. I have never found the bass bloated either. The TH 900 is a great sounding headphone and I suspect if I spent more time with headphones they would impress me even more.​

Sep 11, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #11,078 of 18,761
Brain burn in

Sep 11, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #11,079 of 18,761
Want to share some experience. Recently I got Eximus DP-1 dac/pre. And Eximus/Gustard H10/TH900 sounds very smooth, wide and precise, punchy and very musically. So now there is now any fatiguing which i had with Matrix X-Sabre.

Eximus is just a solid piece of Korean Art. Highly recommended.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #11,081 of 18,761
H10 is an absolutely nobrainer for the money. v200 is at least not worse

Sep 11, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #11,082 of 18,761
Brain burn in

Yes, I'm a proponent of brain versus mechanical burn-in, but if you read my post my experience runs counter to brain burn-in at a point which is what I found odd and ultimately what I was posting about.

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #11,083 of 18,761
a pause is as good as break brain burn in

Sep 12, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #11,084 of 18,761
The more I listen to the 900s the more I love them. I held off for a long time purchasing them because of the treble complaints, and recessed mids. I am pretty sensitive to hot treble, and coming from LCD2s I was used to amazing midrange. 

Since day one the treble has never been an issue with me, and maybe its just good synergy with my WA7, but I never felt the mids were recessed. 

Side note: The 900s pair really well with virtual surround DSPs like dolby headphone and sbx pro studio. Great for games/movies! The bass really shines here. 

Sep 12, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #11,085 of 18,761
I agree with Davisman.......never been an issue with me at any time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back