Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Apr 5, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #6,724 of 18,765
..... Funny you say that, I am trying to decide between the Bakoon and the Stratus. Lol.

Never listened to the DNA.
I like Bakoon's grit, it's fast and layered.
Comparing to speakers and 300B, it's behind, but not that much behind.
And you have choice : low gain or current mode high gain. In low mode, soundstage is larger, in high, attacks are faster
and dynamics greater.

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #6,726 of 18,765
I've been using mine with my V-200 (SS) and my WA2 (tubes).  They are different, but I'm not sure which I like better.  Maybe the tubes, because the sometimes sibilant treble is tamed a bit . . . but then, with the V200, the bass impact is slightly better with recordings that benefit from it.

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #6,727 of 18,765
Anyone else have an opinion?
SS or tubes for the TH900?

I'm trying to make the same decision myself.  I was hearing about the WA22 being a great pairing if you get the right tubes.

As for solid state and a ton of forum research I was looking at these SS:
Vioelectric V200&V800
Burson Conductor (AMP & DAC also can be used as DAC only)
Bakoon HPA-21 or MK3 (AMP only)
Chord Hugo

After more research I think I will ultimately start with the Burson Conductor Signature series (Upgraded version) because I have read a few times it provides some more oomph to the mids which are the only downfall of the TH-900's, thereafter I might go for a Hugo for portability and then WA22 or Bakoon for fun later.  Going to skip the V200.  Going to try and audition later but I just got my TH-900's and they aren't even burnt-in yet.  Got an X5 on the way too, it has digital out so it can hook up with that Hugo there.

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #6,730 of 18,765
I listened on my v200 and the Zana Deux as well. Both were very good but the Zana Deux was better. More transparent, dynamic and better soundstage.

Got the ECZD recently. Waiting for my cable adapter for SE for the 900 (I had it recabled for balanced outs). In the meanwhile, I am listening to the Fostex through the Gungnir/Mojo stack. Very satisfied with the sound but the Mojo is a bit of a forward amp. The top end can become a bit too much at times. IMO, of course.

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #6,731 of 18,765
From what I've read, I would really like the opportunity to try these headphones with different amps, although that's impossible due to my remote rural location.  Both my V200 and WA2 are on the warm side of neutral, which seems to match well with the TH900, but I'm sure there are other better pairings out there.  For now, I'm satisfied, though.

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #6,732 of 18,765
Try the TU-05 analog square paper. It is a portanble Tube and has increadible synergy with the TH-05.

And being portable you can then carry your complète set/up during a WK or around the house :)

I owe booth & listening to them right now !

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #6,733 of 18,765
I'm sure this has been answered before but I have to ask. Is sweat an issue with the stock leather earpads? I tend to listen to my music for extended periods of time while I'm working so is ear fatigue an issue for anyone?

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #6,734 of 18,765
Try the TU-05 analog square paper. It is a portanble Tube and has increadible synergy with the TH-05.

And being portable you can then carry your complète set/up during a WK or around the house :)

I owe booth & listening to them right now !

+1, brought my T-05 and TH900 to a mini meet and most folks after hearing it commented on how well they synergized - tonal balance, imaging and staging. Can't go wrong, only things is you have to been patient as it is completely hand built to order and may take a few months.

Btw, the Chord Hugo also pair quite well the TH900, this is my current goto portable setup

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #6,735 of 18,765

+1, brought my T-05 and TH900 to a mini meet and most folks after hearing it commented on how well they synergized - tonal balance, imaging and staging. Can't go wrong, only things is you have to been patient as it is completely hand built to order and may take a few months.

Btw, the Chord Hugo also pair quite well the TH900, this is my current goto portable setup

Stop doing exactly lime me
wink.gif
  I have  TU-05, TH-900 and will receive my HUGO next week !  ( I need to test if at home I will go  HUGO>TH900  or   HUGO>TU-05>TH900 )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back