Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 11, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #8,131 of 18,761
No covers on mine, proudly displayed, I wouldn't think to put them in a window anyways.

Yeah, but the dust. I have a few headphones and 8 woo stands in total with Stax dust covers on them for future can purchases.
I can tell you, quite a bit of dust collects on those covers which I wouldn't like to have on my phones.

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #8,132 of 18,761
I wonder what cans TH-900 owners use if they want to listen to hardrock, older metal, flower power (60ies-70ies) etc...

What closed dynamic phones do you who love the TH-900 prefer when listening to that kind of music.
I know, the L3000 would be ideal, but anything else comes to mind?

Imo the the TH-900 is not the ideal phone for these genres.

Nov 11, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #8,135 of 18,761
I wonder what cans TH-900 owners use if they want to listen to hardrock, older metal, flower power (60ies-70ies) etc...

What closed dynamic phones do you who love the TH-900 prefer when listening to that kind of music.
I know, the L3000 would be ideal, but anything else comes to mind?

Imo the the TH-900 is not the ideal phone for these genres.

I use my TH900s for all rock genres but I can see where other headphones might work better.

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #8,137 of 18,761
Hmm, not a fan, had one and tried a few, all top models.
Besides, I meant closed. My fault for not mentioning it, will edit the post now.

what?! but grado is rock n roll man. :wink: as far as closed cans go well i think the th900 does rock just fine coz it's so dynamic and visceral.

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #8,138 of 18,761
Some of this is crazy talk.
smily_headphones1.gif

The TH-900 works for all music genres.  It is not a genre-specific or niche headphone.

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #8,139 of 18,761
what?! but grado is rock n roll man.
wink.gif
as far as closed cans go well i think the th900 does rock just fine coz it's so dynamic and visceral.

I had a GS1000, tried a PS1000 and an RS1i (not really sure about the latter's name) and didn't like them.
When I listen to a song in the above mentioned genres with the HD650 I like it better. Agreed, not a closed can either.

Some of this is crazy talk.
smily_headphones1.gif

The TH-900 works for all music genres.  It is not a genre-specific or niche headphone.

I agree, it's not genre specific like the AT models.
For me it's superb with all genres but the older-harder-rock genres, mostly not that well recorded.
Try something like Jimi, The Doors, Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden just to name a few.
Metallica fares better, probably because their albums are better recorder and the music is fast.
I remember listening to this kind of music on the L3000 and that was headbangers heaven.
Play some tracks of those groups and switch between your TH-900 and HD600 and you'll see what I mean. 

Nov 11, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #8,140 of 18,761

I had a GS1000, tried a PS1000 and an RS1i (not really sure about the latter's name) and didn't like them.
When I listen to a song in the above mentioned genres with the HD650 I like it better. Agreed, not a closed can either.

I agree, it's not genre specific like the AT models.
For me it's superb with all genres but the older-harder-rock genres, mostly not that well recorded.
Try something like Jimi, The Doors, Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden just to name a few.
Metallica fares better, probably because their albums are better recorder and the music is fast.
I remember listening to this kind of music on the L3000 and that was headbangers heaven.
Play some tracks of those groups and switch between your TH-900 and HD600 and you'll see what I mean. 

Jimi Hendrix sounds absolutely wonderful with TH900s....

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #8,142 of 18,761
I mostly listen to EDM... I know TH900 is perfect for all kinds of dance music. :) But sometimes I get emotional and listen to pop, country, rock etc... :D I guess TH900 would be perfect for me. I'm going to buy them soon I think. It's a tough buy to swallow though. :)

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #8,143 of 18,761

if you prefer Hendrix on the hd650 to a grado then you must like your rock n roll mellow :wink:

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #8,144 of 18,761

Yeah, but the dust. I have a few headphones and 8 woo stands in total with Stax dust covers on them for future can purchases.
I can tell you, quite a bit of dust collects on those covers which I wouldn't like to have on my phones.

Would the Stax cover fit over a Woo double stand?  I have the one that holds two headphones and I think your point is a good one...they're collecting dust during the day.

HS

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #8,145 of 18,761

Would the Stax cover fit over a Woo double stand?  I have the one that holds two headphones and I think your point is a good one...they're collecting dust during the day.

HS

Nope. I sold my double stands and bought single ones instead. They fit perfectly on those.
And I prefer the Woos to Sieving/Stax stands. Broader support for the headband and no pressure on the ear pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back