Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 26, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #7,801 of 18,765
Are the TH600's any more forgiving of less than top nothch source files?

HS

No clue but I might buy one for office use soon. :)

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #7,802 of 18,765
No clue but I might buy one for office use soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

You give any thought to the Alpha Dogs?

HS

Aug 27, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #7,803 of 18,765

You give any thought to the Alpha Dogs?

HS

Sorry again, never heard alpha dogs but I had AlphaDogs earpads, very uncomfortable and very small for my ears.
I wear them for 5 mins and starting to sweat, so I guess it's a no go for me, and beside I have TH900, don't need to downgrade :)

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #7,804 of 18,765
  Sorry again, never heard alpha dogs but I had AlphaDogs earpads, very uncomfortable and very small for my ears.
I wear them for 5 mins and starting to sweat, so I guess it's a no go for me, and beside I have TH900, don't need to downgrade :)

Ah hem I have AD's they are quite good you know,
atsmile.gif
they may not be as detailed as the TH 900 however, I do not believe that the TH 900 are 2.5 to 3 times better on SQ compared to AD's and same goes for Audeze and HD 800 all fantastic gear but for some peoples VFM comes into play. ( 
darthsmile.gif
AD, could be made a little more comfortable)

Aug 27, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #7,805 of 18,765
  Ah hem I have AD's they are quite good you know,
atsmile.gif
they may not be as detailed as the TH 900 however, I do not believe that the TH 900 are 2.5 to 3 times better on SQ compared to AD's and same goes for Audeze and HD 800 all fantastic gear but for some peoples VFM comes into play. ( 
darthsmile.gif
AD, could be made a little more comfortable)

Yape I am sure Alpha dogs are good headphones, I was saying I already have TH900 so I really don't need to get another entry/mid-fi headphones. If I never had TH900 I will probably get Alpha just to try.

But I really want to try Paradox, :)

Aug 27, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #7,807 of 18,765

Good to know about the ear pads.  Their site goes on about how comfortable they are.  I've got a pretty big noggin and comfort is key to me.  That's one of the things that interested me about the TH900's....comfy and light.  I'd prefer a bit more isolation, but I figure it'll be good enough for my use at home (wife watches TV at times but she's pretty tolerant).  My biggest concern with them is being them being too bright.  I'm not big on too bright.  The Woo WA7 can help with that some with the stock tubes, though.

Decisions....

biggrin.gif

HS

Aug 27, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #7,808 of 18,765

Good to know about the ear pads.  Their site goes on about how comfortable they are.  I've got a pretty big noggin and comfort is key to me.  That's one of the things that interested me about the TH900's....comfy and light.  I'd prefer a bit more isolation, but I figure it'll be good enough for my use at home (wife watches TV at times but she's pretty tolerant).  My biggest concern with them is being them being too bright.  I'm not big on too bright.  The Woo WA7 can help with that some with the stock tubes, though.

Decisions....

biggrin.gif

HS

Actually I prefer TH900 over more isolated earpads, it allows my ear to breath more than very tightly sealed earpads. :)

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #7,809 of 18,765

Actually I prefer TH900 over more isolated earpads, it allows my ear to breath more than very tightly sealed earpads. :)

I think a velvet like solution could seal and provide breathing vs leather although I really like the idea of supple hide.  Just seems that if you listen for hours at a time, leather's not a good solution unless you're based in a cold environ.

HS

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #7,810 of 18,765
  I find these to be the most sensitive headphones I have-- sensitive to source, recording, amp, etc. They can be remarkably clean, spacious, transparent, and yet still 'fun,' with delicious tonality/euphony. But I do find them a little less forgiving than I hoped. I need top-rate ancillaries-- then it's fantastic. Otherwise, yeah-- on a lot of my less than ideal rock recordings they can get grainy when the bombast happens. 

I agree. Some of the more poorly recorded stuff is almost unlistenable with TH900's, even though they sounded fine on HD 650's.

Agree and disagree with both of you. I agree that these cans are very sensitive to equipment, particularly DAC signature, but somewhat disagree with their unforgiving nature with bad recordings. I listen to a lot of sub-par quality electronica, dub and beat music (Podcast mixes, Bandcamp albums mastered in bedrooms, etc) and find that the TH-900s are quite forgiving with the right tools in the chain - in my case, an ABS* DAC with smoother, weightier signature and a darker sounding amp. Might not be a sound for everyone (Jazz at Pawnshop or Celine Dion fans can go jump off a cliff, for all I care) but it works for me.

* Anything But Sabre (at least Sabre implementations under the $3.5K range, never heard the uber-oligarch Sabre DACs though)

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #7,811 of 18,765

Agree and disagree with both of you. I agree that these cans are very sensitive to equipment, particularly DAC signature, but somewhat disagree with their unforgiving nature with bad recordings. I listen to a lot of sub-par quality electronica, dub and beat music (Podcast mixes, Bandcamp albums mastered in bedrooms, etc) and find that the TH-900s are quite forgiving with the right tools in the chain - in my case, an ABS* DAC with smoother, weightier signature and a darker sounding amp. Might not be a sound for everyone (Jazz at Pawnshop or Celine Dion fans can go jump off a cliff, for all I care), but works for me.

* Anything But Sabre (at least Sabre implementations under the $3.5K range, never heard the uber-oligarch Sabre DACs though)

WINNING

biggrin.gif

HS

Aug 27, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #7,814 of 18,765
Still no one tried new Lawton Mod?

Aug 27, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #7,815 of 18,765
  Still no one tried new Lawton Mod?

I had Lawton do his magic.  Liked it, tightened up the already good bass.  Ended up selling the TH900 as my D7000 was so close it was redundant to have both. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back