Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 3, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #6,256 of 18,761
I don`t have an AH 900 but I have a Denon AH-D5000 and started by buying the Parasound Z-Dac. The Z-dac is pretty decent and includes a fairly good headphone amp, my only gripe is the 1/8" headphone jack so if you have a 1/4" plug you will need an adapter. Inputs: coax - optical - usb. Outputs: single ended or balanced. US price $475,- which is quite inexpensive. In UK or Norway it costs about $800. You will find many good reviews on the net.
Regards from Norway.

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #6,260 of 18,761
  How is it ?
I have TH900 and wonder about HPA-8.

Hi not sure if I can help you...  I auditioned the TH900 with the HP-A8 and decided to purchase the combo.
Didn't have the opportunity to listen to the TH900 with other dacs or amps.

Honestly, I did not put in too much consideration before selecting the HP-A8 as it has all the features I needed.
- match with TH900
- integrated dac
- analog in for my turntable
- pre-out to connect to my speaker system
- remote control

Having said that, setting the digital filter set to "Minimum Delay" gives a subtle but noticeable effect to the sound.
Sounds fuller and more intimate.

Comparing to my previous headphones (by memory, not with HP-A8)

vs LCD2
- more mid-bass quantity, there's a good kick to it
- more details
- definitely better imaging
- much better highs
- better separation
- probably lose out in the mids, quite apparent when listening to vocals

vs HD800
- don't get as much details, but enough to impress
- more bass quantity
- smoother than hd800, listening to violin/ cello, does not give you as much texture
- soundstage not as big, separation is about the same i think
- less bright

So far i really like to tonal balance and the added bass quantity which makes it more fun/ exciting to listen to.
For me, HD800 was too bright and bass shy, LCD2 was the other way around.

I can understand how ppl say that this headphone is musical yet "high-end".

Only grudge is it is a little boomy... hopefully, it goes away after burning in.  I have it for less than 3 hrs.
If it doesn't, i'm OK with it as well.

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #6,261 of 18,761

Hi not sure if I can help you...  I auditioned the TH900 with the HP-A8 and decided to purchase the combo.
Didn't have the opportunity to listen to the TH900 with other dacs or amps.

Honestly, I did not put in too much consideration before selecting the HP-A8 as it has all the features I needed.
- match with TH900
- integrated dac
- analog in for my turntable
- pre-out to connect to my speakers
- remote control

Having said that, setting the digital filter set to "Minimum Delay" gives a subtle but noticeable effect to the sound.
Sounds fuller and more intimate.

Thank-s z lot.
Do you mean HPA-8 can drive HP's too ?
I'm wondering because I revamp my system and will be several weeks/months without amp : current amp is sold and next one
is not built yet…

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #6,262 of 18,761
  Do you mean HPA-8 can drive HP's too ?

I think u mean speakers?  No, i connect the pre-out to a power amp then to speakers.
Sorry what i meant was I can integrate the HP-A8 with my speaker system.

Also, not sure where you reside, but I purchased my unit from Amazon Japan (100v) version and am using it in a 230v environment after changing the internal setting.
Works perfectly fine and I saved quite a substantial amount of $$.
Just FYI...

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #6,263 of 18,761
I get my TH-900 in tomorrow. Im coming from an HD800 & Beyer T1. The HD800 has an amazing soundstage and imaging and had a special intimate mid-treble sound quality(with perfect sources), but was bass light in the mid-bass range(which made it sound thin with many tracks), sub-bass excelled though with my Essence One amp/dac. T1 are almost perfect as they have that perfect mid-bass impact that make the music sound fuller bodied and alive. Curiosity is making me buy the TH-900s, plus i need some closed cans for those noisy moments around the house. Im super excited to try out the TH900. How is the sound leakage on these cans?

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #6,264 of 18,761
How is the sound leakage on these cans?

Compared to HD 800, on a scale of 1 -10, its HD 800 = 10 & TH 900 = 5. IMHO. But you still can't listen to TH 900 next to someone sleeping as it would disturb them. Unless they are like me, I go to sleep with my speakers playing 
tongue.gif

I am in a slightly similar situation as you. Have the HD 800 & TH 900 , waiting for T1 to be delivered.

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #6,265 of 18,761
Compared to HD 800, on a scale of 1 -10, its HD 800 = 10 & TH 900 = 5. IMHO. But you still can't listen to TH 900 next to someone sleeping as it would disturb them. Unless they are like me, I go to sleep with my speakers playing 
tongue.gif

I am in a slightly similar situation as you. Have the HD 800 & TH 900 , waiting for T1 to be delivered.

Well if the HD800 are a 10, then the T1 would be an 11 as i find them to have a tad more leakage than the HD800. Where does the sound leak from on the TH-900? Is the ear pad seal not very tight; as far as clamp pressure?

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #6,266 of 18,761
I would say it's more resonance from the TH900 wooden shell.
I've been much disappointed with HD800 that I found seducive first, then very dull.
TH900 is far superior and interesting.
I'd like to try T1.

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #6,268 of 18,761
I found the earpads to seal around my head/ear (unless I extend the earcups down and wear them low) and the earcup where the rear of the driver is located is also sealed from the outside, but there is a vent that runs all around the earcup that goes from the gap seen below straight to where your ear is.

Honestly though I'm not entirely sure which part of the headphones leaks the most sound. I haven't had anyone complain yet that they can hear what I'm listening to, but that isn't very many people who have been around my TH900s.

Quote:

Both TH900 and MDR-R10 are among the least closed closed headphones, lol. They do not make seal. They both integrate in their sound a ~1mm thin ring of air around the baffle/gimbal assembly and their wooden cup.

it's that "slice" following the wooden cup and preceding the baffle.

Not sealed, but not open either. Closed-back?

Sealed is something like Sennheiser HD25 and Beyerdynamic DT1350. Semi-closed or semi-open is something like V-Moda M80 or Fostex T50RP.

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #6,269 of 18,761
I found the earpads to seal around my head/ear (unless I extend the earcups down and wear them low) and the earcup where the rear of the driver is located is also sealed from the outside, but there is a vent that runs all around the earcup that goes from the gap seen below straight to where your ear is.

Ah, i guess that explains how the TH900 can have such a large soundstage for a closed can. Thanks namaiki.

Oh that R10! 
eek.gif
 ......drool! Maybe one day.

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #6,270 of 18,761
Not sure what you mean by sound leakage?  I have all your cans and you will like the TH900, it certainly has better bass than the HD800.  Almost as good as the bass from the LCD-3.
In terms of soundstage, I would not say it is inferior to the HD800.  The degree the LCD-3 has better bass over the TH900 is much greater then the HD800 beating the TH900 in spatially placing sources.

Quote:
I get my TH-900 in tomorrow. Im coming from an HD800 & Beyer T1. The HD800 has an amazing soundstage and imaging and had a special intimate mid-treble sound quality(with perfect sources), but was bass light in the mid-bass range(which made it sound thin with many tracks), sub-bass excelled though with my Essence One amp/dac. T1 are almost perfect as they have that perfect mid-bass impact that make the music sound fuller bodied and alive. Curiosity is making me buy the TH-900s, plus i need some closed cans for those noisy moments around the house. Im super excited to try out the TH900. How is the sound leakage on these cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back