Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 23, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #13,246 of 18,761
I listen to some trance. I would say the TH900 is much better suited for the job. HD800 is too neutral and polite to be as engaging as the TH900 which gives you 99% of the detail that HD800 gives but at the same time gives you some nice bass slam which HD800 can't give you.

So overall for trance and for any genre really where bass is important, TH900 gives you more of a engaging and "toe tapping" sound.

HD800 is still pretty nice though. For trance though, 9 times outta 10 I will reach for MY TH900 for some chair raving :p

Trance is one of the genres I'm not a fan of and I heard many times the 900 does very well in that area.
But I can tell you theat's not the only genre the 900 does well, it rocks like helll and I enjoy it a lot for classical or the vocal/jazzy stuff as well.

Jun 23, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #13,248 of 18,761
I received my EMU Ebony cups today and swapped it into my 900....holy hell...that bass and warmth of the sound signature. It actually was overwhelming, and the imagines were a bit more constricted as well....therefore, I took it off after 20 minutes of auditioning. I realized that the Ebony cups had a shallower concave and the inner edges of the chambers are more angled compare to 900, and this makes the chambers of 900 larger and have better volumetric efficiency. I do think the 900 chambers were catered to by a lot of attentions from Fostex engineers. Unless, I was so used to the 900 sound signatures and my brain automatically deemed this much bass to be a not so "high end 900 quality" that I had to take it off ? The one thing I can confirm is that the Ebony shifted the 900 toward a more bassy and warmth sound together with the closer soundstage, somehow I really thought that it was North of neutral or tonally balanced. Be skeptical if you are, the changes in cup chamber volumetric do bring significant changes to the 900....either it can be better ? Or worse ? It will be up to your taste to judge

Jun 23, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #13,249 of 18,761
I do have one brand new pair of original TH-900 pads if anyone in the EU is looking for those. Ordered some replacements from Fostex as spares when I still had a stock TH-900. I'm afraid to look how many spare Lawton pads I have. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #13,257 of 18,761

I don't own the LCD-2, but I've tried it out at a couple of meetups, and I would think it's a little too "rich" sounding for trance/vocal trance. For electronic music, I actually think more neutral-sounding headphones work better (like the HD-800 or AKG K701, even if their bass isn't as strong as the TH-900). 

But if you had to the choose between the TH-900 and LCD-2, I would definitely pick the TH-900. I don't remember what the bass is like on the LCD-2, but the TH-900 as you probably already know has amazing bass. The overall sound-signature of the TH-900 is also more "fun" and "exciting", which would go better with trance/vocal trance. 

Sorry in advance that I comment on the old post (I don't come to headfi often as before after I ditch most of my headphones).

I know it's bit of different topic but TH900 has a good bass, but not comparable to the real subs.  It was amazing until I dedicated to 2.1 channel system. 
But TH900 has the best bass same goes to HE6 on speaker taps IMO. ^^.

peace.

Jun 24, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #13,259 of 18,761
It is. Granted I haven't compared to an LCD-3 or anything, but the bass sounds so well extended, textured and "defined" (none of that sloppy/boomy bass). Another thing is the treble. I absolutely love it. Others hate it. They're bright, but at the same time also smooth and very refined imo

Jun 24, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #13,260 of 18,761
It is. Granted I haven't compared to an LCD-3 or anything, but the bass sounds so well extended, textured and "defined" (none of that sloppy/boomy bass). Another thing is the treble. I absolutely love it. Others hate it. They're bright, but at the same time also smooth and very refined imo

Nah, I don't hate my 900 trebles. I also love it hehehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back