Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 3, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #6,436 of 18,765
I was able to spend couple of hours with PWD->Stratus->TH900.
I know it's too early to say but to my ears TH900 sounds really like a mature version of Denon D7000. I've had D7000s twice and D5000, sold them because of their high and muddy bass. TH900 solved most of my concern. tamed high,less recessed mid, bass is still little loose with stock 2A3s(EML meshed plate I have suppose to give more dynamics and tighter bass but haven't tried yet) but I don't know if I really want tight tight bass in this amount of bass quantity and impact it'll probably gonna give me a headache. yes yes Massive Attack really massively attacked me with their deep bass 
biggrin.gif

@AnakChan
I think Stratus pairs with TH900 wonderfully. I don't hear any hum, noise, hiss what so ever with low gain setting. Very lively, organic sound, great layer but again it's too early since I am still in honeymoon stage with both of them :)

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #6,437 of 18,765
Hello everyone, I just bought V800 and V200 violectric, this is the best set up I've heard with my W3K. But in the future I plan to buy a TH900. I would like an opinion on it : violectric and Th900. Has anyone ever tried?

Coming from the W3K I think you might find the TH900 to have a U shape type of sound, some like this some don't, also the bass amount is quite strong in relation to the rest of the frequency spectrum. Definitely not the best choice if you are a mids freak...PM me if you want more details, I tested both extensively.

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #6,438 of 18,765
I kindly disagree, th900 bass is not overpowering and very natural. Sure some extension that allows one to feel the low end but at no compromise to any of the other spectrum. The mid timber is quite present and adds to the complete 3d experience the highs are wonderful without providing any irritation.
I realize qualitative judgements in sound are subjective and will agree the th900 does not push the mids and highs to a level that is irritating. This is the benefits of th900, full musicality without that punishing mid highs that make them infinitely listenable. These cans provide it all. IMO.
Granted this is through fostex hpa8.

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #6,439 of 18,765
Coming from the W3K I think you might find the TH900 to have a U shape type of sound, some like this some don't, also the bass amount is quite strong in relation to the rest of the frequency spectrum. Definitely not the best choice if you are a mids freak...PM me if you want more details, I tested both extensively.

thanks to you..i'll do if i want some details.

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #6,440 of 18,765
I kindly disagree, th900 bass is not overpowering and very natural. Sure some extension that allows one to feel the low end but at no compromise to any of the other spectrum. The mid timber is quite present and adds to the complete 3d experience the highs are wonderful without providing any irritation.
I realize qualitative judgements in sound are subjective and will agree the th900 does not push the mids and highs to a level that is irritating. This is the benefits of th900, full musicality without that punishing mid highs that make them infinitely listenable. These cans provide it all. IMO.

+ 1

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #6,441 of 18,765

True, but if he already recabled it he probably voided the warranty already.  I personally would rather fix it myself than send it somewhere and be without it for weeks.  But if it was pristine, untouched, unmodified I'd probably ask them to warranty fix it, as you're recommending. 

Hey sorry for the late response, but yea they are already recabled. I will tinker with them when I get the time this next weekend probably. Thanks for the info!

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #6,442 of 18,765

Each is entitled to their own opinion, but with the same setup the TH-900 sounds differently to my ears. Bass is natural but has a definite emphasis around the mid-bass region, whether or not that's a good thing is up to your tastes. I rather like it. Mids are rather signficiantly sucked out around the vocal range and often takes a backseat, hence the V shape. There's a peak around the treble area that isn't strong enough to hurt, but gradually causes fatigue over listening time. It's a good headphone that does a lot right and is probably still my go-to, but definitely not perfect.

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #6,443 of 18,765
  Hello everyone, I just bought V800 and V200 violectric, this is the best set up I've heard with my W3K. But in the future I plan to buy a TH900. I would like an opinion on it : violectric and Th900. Has anyone ever tried?

I also use the TH-900 with the V200 (I don't use the V800).  I like the combination a lot.  Bass impact is phenomenal, the mids are a tiny bit recessed, but smooth and detailed; and the treble shimmers but is not too harsh.  For me, the V200 being a bit on the warm side of neutral makes it a great amp with all of my headphones.  The TH-900 is pretty easy to drive, so I have the gain switches adjusted down to -6dB.  

If you've got about 1K to spend, and you're looking for one solid state amp, you won't go wrong with the V200.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #6,444 of 18,765
I also use the TH-900 with the V200 (I don't use the V800).  I like the combination a lot.  Bass impact is phenomenal, the kids are a tiny bit recessed, but smooth and detailed; and the treble shimmers but is not too harsh.  For me, the V200 being a bit on the warm side of neutral makes it a great amp with all of my headphones.  The TH-900 is pretty easy to drive, so I have the gain switches adjusted down to -6dB.  

If you've got about 1K to spend, and you're looking for one solid state amp, you won't go wrong with the V200.
So this is how you can make parenting easier??

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #6,445 of 18,765
Finally figured out what you meant by that--now edited.  (And it wasn't an autocorrect, I don't think . . .) 
happy_face1.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #6,446 of 18,765
  Just got my TH900 earlier today also got Stratus delivered by my friend :) Now I got some colors in my rack :)

Oh BTW I like my serial number!!
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Funny, you got a red one which is about 14 years old.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #6,447 of 18,765
Ok i've noticed your advice. With my D7100 and the V200, bass is too much overboosted. Maybe it'll be better with TH900.

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #6,448 of 18,765
Coming from the W3K I think you might find the TH900 to have a U shape type of sound, some like this some don't, also the bass amount is quite strong in relation to the rest of the frequency spectrum. Definitely not the best choice if you are a mids freak...

i hear the th900's mids as a bit recessed. the bass can sound powerful but not always - depends on the track. the w3000anv has forward mids and pulls up short in the bass department for mine. also the leading edge of notes sound soft. it's not as fatiguing as the th900 but it's not as dynamic either imo.

th900 bass is not overpowering and very natural. Sure some extension that allows one to feel the low end but at no compromise to any of the other spectrum.

x2 the bass

There's a peak around the treble area that isn't strong enough to hurt, but gradually causes fatigue over listening time.

x2 the treble

sure it's not perfect but what can is? listening to the th900 is like having a pair of full sized speakers on my ears. really dig that about it.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #6,449 of 18,765
i hear the th900's mids as a bit recessed. the bass can sound powerful but not always - depends on the track. the w3000anv has forward mids and pulls up short in the bass department for mine. also the leading edge of notes sound soft. it's not as fatiguing as the th900 but it's not as dynamic either imo.

I can't argue your points.

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #6,450 of 18,765
To my ears TH900 is one incredibly detailed headphone. I did not expect it to be of this nature. I was expecting it to be a warm sound but can't say they are. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back