Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 2, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #9,016 of 18,761
all tube amps are not warm...
wink.gif

Agreed!

Many tube amps tend to emphasise the midrange relative to the frequency extremes. This balance suits the TH900 very well.

I had two pairs of TH900 modified by Lawton: one pair with a "warm" or "euphonic" wooden ear-cups and another with "analytical" wooden ear-cups (relative to the stock ear-cups). I left the third pair unchanged.

The "theory" says that the ear-cups are heavily damped acoustically so the type of wood should make no difference whatsoever. To my great surprise, the two modified pairs not only sound different from the stock pair, they also sound different from one another though they are identical in every way (same shape and size of the cups, same damping material, same upgrade cable...) except for the type of wood selected.

The biggest surprise of all was that I much prefer the pair with "analytical" wooden ear-cups! In comparing the three pairs, I discovered that the stock (unmodified) TH900 is pretty "euphonic" already. Just a modest improvement in transparency and articulation in the "analytical" pair bring the midrange and image into better focus and improve the sonic balance of this pair over the already wonderful stock headphones.

Thanks for the review. Now pass the corn :rolleyes:

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #9,017 of 18,761
I agreed and understand your opinion because my favorite match for the TH900 is with a tung Sol 6SN7 gt bgrp. This tube is very detailed and clear in all frequencies. Appaired like this, TH900 can read all frequencies from sub bass to high treble with delicacy, romantism and euphony. It's a wonderful match...amazing for me.

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #9,018 of 18,761

I had two pairs of TH900 modified by Lawton: one pair with a "warm" or "euphonic" wooden ear-cups and another with "analytical" wooden ear-cups (relative to the stock ear-cups). I left the third pair unchanged.

The biggest surprise of all was that I much prefer the pair with "analytical" wooden ear-cups! In comparing the three pairs, I discovered that the stock (unmodified) TH900 is pretty "euphonic" already. Just a modest improvement in transparency and articulation in the "analytical" pair bring the midrange and image into better focus and improve the sonic balance of this pair over the already wonderful stock headphones.

Coincidentally, I was just wondering whether that might be the case right before I clicked onto this thread. I think it's probably a matter of time before I end up with a pair...

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #9,020 of 18,761
Wow I just put in new opamps... these headphones just sing! Can't stop smiling :D

I was hesitant at first, wanted to return them since I wasn't too impressed. Sound source matters a lot with these things, very sensitive headphones.

Feb 3, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #9,021 of 18,761
  Wow I just put in new opamps... these headphones just sing! Can't stop smiling :D

I was hesitant at first, wanted to return them since I wasn't too impressed. Sound source matters a lot with these things, very sensitive headphones.

Awesome bro, the E1 ain't much chop without a little diy. The muses make a massive difference, on paper the muses don't really look like they would do too much but when you hear them you are blown away, at least that was my experience...

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #9,022 of 18,761

all tube amps are not warm...
wink.gif

Agreed!

Many tube amps tend to emphasise the midrange relative to the frequency extremes. This balance suits the TH900 very well.

The "theory" says that the ear-cups are heavily damped acoustically so the type of wood should make no difference whatsoever. To my great surprise, the two modified pairs not only sound different from the stock pair, they also sound different from one another though they are identical in every way (same shape and size of the cups, same damping material, same upgrade cable...) except for the type of wood selected.

3 TH900s ? oh my. .. how much was "analytical" ear cups ? I am very interested if I can improve the mids.

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #9,023 of 18,761
3 TH900s ? oh my. .. how much was "analytical" ear cups ? I am very interested if I can improve the mids.

Yes, the ultimate insanity, especially since I bought them the first time they came out at...$2,000 each. Ouch!

I will never buy anything new from Fostex again regardless of price or quality as they seem to enjoy punishing their early and most avid fans. I'll wait a year or two until the company makes up its stupid mind on the price of its product.

Back at the ranch, simple question, difficult answer. To get the cups, I think you have to do the full mod--which will exceed $ 1,000--but I am not sure.

The best thing is to check Lawton Audio website.

You can tighten up the bass, remove a bit of the upper bass bloom and indirectly improve the clarity and focus of the midrange by just buying the damping kit and modify the cups yourself for $45. Warning: it will take 2-3 hours of careful work.

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #9,024 of 18,761
I like the boom

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #9,025 of 18,761
Out of curiosity, what do you guys use to clean/maintain your TH-900s?

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #9,029 of 18,761
Gotcha. Nothing to treat the pads?

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #9,030 of 18,761

Users who are viewing this thread

Back