Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 5, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #6,271 of 18,760

Compared to HD 800, on a scale of 1 -10, its HD 800 = 10 & TH 900 = 5. IMHO. But you still can't listen to TH 900 next to someone sleeping as it would disturb them. Unless they are like me, I go to sleep with my speakers playing 
tongue.gif

I am in a slightly similar situation as you. Have the HD 800 & TH 900 , waiting for T1 to be delivered.

Well if the HD800 are a 10, then the T1 would be an 11 as i find them to have a tad more leakage than the HD800. Where does the sound leak from on the TH-900? Is the ear pad seal not very tight; as far as clamp pressure?

It's not the pads - I forget the term they used, but Denon called it "sound optimizer" or something - it's that space between the cup and the pads and it's there by design.  Since Foster built the Denon's and it's for all intents the same chassis, this is the leakage spot.  Helps it feel more "open" and my wife can definitely hear my music when she's watching her educational reality crap TV. 

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #6,272 of 18,760
And Oregian can also clearly hear the educational reality crap 'she' is watching when he is listening to his favorite music. Hence, they also do not isolate outside noise very well. I would even go so far that they are better at isolating sound from the headphone to the outside world, than they are at isolating outside noise. 

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #6,273 of 18,760
There's a port / slot by each pivot on the cups that helps with the bass apparently. It works exactly like a ported speaker. It's about the size of a dime. That's where they leak noise. The ring doesn't leak by itself.

$0.02

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #6,274 of 18,760
  And Oregian can also clearly hear the educational reality crap 'she' is watching when he is listening to his favorite music. Hence, they also do not isolate outside noise very well. I would even go so far that they are better at isolating sound from the headphone to the outside world, than they are at isolating outside noise. 

I can hear her crap, yes, but only in between songs. 
blink.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #6,275 of 18,760
Put my Alpha pads on my TH900 last night.................me likey a LOT.  

May follow jibzilla's lead and try Stax 002 pads. I think I'm done buying headphones, now it's time to refine the ones I have.

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #6,276 of 18,760
Put my Alpha pads on my TH900 last night.................me likey a LOT.  

May follow jibzilla's lead and try Stax 002 pads. I think I'm done buying headphones, now it's time to refine the ones I have.

Ordered the Angle pads from Lawton audio yesterday. What kind of sound change did u hear?

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #6,277 of 18,760
Well, I hate to spoil the fun..., but I have a different experience with changing pads of the Fostex TH-900. I first tried the Audeze LCD-3 leather pads. They are very comfortable, very soft, and they fit quite well on the Fostex TH-900. They greatly affected the sound of the headphones, it became more spacious, more 'you are there' compared to the more direct sound of the original pads. Better center image, but also less precise in terms of imaging (more fuzzy sounding). However, the major problem with these pads is that they accentuate the 'hole in the middle'. The midrange was more recessed, and sounded a bit cave like (e.g like from very far away) and hollow. I didn't even bother to listen to what extent the bass improved or its effect on treble. The hollow sound it created made it a definitive no-way. Maybe initially, you are impressed with the increase in spaciousness, it is more than I expected; pads do make a 'huge' difference. But do not get fooled, after a while you begin to notice that something is wrong in the picture......

Next, I tried the Stax-SR-002 pads. These are less angled and less deep than the Audeze pads. They are also very comfortable, although a bit less soft than the Audeze pads, they fit and look better on the Fostex TH-900 than the Audeze pads. I tried very hard to like them, but in the end I still much prefered the stock pads. Now they do not accentuate the 'hole in the middle' hollow sound of the Audeze, at least not to that extent. But, to me they do not improve anything either, but they do change things a bit for the worse in my opinion. First, treble is less pronounced, and bass has a bit less impact and is less defined. Next, airiness is reduced, and the midrange is less clear and dynamic. For some reason it seems to me that these pads make the sound a bit more 'classic tube sound'. Nice and cosy, but where is the fun.....For some these pads can be an improvement if you think the Fostex has too much treble or is too dynamic...

I will stick to the original pads. I am more and more convinced that the Fostex TH-900 is a very carefully designed and voiced headphone. Changing pads change their voicing more than I expected, and they lose a bit of their character. To me it is clear. I like their original voicing with the orginal pads best. And yes, compared to the Sennheiser HD-800 their soundstage is not as large. The Fostex still sound like a traditional headphone in that regard ( e.g. a bit left -right), and the soundstrage is not that deep (at least not compared to the Sennheiser HD-800). They are not directly voiced by the Fostex engineers to create that 'you are there' feeling (e.g. you are not in the audience of the recording venue with the Fostex), but they are more voiced to give you the impression that you are on the podium itself (e.g. the position of the conductor). The sound from a conductor's perspective is direct, immediate, present and dynamic. And that is how the Fostex  sound. That is where they score big time. I am, and always was a 'front row' man. I still order front row tickets for classical concerts and opera's, because I like the impact from that position. It is easier to become immersed in music....

To conclude, different pads do change the sound of the Fostex more than I expected. You can increase soundstage depth and spaciousness by changing pads, but you lose impact, dynamics, clear imaging and midrange presence. All of this of course with my equipment ( see profile). But I still think it is good to offer an alternative perspective on changing pads of the Fostex Th-900

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #6,278 of 18,760
Yeah I see this as a fun experiment if I don't prefer the sound no biggie. I ordered the lawton angle pads versus the two u referenced above. I believe they r less aggressive then the audeze and stax so we will see.

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #6,282 of 18,760
Feb 6, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #6,283 of 18,760
Well I just got mine in. Serial 20xx. Not sure how long they were sitting in the distributors warehouse. Not as many as the HD800. I guess we are the elite!!!

BUT OH MY THAT BUILD QUALITY!!!!! GORGEOUS!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back