Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Apr 8, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #6,752 of 18,765
yup

Apr 8, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #6,753 of 18,765
I've been looking for a used one of these on ebay, and no luck for many weeks. Can't say the same for the hd800, audeze or any other high end headphone. Is this because this is a highly valued headphone, or is the lack of used headphones caused by the fact that they produce so few of these?

Apr 8, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #6,754 of 18,765
I'm seriously considering a new pr of TH900's for portable use.  My idea of portable use is taking walks in the neighborhood (nice), and doing chores around the house and light gardening. No train buses or planes with the TH900's.  I know it's excessive and way beyond logic to consider a pair of these beautiful headphones for portable use but I'm an audiophile and who likes music and good sound.

The TH900 comes with a 9' cable. I've resigned to the fact that if I buy a pair of these headphones I'll be using the stock cable.  I don't feel comfortable having new shorter cable hardwired.  

For portable use, has anyone ever draped the extra cable around there head a few times, much like a necklace (or looped large circles of cable bound with twist-ties)?  

Has anyone braided this cable? Seem too thick to do that.

I really want these headphones but I'm trying to get over the 9' cable for semi-portable use.  

Anyone have any experience to share? 

Apr 8, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #6,755 of 18,765
I've been looking for a used one of these on ebay, and no luck for many weeks. Can't say the same for the hd800, audeze or any other high end headphone. Is this because this is a highly valued headphone, or is the lack of used headphones caused by the fact that they produce so few of these?

I think these have only been out since 12 in any real way. Why would one want to sell a can thats less than a year old, especially if you are happy. I'm sure the hd800 have a much wider distribution.

Apr 8, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #6,756 of 18,765
I'm seriously considering a new pr of TH900's for portable use.  My idea of portable use is taking walks in the neighborhood (nice), and doing chores around the house and light gardening. No train buses or planes with the TH900's.  I know it's excessive and way beyond logic to consider a pair of these beautiful headphones for portable use but I'm an audiophile and who likes music and good sound.

The TH900 comes with a 9' cable. I've resigned to the fact that if I buy a pair of these headphones I'll be using the stock cable.  I don't feel comfortable having new shorter cable hardwired.  

For portable use, has anyone ever draped the extra cable around there head a few times, much like a necklace (or looped large circles of cable bound with twist-ties)?  

Has anyone braided this cable? Seem too thick to do that.

I really want these headphones but I'm trying to get over the 9' cable for semi-portable use.  

Anyone have any experience to share? 

IMO these are not portable phones. Not just the cable, and not that they are heavy they are not. Just a loose comfortable fit thats more a recliner based listen. Try shure 846 iem if you want portability, not that the sq and 3d are close....

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #6,757 of 18,765
IMO these are not portable phones. Not just the cable, and not that they are heavy they are not. Just a loose comfortable fit thats more a recliner based listen. Try shure 846 iem if you want portability, not that the sq and 3d are close....

I agree...they are nice to wear, but they are too loose and well fall off straight away whilst gardening or even if you look up whilst walking!

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #6,758 of 18,765
I agree...they are nice to wear, but they are too loose and well fall off straight away whilst gardening or even if you look up whilst walking!

Ok maybe I can do without gardening with these :) 

If they are so loose that I can't even wear them on a walk or moving around the house then I would be bummed. Some of my listening will be on the couch or desk but the rest would be walks looking forward at all times for the sake of good sound. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #6,759 of 18,765

Ok maybe I can do without gardening with these :) 

If they are so loose that I can't even wear them on a walk or moving around the house then I would be bummed. Some of my listening will be on the couch or desk but the rest would be walks looking forward at all times for the sake of good sound. 
smily_headphones1.gif

you can do whatever you wish  but these are not beats by dre snug fit meant to be out and about phones. The loose comfortable fit is designed for long listening periods. No head shaking abrupt head movements please, frankly i use 846 for out and about. Nothing to be bummed about, a can cant be everything.

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #6,760 of 18,765
  you can do whatever you wish  but these are not beats by dre snug fit meant to be out and about phones. The loose comfortable fit is designed for long listening periods. No head shaking abrupt head movements please, frankly i use 846 for out and about. Nothing to be bummed about, a can cant be everything.

Fair enough, as you say a can can't be everything. I think I can manage and limit the headbanging while taking walks.  If they fit so loose they fall off your head while walking maybe I'll reconsider after all. 

Anyone have a solution for the 9' cable (other than hard-wire) for portable use?

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #6,761 of 18,765
Fair enough, as you say a can can't be everything. I think I can manage and limit the headbanging while taking walks.  If they fit so loose they fall off your head while walking maybe I'll reconsider after all. 

Anyone have a solution for the 9' cable (other than hard-wire) for portable use?

IMO, this HP is not for portable use but is more a sit down/reclining connect to DAC/amp. I recabled mine for balanced use hence shorter lengths should be possible. Mine was 5 feet length.

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #6,762 of 18,765
x2. it doesn't have much clamping force so the fit isn't secure, the cable is long, thick and weighty - you'll probably end up tripping over it on a walk, plus urushi lacquer and sunlight don't get along.

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #6,763 of 18,765
Don't forget the foil logo, that will clash like a disco ball.

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #6,764 of 18,765

Your solution for portable is what I did to mine. I put on a 4 foot Q French silk cable but it sounds like you're not willing to do a cable swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back