Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 22, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #6,136 of 18,761
Yeah, the problem I have with the TH600 is if I am mildlly disappointed I would just send them back and get the 900 anyway, and if I love them and get a taste of hi-fi I would probably just start lusting for the 900 yet again. Trying to avoid that middle ground haha.

The best thing that could happen would be I got the 600 and absolutely was not impressed...then my lust would disappear and I could go back to being content with mid-grade IEMs

another option for classy audiophile bassheads is the ultrasone signature djs at $1000. they seem to have a intense following in the basshead community.

closed, portable vs the open, non-portable th900 so may be more suitable depending on your needs.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #6,138 of 18,761
  another option for classy audiophile bassheads is the ultrasone signature djs at $1000. they seem to have a intense following in the basshead community.

closed, portable vs the open, non-portable th900 so may be more suitable depending on your needs.

OK, after a bit of research I am actually starting to lean towards the Signature DJ.  Mainly because it seems that an amp isn't really necessary to get good sound out of them, so directly out of my CD deck the total cost would be $1000 rather than the $1750 of the Th900 and the Asgard 2.  Am I correct that they can be powered well (even if not to 100% perfection) out of a CD player?

Also, some quick Google searches don't really seem to yield good results for direct comparisons to the TH-900 in terms of sound quality.  Can anyone tell without exaggeration if possible what exactly I will be losing out on if I decide to downgrade to the Signature DJ's rather than the TH900 & Asgard2?

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #6,139 of 18,761
It really depends on the amp / dac section of your cd player. And with the Asgard 2, it could end up doing nothing if your cd player has a crappy dac if that's what you are lining out from. There's a lot to consider. It sounds like you are rushing to buy something without considering the whole picture. Which by all means you can do it's fine. Just be aware of what's happening. The headphone is the most important component after all.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #6,140 of 18,761
The treble is pretty drastically different on the SDJs. It's very mellow (rolled off), though it extends far up there no problem. The bass is a tad heavier/slower than the TH-900. I doubt you'd notice without an amp. Both nice. SDJ is a good pick if you aren't a treble head.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #6,141 of 18,761

OK, after a bit of research I am actually starting to lean towards the Signature DJ.  Mainly because it seems that an amp isn't really necessary to get good sound out of them, so directly out of my CD deck the total cost would be $1000 rather than the $1750 of the Th900 and the Asgard 2.  Am I correct that they can be powered well (even if not to 100% perfection) out of a CD player?

Also, some quick Google searches don't really seem to yield good results for direct comparisons to the TH-900 in terms of sound quality.  Can anyone tell without exaggeration if possible what exactly I will be losing out on if I decide to downgrade to the Signature DJ's rather than the TH900 & Asgard2?

I used to think like this too, use the CD player's output to power a pair of headphones...but you'll be really disappointed.  My opinion, grab a decent priced USB or portable amp to see if it makes much different.  I started with Fiio stuffs and thought they're pretty good for the price.

If you like bass, old schooled, Denon D2K/5K/7K are pretty good.  I have both D7K and TH900, but refer D7K's bass.       

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #6,142 of 18,761

I've not heard the Ultrasones, but I seriously doubt whether they'd be in the same league as the TH-900, or indeed, the TH-600.

Look in the classifieds. It's quite possible that you could find a pair of TH-600s plus a good budget amp for less that what the Sig DJ costs new.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #6,143 of 18,761
I mentioned in my first post that I did try a DAC already.  I bought the recommended Magni/Modi combo for the HE400  and I thought the sound quality was a significant step down both EQ'd and un-EQ'd with Foobar.  I much preferred the Magni with my CD player alone.

Now, the HE-400 is obviously not the same headphone as the Signature DJ or TH900 and there are much better DACs available for a higher price, but lets just say I'm a bit soured on the whole DAC thing. especially when staying on a tight budget.  Also, when I bought the D600 (admittedly lower class) I noticed no audible difference between using the Magni vs. plugging straight into the CD player headphone jack when using equal volume levels, so I am also somewhat soured on amps as well unless the headphone can not be powered to reasonably high volume levels at about 50% on the knob.

Definitely not rushing to buy something without considering the whole picture, I have been considering the whole picture for the last month while I researched/bought/returned/researched/bought/returned/researched/bought/returned 3 different pairs
etysmile.gif

I think the best bet for someone like me would be to just go with the Sig DJ's and I can just return them if I am not happy.  Then then only next logical step would be the TH-900 so the decision will be easier.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #6,144 of 18,761
Yeah, the problem I have with the TH600 is if I am mildlly disappointed I would just send them back and get the 900 anyway, and if I love them and get a taste of hi-fi I would probably just start lusting for the 900 yet again. Trying to avoid that middle ground haha.

The best thing that could happen would be I got the 600 and absolutely was not impressed...then my lust would disappear and I could go back to being content with mid-grade IEMs

Neither Fostex can will disappoint you. Even fed out of an iPod into a NuForce iDo DAC, then on into a vintage amp (Kenwood KA-5700), the sound is incredible and the SUBbass will give you an ear tickle massage guaranteed to put a smile in your face.

My point is they don't need a $2000 amp to sound good. My DAC cost $99, amp was $80 and it thumps with clarity.

By the way, theTH900 are very similar to the early Denons, the D7000 especially, being the same manufacturer and chassis. The D600 you had was not made by Fostex, and tho you didn't like it, I have it running my office system and again thru a vintage amp it thumps. Bass on that system can make you lose your train of thought.

Welcome aboard by the way.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #6,145 of 18,761

I've had both my TH900 and the Sig DJ and it's no contest. DJ is better ONLY for portable use.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #6,146 of 18,761
  I mentioned in my first post that I did try a DAC already.  I bought the recommended Magni/Modi combo for the HE400  and I thought the sound quality was a significant step down both EQ'd and un-EQ'd with Foobar.  I much preferred the Magni with my CD player alone.

Now, the HE-400 is obviously not the same headphone as the Signature DJ or TH900 and there are much better DACs available for a higher price, but lets just say I'm a bit soured on the whole DAC thing. especially when staying on a tight budget.  Also, when I bought the D600 (admittedly lower class) I noticed no audible difference between using the Magni vs. plugging straight into the CD player headphone jack when using equal volume levels, so I am also somewhat soured on amps as well unless the headphone can not be powered to reasonably high volume levels at about 50% on the knob.

Definitely not rushing to buy something without considering the whole picture, I have been considering the whole picture for the last month while I researched/bought/returned/researched/bought/returned/researched/bought/returned 3 different pairs
etysmile.gif

I think the best bet for someone like me would be to just go with the Sig DJ's and I can just return them if I am not happy.  Then then only next logical step would be the TH-900 so the decision will be easier.

This is what I was trying to say though about the cd player. If you plug ANY amplifier into a crappy source... it doesn't magically make the signal better. That's never going to happen. If you are even considering the th-900, you should seriously consider a dac. Anything you have ever heard about the signature dj, the th900, or any headphone: these people are using DACs and amplifiers, probably good ones. The TH-900 would not have this type of rave reviews if it was being listened to through magni/modi.  Sorry those are not going to cut it for headphones like this. I haven't heard the magni/modi, but I can tell you I owned the more expensive asgard and I would not recommend it to any person for use with any headphone, and I especially would not recommend it to a TH-900 owner. 

I'm not trying to sound rude here but seriously, go do some research about digital audio if you want to make an informed purchase. Like if you want to buy these headphones then go ahead I will not stop you it doesn't really matter, but if you want to make an informed purchase, just realize for either headphone to sound even close to its best, you will at the very least need a decent dac that will likely cost 400-500 dollars. And a reasonable amp.  Something like the fiio E17($139) /  WA7 ($999) / ALO Audio Pan Am ($500) / DacMini ($800) would not be a bad place to start since these are combo amp/dacs.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #6,147 of 18,761
I've had both my TH900 and the Sig DJ and it's no contest. DJ is better ONLY for portable use.

Which I fully expected, no doubt about that.  But could you provide some specific examples of the difference in sound signature?  Also, understand that I have never had a taste of Hi-Fi greater than the HE400 so any step up from those would by default become the best headphone I have heard.

Actually, the HE400 with better bass impact would be worth $1000 to me but I realize that open headphones just won't cut it.  I want clarity, but I need it balanced with thickness.  That is the reason I am lusting after the TH900 so hard

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #6,148 of 18,761
My TH900 sounds good enough straight from my Ipad or iPhone. Of course it has a little more horsepower with the fiio e17 that cost around $120. If I could afford only one thing I would just get the better headphone and make do till I could afford the other components.
The bass is gorgeous and the sound stage is amazing on this headphone.

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #6,149 of 18,761
Just get the th900, it is an amazing Can. Maybe the best closed Can.
Ive listen to Them With a portable alo AMP and it was ridiculuios good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back