Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 14, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #7,921 of 18,761
  +1. custom mods costing almost the same price of a flagship headphone with pretty subtle sonic changes just blows my mind. why not just get another pair of flagships with a different sound signature?

And mod them as well 
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #7,923 of 18,761
Thanks for the reply!

Yes I agree the Bakoon HPA21 is very good with the TH900, but I personally prefer the P1u more than the Bakoon as the P1u plays female voice better than the Bakoon, the Bakoon has better instrument separation. IMO these 2 amps are in same level but different sound signature.

I end up sold the Bakoon and kept the Luxman as most of my headphones are low impedance and the Luxman plays better with low impedance phone to my ear. And I don't have to worry about the battery issue if they run out... :p

Add the EC Zana Deux SE too.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #7,926 of 18,761
Well, if we start splitting threads by preferences, where is the end. A thread for Lawton mods, one for DIY mods, one for praise, one for amps, one for sources, one for the knights who say 'ni!'. Unless it becomes dominating the thread through too many pages, imho one thread is better, and read with 'ignore on'. But if it's irritating, I can delete my part of junk posts on DIY mods (costing less than 100$ for material enough for 5 mods) and the $45 Lawton mod to keep the thread pure.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #7,927 of 18,761
The Bakoon HDA-5210mk3 seems to bring out the mids nicely on the TH-900, something that was lacking in the TH-900 imo. Just had the amp for a week though, need some time to burn in and compare.

I haven't heard this Bakoon Japanese version tho, can you compares with P1u if you have the chance? :)

Also where can I buy the Bakoon HDA-5210mk3? Does it supports 240v Australian voltage?

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #7,928 of 18,761
I haven't heard this Bakoon Japanese version tho, can you compares with P1u if you have the chance?
smily_headphones1.gif

Also where can I buy the Bakoon HDA-5210mk3? Does it supports 240v Australian voltage?

I can't directly compare with the P-1u since I sold that one a few years ago.
My impressions from memory were that the P-1u was a bit too polite, too reserved. It has a very high price tag here in Europe (about three times the Japanese price) but it's a bit too neutral to my taste, there certainly wasn't any "wow" factor for me. In contrast, the Zana I had back then was an eye-opener from the moment I turned it on.

The Japanese Bakoon impresses immediately as well. It's has a nice warm sound but keeps control of the bass and brings out the mids nicely on the TH-900.
It's a really powerful amp and beats the SPL Phonitor and Luxman SQ-N100 I used to have in sheer power. I bet it can drive a HE-600 with ease, even a K1000 since the Phonitor managed to do that as well. I did use the K1000 mostly out of speaker outputs though.

I remember reading there is an Australian distributor, maybe you should check the Japanese Bakoon thread for that.
The place to buy it worldwide is from AudioJP on eBay. There you can choose from 6 different versions of this amp.
I chose the upgraded version (different Satri amp boards than the Korean one) with stepped attenuator.
It's available in all voltages, we have 240V as well here.

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #7,929 of 18,761
Well, if we start splitting threads by preferences, where is the end. A thread for Lawton mods, one for DIY mods, one for praise, one for amps, one for sources, one for the knights who say 'ni!'. Unless it becomes dominating the thread through too many pages, imho one thread is better, and read with 'ignore on'. But if it's irritating, I can delete my part of junk posts on DIY mods (costing less than 100$ for material enough for 5 mods) and the $45 Lawton mod to keep the thread pure.

that's a bit extreme don't you think? this thread was created for the stock th900 after all. pretty sure i've seen a lawton thread before. makes sense to have one if folks want to post their impressions about it.

Sep 14, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #7,930 of 18,761
I can't directly compare with the P-1u since I sold that one a few years ago.
My impressions from memory were that the P-1u was a bit too polite, too reserved. It has a very high price tag here in Europe (about three times the Japanese price) but it's a bit too neutral to my taste, there certainly wasn't any "wow" factor for me. In contrast, the Zana I had back then was an eye-opener from the moment I turned it on.

The Japanese Bakoon impresses immediately as well. It's has a nice warm sound but keeps control of the bass and brings out the mids nicely on the TH-900.
It's a really powerful amp and beats the SPL Phonitor and Luxman SQ-N100 I used to have in sheer power. I bet it can drive a HE-600 with ease, even a K1000 since the Phonitor managed to do that as well. I did use the K1000 mostly out of speaker outputs though.

I remember reading there is an Australian distributor, maybe you should check the Japanese Bakoon thread for that.
The place to buy it worldwide is from AudioJP on eBay. There you can choose from 6 different versions of this amp.
I chose the upgraded version (different Satri amp boards than the Korean one) with stepped attenuator.
It's available in all voltages, we have 240V as well here.

Sorry to hear that you don't like the P1u. :frowning2:

What headphones you have tried with it? To be honestly, the P1u can drive Denon and other Japanese low impedance headphone extremely well, but for other headphones, it's not up to the price tag. I have no idea why but I would recommend you to just tried the low imp Japanese phones with the Luxman.

Please share your impression of the Japanese Bakoon vs the Korean Bakoon for TH900 if you have tried both. :)

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #7,931 of 18,761
that's a bit extreme don't you think? this thread was created for the stock th900 after all. pretty sure i've seen a lawton thread before. makes sense to have one if folks want to post their impressions about it.

don't want to add fuel to the flame but this thread called "impression and discussion" we post impression but we also want to discuss stuff about the cans we love. As long as it is a mod about the can in the thread title I don't think we should have any problem with it (this happens all the time with other headphone take hifiman or hd800 for example) 

I'm for one probably never gonna mod mine but I think those post about diy mod is far more valuable and insightful than those typical " omg I missed the USPS deliveryman again"  

I haven't heard this Bakoon Japanese version tho, can you compares with P1u if you have the chance? 
smily_headphones1.gif

you might want to consider this 7511 mk3 in VIC 
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/71074-fs-bakoon-sca-7511-mkiii/

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #7,933 of 18,761
Sorry to hear that you don't like the P1u.
frown.gif

What headphones you have tried with it? To be honestly, the P1u can drive Denon and other Japanese low impedance headphone extremely well, but for other headphones, it's not up to the price tag. I have no idea why but I would recommend you to just tried the low imp Japanese phones with the Luxman.

Please share your impression of the Japanese Bakoon vs the Korean Bakoon for TH900 if you have tried both.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's in no way a bad amp, but it didn't impress in any way, say, no more than a GCHA did.
The triple price tag in Europe doesn't help much either.

I mainly use (and used) sensitive low impedance closed phones. At the time I had the Luxman it was L3000, W3000 and three D7000 along with some open ones like HD800 and K701. 

Amps like a Zana or this Bakoon for example put a smile on your face as soon as you turn them on which was what I missed on the 3000€ Luxman.

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #7,934 of 18,761

The plus side of a dedicated thread is it is a lot more helpful for people searching on the topic than having to search a large thread for buried posts. i personally don't mind random posts about random mods that i will never attempt. heh

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #7,935 of 18,761
It's in no way a bad amp, but it didn't impress in any way, say, no more than a GCHA did.
The triple price tag in Europe doesn't help much either.

I mainly use (and used) sensitive low impedance closed phones. At the time I had the Luxman it was L3000, W3000 and three D7000 along with some open ones like HD800 and K701. 

Amps like a Zana or this Bakoon for example put a smile on your face as soon as you turn them on which was what I missed on the 3000€ Luxman.

Thanks for the impression!

The HDA-5210 mk3 have a amp board upgrade and the code name is SATRI-UL, is this the one you upgraded for the Bakoon? I only use RCA input and never use SATRI connection, do you think it still required for to upgrade? Also you do you prefer current or voltage output for TH900? :)

Sorry for asking that many, as I'm started interested in this amp now, the price from Japan is similar to the Luxman P1u as well. The P1u controls the TH900's bass very well and improved TH900's receesed mid, does the Bakoon can also do the same thing to the 900? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back