Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 25, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #7,786 of 18,761
I really want to get my hands on these headphones. I'm in Canada, BC right now, and I'm wondering if it would be better to get them from Amazon.ca or Amazon.com..

Its at CDN $1,665.73 on .ca, ~ USD $1,515.26
And on  .com it is currently at  USD $1,450.00
Both free shipping

When I proceed to checkout, it says $0 for taxes. Anyone from Canada knows how much duty + tax fee I'll have to pay if I order from the Canadian or US Amazon?

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #7,787 of 18,761
Available in multiple on line legitimate retail for 1599$ In canada, I got mine on an Xmas sale for 1399$

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #7,788 of 18,761
I really want to get my hands on these headphones. I'm in Canada, BC right now, and I'm wondering if it would be better to get them from Amazon.ca or Amazon.com..

Its at CDN $1,665.73 on .ca, ~ USD $1,515.26
And on  .com it is currently at  USD $1,450.00
Both free shipping

When I proceed to checkout, it says $0 for taxes. Anyone from Canada knows how much duty + tax fee I'll have to pay if I order from the Canadian or US Amazon?

There's always a few of them available used on our for sale board for around $1000. Some have mods and either way saves you $ if you are ok with used. I've bought most of my good headphones used with no issues.

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #7,789 of 18,761
Just a random perspective, but I got to hear two different setups using these at Capitol Audio fest. They had a pretty great balance to them, and were very comfortable, but they definitely sounded a little grainy to me. I have been told that this is not a common response, but both of the setups I listened to felt less than smooth. Perhaps what I hear as grain others hear as resolution, or perhaps it is something else...

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #7,791 of 18,761
Just a random perspective, but I got to hear two different setups using these at Capitol Audio fest. They had a pretty great balance to them, and were very comfortable, but they definitely sounded a little grainy to me. I have been told that this is not a common response, but both of the setups I listened to felt less than smooth. Perhaps what I hear as grain others hear as resolution, or perhaps it is something else...

wouldn't describe them as grainy myself. these are very clean sounding cans. found the treble sharp but that seems to have passed.

Aug 26, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #7,792 of 18,761

What are you using to drive them, DAC and HPA wise?  I've never experienced grain except when using a mobile phone as the source.

Aug 26, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #7,793 of 18,761

Yea I've not noticed any grain at all with my TH900 and I tried it on quite a few amps at the Capital Audio Festival (granted I used my own TH900s most of the time).  Are you sure you're using the right word to describe what you heard (I don't mean any disrespect)?  I know that I sometimes mix up the terms.

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #7,794 of 18,761
As many have mentioned, my "grainyness" perception seems totally weird to most. As for if it is the right word, I have no idea. I only heard them at capitol audio (where everything was pretty loud anyway), and although I heard two different setups with them, it could have been the source or amp or just my ears. I am not sure...

If I were to pick another word to describe them it might be edgy or rough. Not rough down low, but up high (a little grating). 

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #7,795 of 18,761
As many have mentioned, my "grainyness" perception seems totally weird to most. As for if it is the right word, I have no idea. I only heard them at capitol audio (where everything was pretty loud anyway), and although I heard two different setups with them, it could have been the source or amp or just my ears. I am not sure...

If I were to pick another word to describe them it might be edgy or rough. Not rough down low, but up high (a little grating). 

Sounds like you might have been listening to them at the Moon Audio table on that Grace Design m920 (has a Sabre DAC chip in it). Others will most likely disagree but I find that some of the Sabre DACs are slightly edgey to my ears (with the exception of the AURALiC Vega).

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #7,796 of 18,761
I find these to be the most sensitive headphones I have-- sensitive to source, recording, amp, etc. They can be remarkably clean, spacious, transparent, and yet still 'fun,' with delicious tonality/euphony. But I do find them a little less forgiving than I hoped. I need top-rate ancillaries-- then it's fantastic. Otherwise, yeah-- on a lot of my less than ideal rock recordings they can get grainy when the bombast happens. 

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #7,798 of 18,761
  They can be remarkably clean, spacious, transparent, and yet still 'fun,' with delicious tonality/euphony. But I do find them a little less forgiving than I hoped. I need top-rate ancillaries-- then it's fantastic. Otherwise, yeah-- on a lot of my less than ideal rock recordings they can get grainy when the bombast happens. 

I agree. Some of the more poorly recorded stuff is almost unlistenable with TH900's, even though they sounded fine on HD 650's.

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #7,799 of 18,761
I agree. Some of the more poorly recorded stuff is almost unlistenable with TH900's, even though they sounded fine on HD 650's.

Totally agree on this. Today I was listening poorly recorded pop and rap just to see how the bass respond.

And it wasn't pleasant at all, I normally don't listen to rap or hiphop but it was just bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back