Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 4, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #9,316 of 18,761
Never heard the closed LCD..  I like the 3000anv, TH900 and the Denon 7K..   However, I like open headphones better.  

So if your a closed headphone person then closed headphones it shall be.  What ever way you go the GS-X mk2 will work very well with any of them.. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #9,317 of 18,761
ALl this hate for the LCD2 makes me weep. Easily one of the best closed sounding open headphones. Yes, it's not open sounding by any means, but if you listen to it as if it was closed... amazing. Best bass, best mids, non-fatiguing highs.

But it's all about preferences. To each their own.

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #9,318 of 18,761
ALl this hate for the LCD2 makes me weep. Easily one of the best closed sounding open headphones. Yes, it's not open sounding by any means, but if you listen to it as if it was closed... amazing. Best bass, best mids, non-fatiguing highs.

That's all there is to it. That's the key. Everyone has different listening preferences. It's painful to watch your favorite headphone talked down, but as long as you enjoy listening to them, that's really all that matters.

It's like that with everything, some people like x product, others y, and others z. Whether its food, clothes, headphones, jobs, life partners, family members, websites, cars, mattresses, hamburgers, or beverages..... it's always like that.

Mar 4, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #9,319 of 18,761

Maybe all the hate directed to it is because it's an open headphone that sounds more closed than a closed headphone.

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #9,321 of 18,761

Maybe all the hate directed to it is because it's an open headphone that sounds more closed than a closed headphone.

That's what happens with all the damping it has. Doesn't stop it from sounding richer, more fluid, and more luscious than many headphones out there. It was considered the best headphone in the world for a while, and for a reason. Believe it or not, there are plenty of people that like an intimate, rich sound. Not everyone wants a vast, open soundstage for all purposes.

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #9,322 of 18,761
the lcd2 was a big deal. tried it a couple of times but the sound and physical weight wasn't for me. can understand why it has its fans tho. kinda like wrapping yourself in a warm blanket of sound.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #9,323 of 18,761
Can anybody shortly describe the difference of Denon AD-H7100 and Fostex TH-900? Is it wider scene, no bloomy bass? 

Im willing to empty my wallet today for last one... 

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #9,324 of 18,761
fostex doesn't make cans for denon anymore. the ah-d7000 was made by fostex for denon but not the ad-h7100.

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #9,325 of 18,761
  Can anybody shortly describe the difference of Denon AD-H7100 and Fostex TH-900? Is it wider scene, no bloomy bass? 

Im willing to empty my wallet today for last one... 

fostex doesn't make cans for denon anymore. the ah-d7000 was made by fostex for denon but not the ad-h7100.

Exactly. Even though I try the D7100 for music from time to time I mostly reserve it for a movie.
I can enjoy it but not straight after listening to a TH-900 anymore, it's simply on another level.
It doesn't sound anything like the older Denons made by Fostex.
It's nicely made and very comfortable though.
On its own it's a nice headphone but has been bashed so hard it's price dropped from around 1200 to about 400 now if I remember well.
Everyone wanted to compare it to it's predecessor, the D7000 which is simply on another level. What Denon was thinking is a mystery ...

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #9,326 of 18,761
So I got mine. Spent up to 2 hours at hi-fi shop. And had a chance to compare TH900 with Denon 7100 and also try HD800, Hifiman 560, LCD2. 

So TH900 are absolutely amazing and comparing to 7100 its like an earth and a sky. TH900: the scene is wider, more natural-plain sound with good basss with is nether goes bloomy. No harsh or annoying and clear. 

So since I have Westone UMPro50 and Bose QC15 for portabaly. I will probably Let my Denons go.. 

Now about Lcd2 and HD800. HD800 are more transparent and neutral. And probably will let my 650 go and get HD800 to have only this and TH900 as a complete solution. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #9,327 of 18,761
Been lurking head-fi for years now. Normally I only need to browse the site for impressions and comparisons but the TH900s changed that
biggrin.gif

I actually got mine a week ago but it had a weird issue with the assembly so I had to give it up for a replacement. It was a B-stock pair so that must have been the reason the previous buyer returned it as well.

Glad to say that the replacement is free of any issue this time, heck they even seem brand new compared to B-stock (the 1/4" TRS still had its plastic seal on the handle). Now to compare it to the T1 and other headphones. The day will be spent in utter audio bliss 
L3000.gif
!

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #9,329 of 18,761

The LCD2 is not among my favorite HP--the TH-900, HE-6, HD-800 and Grado PS1000 are--but I like the LCD2 just fine. I can see how some folks might not like it's sound, though. Their opinions do not bother me the way they used to.

It took me over 20 years and a lot of money spent on the breathless pursuit of the very best audio gears--in someone's opinion--to learn a few simple facts that should have been obvious with hindsight--I am a slow learner:

1.It is hard to believe, I know, but what others said about your favorite gear, good or bad, has no actual impact on the way it sounds.

2. A new gear with better sound does not affect the sound of the older model that you already own (and paid for). It still sounds just as good as on the day you bought it.

3. You cannot have the best of anything for very long. There is always something better out there.

Not exactly profound observations--on second thought, probably useless trivia--but they help make my hobby a more serene one. And right now I am serenely happy with three pairs of TH-900 all differently modified. And my LCD 2 still sounds just fine.

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #9,330 of 18,761
The LCD2 is not among my favorite HP--the TH-900, HE-6, HD-800 and Grado PS1000 are--but I like the LCD2 just fine. I can see how some folks might not like it's sound, though. Their opinions do not bother me the way they used to.

How would you compare th900 to ps1000? Which sounds more fun in your opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back