Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 9, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #14,447 of 18,776
Hi, I just purchased the th-900mkii with a ifi micro idsd black from adorama for1299
Wondering if that was a good deal?
Also, what's a good dap to pair that set up with?
Is the ifi a good match? Or should I sell it and get a dedicated better dap?
My budget right now is 700 unless I sell the ifi and then I'll have some more.
Few years ago I had a silver micro idsd with grado rs1 and iPhone and the sound was a little fatiguing to me because they were so unconfotable and a little harsh to my ears.
I never heard the fostex before but I read good things.
Thanks!

That is an awesome deal, TH900 mk2 are going for 1200 - 1300 on amazon right now.  I'd think 1500 was a great deal, but 1300 is crazy.  Basically like the TH900 was nearly half off if you payed full price for the iDSD BL.  ...or you paid full price for a TH900 and got the BL for free!

I use an iCAN with my THX00 and love it.  The XBass and 3D switches work really well for me since I have a diverse range of interests.  If you want to go all out slammin basshead, you'll definitely need the power of the iDSD as well.  I think it'd be very hard to beat that setup at that price.  The only other thing people might suggest is a chord mojo.  I've never heard one so won't comment on it, but they seem to be very close in performance, and "better" is purely subjective between the two.  The Mojo is maybe more "musical" from what I've read, and the iDSD is more "analytical"...maybe...but the BL is supposedly much more musical than the original so your concerns about harshness etc. may have been mitigated.  Hope that helps!

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #14,450 of 18,776
@PabloSRT8 Here is a comparison of the Fiio and Onkyo DAPs on Head-fi:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/9638 (It's post 9638 in this thread)

I prefer the Fiio for it's fit and function over the Onkyo.  Sound isn't that much different.  The sound will be different going through the iDSD also.

There is a good price on a used Onkyo on the forum right now too.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/829768/onkyo-dp-x1-mint

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #14,455 of 18,776
I wished Fostex would make an on the go TH900.

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #14,457 of 18,776
Jan 13, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #14,459 of 18,776
I'm loving my TH900mkII as well! Man, they just make it all happen. In one word, I would say...grandiose!  I did just receive a mint condition d7000 yesterday, and have been listening to it, one newer, and one older set of d5000, and the TH900, all evening. I feel like I'm in a headphone orgy with two sets of twins (and certainly not identical twins either!). The older d5k are in fact warmer than the newer set. The treble is a little more calm, and the newer set is actually a little tighter in the low end. The soundstage and treble on the older set, is really in the sweet spot. The d7000 truly is classsy. It just does everything to buttery perfection. I could't really be happier with them. They have enough hours to be fully burned in and are just pure pleasure so far.  And the TH900...She is definitely the person of the pack. When you wanna get down, dirty, and have fun...It's on. And still classy enough for an opera, with a glass of wine to match the cups, afterword. Some might consider my choices redundant, but I couldn't be happier at the moment. The LCD-2 lets me mix it up a little further if need be, but I HAVE to have bass in any can if I'm gonna enjoy them. I anxious to hear how the new d7200 is compared to the TH when they start showing up.

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #14,460 of 18,776
I'm loving my TH900mkII as well! Man, they just make it all happen. In one word, I would say...grandiose!  I did just receive a mint condition d7000 yesterday, and have been listening to it, one newer, and one older set of d5000, and the TH900, all evening. I feel like I'm in a headphone orgy with two sets of twins (and certainly not identical twins either!). The older d5k are in fact warmer than the newer set. The treble is a little more calm, and the newer set is actually a little tighter in the low end. The soundstage and treble on the older set, is really in the sweet spot. The d7000 truly is classsy. It just does everything to buttery perfection. I could't really be happier with them. They have enough hours to be fully burned in and are just pure pleasure so far.  And the TH900...She is definitely the person of the pack. When you wanna get down, dirty, and have fun...It's on. And still classy enough for an opera, with a glass of wine to match the cups, afterword. Some might consider my choices redundant, but I couldn't be happier at the moment. The LCD-2 lets me mix it up a little further if need be, but I HAVE to have bass in any can if I'm gonna enjoy them. I anxious to hear how the new d7200 is compared to the TH when they start showing up.

please do go on, so you have the th900, D7000, 2X D5000. So many Ds. and the lcd2.:D

What your opinion on all those headphones. Do you prefer classy or slutty. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back