Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 25, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #13,278 of 18,765
Just to be sure the only difference between a mk1 and mk2 is the detachable cable right?

Almost ! Who know what interior cables they used on MKII ? :D, the drivers were confirmed to be the same as MkI...however, 900 is so easily tuned that even a dampen foam discs can affect the sound quality.

Jun 25, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #13,279 of 18,765
Almost ! Who know what interior cables they used on MKII ?
biggrin.gif
, the drivers were confirmed to be the same as MkI...however, 900 is so easily tuned that even a dampen foam discs can affect the sound quality.

Hmm compelling.  I can purchase the TH900 mk 1 where i live at a 700 dollar price differential compared to the mk 2.  So definitely not* insignificant by any means.

Jun 25, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #13,280 of 18,765
two auditions was all it took for me. the first piqued my interest and the second was compelling.

Took one.  I really feel that it'd complement the T1 nicely, but as of late there've been one too many purchases.  Which is annoying.

Took one listen for me.  I heard it at the Charlotte, NC Head-fi meet a couple of years ago.  Heard a couple of other closed cans at the same time.  But I couldn't get the Th-900 out of my head.  Picked it up a few months later from Drew at Moon Audio.  I'm local to Moon, so I can call him, order it, and I always ask for a mini 4 pin xlr termination.  Then I can just go pick it up.

If you can get the Mk1 for 700 dollars less, I think that would be financially sound.  I haven't heard the Mk2, but you can probably get a lot of modifications done for 700 bucks - Including removable cables.  Seen it done here recently.  (Not sure who posted it.  Use the search function.  
tongue_smile.gif
.  lol)

Jun 25, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #13,281 of 18,765
  Took one listen for me.  I heard it at the Charlotte, NC Head-fi meet a couple of years ago.  Heard a couple of other closed cans at the same time.  But I couldn't get the Th-900 out of my head.  Picked it up a few months later from Drew at Moon Audio.  I'm local to Moon, so I can call him, order it, and I always ask for a mini 4 pin xlr termination.  Then I can just go pick it up.

If you can get the Mk1 for 700 dollars less, I think that would be financially sound.  I haven't heard the Mk2, but you can probably get a lot of modifications done for 700 bucks - Including removable cables.  Seen it done here recently.  (Not sure who posted it.  Use the search function.  
tongue_smile.gif
.  lol)

Same here, always been a fan of the D7000 so I took my stock pair with me and auditioned the TH-900. Sold right away.
I'd definitely go for the MkI for 700 less. I actually prefer non-removable.
Although you can do a removable mod some people are doing a hardwire mod on cans with removable cables. 
The less connectors and interruptions the better.
As far as I have read there is no other difference between the MkI and II.

Jun 25, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #13,282 of 18,765
I agree, the less connectors - the better. The only down side is that you will have a hard time carrying around a 10 ft long cables :D....not to mention if you do solid core cables ?

I do removable mod on mine because I want to be able to enjoy a 10ft length cables when I watch movies, and 3 ft length solid core high quality cables when I listen to hi-fi music

Jun 25, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #13,283 of 18,765
I agree, the less connectors - the better. The only down side is that you will have a hard time carrying around a 10 ft long cables
biggrin.gif
....not to mention if you do solid core cables ?

I do removable mod on mine because I want to be able to enjoy a 10ft length cables when I watch movies, and 3 ft length solid core high quality cables when I listen to hi-fi music

Ah, I see. I don't really care about the length of the cable at home, as long as it's long enough.
I can see the benefit if you want to go portable, never thought of that, only thought of trying out different cables.
I don't take that kind of phones with me outdoors though, only the P7.

Jun 25, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #13,284 of 18,765
Interrestingly enough, when I first auditioned the TH-900, I couldn't really tell there was a ton of bass. What drew me to it, at the time, was its "cohesive" sound. While Sennheisers tend to have "neatly organized", so to speak, treble, mids, and bass, and the AKG 702 has sound that is kind of all over the place, there was something very natural in the way the TH-900 put together sound, I thought. 

Not to say that the TH-900 lacked sound stage, or imaging, or "mushed" all the sounds together. There was just something very satisfying with the way the TH-900 presented its overall sound. 

So when I purchased the headphones, and then realized it has such amazing bass, it was just icing on the cake for me. 
basshead.gif

If the headphones call for you, you should go ahead and pick it up! You can always sell it later if you regret, and while you might take a bit of a hit, no more wondering for you, right? 

Jun 26, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #13,286 of 18,765
I agree, the less connectors - the better. The only down side is that you will have a hard time carrying around a 10 ft long cables
biggrin.gif
....not to mention if you do solid core cables ?

Ah, I see. I don't really care about the length of the cable at home, as long as it's long enough.
I can see the benefit if you want to go portable, never thought of that, only thought of trying out different cables.
I don't take that kind of phones with me outdoors though, only the P7.

I had Moon Audio put my mini xlr connector at about the length of the grado headphones. I think that is a perfect length for headphones.  I think it is about 4.5 feet or so.  Then they terminated the other end of the remaining cable with the receiving end of the mini xlr.  So I have a long extension made out of the TH900 with 1/4 connector, then I have a 1/8 inch TRS short connector, and a Ray Samuels 4 pin balanced connector.  That covers all my amps at this time.  Don't have a large XLR balanced amp, so I don't need that connector yet.

I know it adds an extra connection in the chain, but i love the flexibility it afford for all my different amps

Here is a pic of my old work setup.  You can see the mini xlr connections right above the Decco text.  You can also see that with the full length of the Fostex cable on here, it is wrapped all the way around the amp.  Comes out the front under the left side by the power button, and then re-enters the picture from the rear right.  If I left the full length without coiling, I would run it over with my work chair.  

Then if I want to go portable, I just add one of these bad boys for 1/8", or RSA Balanced to the Intruder.  Moon Audio blue Dragon cable.

Jun 27, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #13,287 of 18,765
I'm considering a project using the TH900 driver elements as they only cost $110 each. Anyone tried something similar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back