Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 5, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #11,611 of 18,763
Hey, so i decided to up my budget to around 1000$ for an amp/dac, how does the wa7 firefly sound with these? Would the fostex hpa8c be better?

Have you considered Schiit Bifrost (Multibit) and the upcoming Cavalli Liquid Carbon? HPA8C is a safe bet of course.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #11,612 of 18,763
I am about to purchase a JDS Labs Element from a fellow headfier, but before I make my final decision, can anyone that owns a TH900 recommend a dac/amp that will perform similar to The Element but without the hiss as some of eluded to. The TH900 are very sensitive to hissing and so am I. I want a black background if possible. I do have limited time as I am in need to provide an answer on The Element at some point today. Any advice would be appreciate.

TLDR: Non hissing dac/amp with similar specs of The Element to drive my Th900's.

I really hope I could give you a good answer...but I can't. The JDS Labs Elemental does look pretty sleak....but keeps me wondering if it is powerful enough? Anyway, looks pretty nice but I will not trade my Pioneer U-05 for anything else as long as I keep the TH900! :)

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #11,613 of 18,763
Have you considered Schiit Bifrost (Multibit) and the upcoming Cavalli Liquid Carbon? HPA8C is a safe bet of course.

I have considered schiit, but decided against it because i have heard they can make the treble on these hot. Havent heard of the cavalli, but i have been looking more towards all in one solutions (for synergy, and looks.)

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #11,614 of 18,763
If you're looking for an all-in-one solution, there's that Maasdrop Grace m9xx drop that's going on. There's only around 8 hours left on the drop, so you should hurry if you want in! I have no idea how it would pair with the TH-900, but I jumped in on the drop and can write impressions if you want. 

That said, I think the Fostex HP-A8 is another all-in-one that pairs well with the TH-900, apparently. 

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #11,615 of 18,763
I would love to hear impressions ^.^

Unfortunately i still have quite a while until i can actually purchase the amp/headphones, so i am unable to get that at the moment.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #11,616 of 18,763
I really hope I could give you a good answer...but I can't. The JDS Labs Elemental does look pretty sleak....but keeps me wondering if it is powerful enough? Anyway, looks pretty nice but I will not trade my Pioneer U-05 for anything else as long as I keep the TH900! :)

Currently in talks to purchase a v100, was going to buy an element but I got a good offer from someone with a v100 but I am troubled by its condition. Still unsure on it, but that's neither here nor there. I originally wanted and all in one unit or at least something that doesn't take up too much room. I wanted it to pair well with the TH900 and have a black background. This thing is sensitive and there are tons of times I have the headphone on with nothing playing and the hiss drives me nuts.

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #11,617 of 18,763
  I have the headphone on with nothing playing and the hiss drives me nuts.

Don't leave the headphones on with nothing playing
biggrin.gif
 Kind of like the guy who goes to the doctor and says "hey doc, it hurts when I move my arm like this" the doctor replies "don't move your arm like that". I'm joking, just couldn't resist.

Nov 7, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #11,618 of 18,763
Offtopic: 

Gents, please advise some good h-fi department or store in Seoul with headphones/amps/accessories. 

main targets: amps/interconnects/power cables but new cans to test wood be great. 

I would like to touch Bakoon, Luxman, Shiit, Auralic

Thanks. 

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #11,619 of 18,763
Hey, so i decided to up my budget to around 1000$ for an amp/dac, how does the wa7 firefly sound with these? Would the fostex hpa8c be better?

If you like some mid-warmth for your Th-900 you can consider the Marantz HD-Dac1. I find it pretty nice for it's 700 price tag.

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #11,620 of 18,763

Currently in talks to purchase a v100, was going to buy an element but I got a good offer from someone with a v100 but I am troubled by its condition. Still unsure on it, but that's neither here nor there. I originally wanted and all in one unit or at least something that doesn't take up too much room. I wanted it to pair well with the TH900 and have a black background. This thing is sensitive and there are tons of times I have the headphone on with nothing playing and the hiss drives me nuts.

Guessing that you are thinking to buy the Violectric V100? Have'nt heard it myself but a knowlegable guy at the Pioneer U-05 thread describe the V200 as a no go for TH900 http://www.head-fi.org/t/723304/pioneer-u-05-usb-dac-amp-with-dual-es9016/100_50#post_12058115. You might want to check it out before you descide.

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #11,622 of 18,763
Yeah, i will definitely put it alongside the hpac8 as an option. Thanks man ^.^

My pleasure! I had 'em both and they're both good amps. Just a matter of taste.
Never heard the Pioneer so I don't know how it compares to the other two but from what I read that would be a viable option as well.
If the quality is anywhere near their new M1 phones ...
Have these burning in for half a week now and just did an hour of listening with them on the Zana and GS-X. Pretty darn good.
My dealer is coming over tonight with a pair of HD800 I can use for the weekend to compare.

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #11,623 of 18,763
...a knowlegable guy at the Pioneer U-05 thread describe the V200 as a no go for TH900....

While I don't claim to be knowlegable, I had a TH-900 until recently and the V200 was my go-to amp. If you like a darker presentation without any veil or shelving, that's your amp. Just goes to show how we all have different preferences.

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #11,624 of 18,763
...a knowlegable guy at the Pioneer U-05 thread describe the V200 as a no go for TH900....

While I don't claim to be knowlegable, I had a TH-900 until recently and the V200 was my go-to amp. If you like a darker presentation without any veil or shelving, that's your amp. Just goes to show how we all have different preferences.

Well of course. Preferences and knowledge is two different things. I am not saying he is right but he is very specific about what he does'nt like though.

Nov 7, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #11,625 of 18,763
Well of course. Preferences and knowledge is two different things. I am not saying he is right but he is very specific about what he does'nt like though.

He might be right, he might be wrong. The notion that "experts" possess a special level of knowledge as compared to others is often the target of legitimate critique. Still, I hear you, but most of this is highly subjective experience as opposed to fact. My old combination of the Schiit Valhalla and HF2 were supposed to be terrible, but to my ears they were an excellent combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back