Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 8, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #10,246 of 18,765
Thanks, How about one of the Violectric amps? On another thread someone mentioned that the reason I was hearing high treble issues was because the HDVA600 and Gungnir probably weren't a good combo together. I don't want to make a mistake twice and want an amp that will go well with schiit gungnir ...no idea how to figure that out lol

is it the amp, dac or the can itself that's responsible for the bothersome treble?

May 8, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #10,247 of 18,765
Looks to be the DAC. I posted in another thread where someone with the same setup confirmed the brightness being due to the DAC. In theory, would pairing a bright DAC with a warmer amp help even it out, or best to just sell the gungnir and go for something completely different like wa7.

May 8, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #10,249 of 18,765
  Looks to be the DAC. I posted in another thread where someone with the same setup confirmed the brightness being due to the DAC. In theory, would pairing a bright DAC with a warmer amp help even it out, or best to just sell the gungnir and go for something completely different like wa7.

The Gungnir is not bright at all. I owned one for three years with various amps. Nobody has ever described it as bright that I have heard, and most certainly I wouldn't. Not sure what to say, but I recently sold my Gungnir as I wanted a change to more detailed musical presentation and less warmth which the Gun is well known for. Amazing DAC, but warmer.

May 8, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #10,250 of 18,765

Thanks, How about one of the Violectric amps? On another thread someone mentioned that the reason I was hearing high treble issues was because the HDVA600 and Gungnir probably weren't a good combo together. I don't want to make a mistake twice and want an amp that will go well with schiit gungnir ...no idea how to figure that out lol

Yulong A18 paired very well to my ear with the Gungnir and an HE 560. Never heard it with the TH 900, but based on memory and now having a TH 900 I would think the slight warmth of the A18 would be nice. I think for the TH 900 at 1.8watts @ 32ohms if memory serves me the A18 should have plenty of gusto for the Fostex.

May 8, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #10,252 of 18,765
he should try and isolate the cause of the problem before throwing more money at it

For sure, I was just making a suggestion, but your point is well taken. Maybe his brain perceives brightly
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #10,254 of 18,765
he might be sensitive to the th900's highs regardless of which dac/amp it's paired with

Definitely a possibility, but I have the same issue with the HD800 connected to the HDVA600/Gungnir. My wife also commented on how at higher volumes there was harshness in the treble.

In the past I have owned a WA7 firefly that I connected my HD700 and Denon D2000 with and thought that it sounded AMAZING. That's why after setting this up, I was surprised to find bright sensitivity in the treble.

The Gungnir is not bright at all. I owned one for three years with various amps. Nobody has ever described it as bright that I have heard, and most certainly I wouldn't. Not sure what to say, but I recently sold my Gungnir as I wanted a change to more detailed musical presentation and less warmth which the Gun is well known for. Amazing DAC, but warmer.

In the HDVA thread, there was another person with my exact setup who also agreed on the brightness of the combo of HDVA/Gungnir. Perhaps the inconsistancy lies with how well the Amp/DAC work together rather than one particular part causing issues.

May 9, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #10,258 of 18,765

Definitely a possibility, but I have the same issue with the HD800 connected to the HDVA600/Gungnir. My wife also commented on how at higher volumes there was harshness in the treble.

In the past I have owned a WA7 firefly that I connected my HD700 and Denon D2000 with and thought that it sounded AMAZING. That's why after setting this up, I was surprised to find bright sensitivity in the treble.

In the HDVA thread, there was another person with my exact setup who also agreed on the brightness of the combo of HDVA/Gungnir. Perhaps the inconsistancy lies with how well the Amp/DAC work together rather than one particular part causing issues.

I like the WA7 because it's a nice cross between tubes and SS goodness.  I also appreciate the small footprint and the aesthetic appeal...it's a nice DAC to look at period.

I have to admit I have been curious about the Bakoons, but not enough to sell the WA7 for one.  I use a KGST with my electrostats so I'm thinking my end game...for a good while is the WA7 with an external DAC and the TH900 and the KGST with the Stax SR-007A's.  

HS

May 9, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #10,259 of 18,765

I like the WA7 because it's a nice cross between tubes and SS goodness.  I also appreciate the small footprint and the aesthetic appeal...it's a nice DAC to look at period.

I have to admit I have been curious about the Bakoons, but not enough to sell the WA7 for one.  I use a KGST with my electrostats so I'm thinking my end game...for a good while is the WA7 with an external DAC and the TH900 and the KGST with the Stax SR-007A's.  

HS

That makes sense, the WA7 is quite a nice design, but the DAC does seem for lack of a better way to say this, the weak link. An external DAC would seem to make sense. Damn the WA7 is good looking.

May 9, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #10,260 of 18,765
I ended up going with the Burson Soloist + Gungnir combo. Crossing my fingers but I've read in multiple places that it pairs beautifully with the th900 as well as any audeze headphones because of its low impendance output. People swear by the Soloist + TH900....It was between that and the violectric v200

Down the line I can see myself getting a planar magnetic and the soloist with 4w output should be able to handle even a LCD-3. Hopefully good pick, certainly should be better on those headphones than the high impendance hdva600 by senn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back