Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 18, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #10,307 of 18,765
Oh my god, these headphones are sick!  Do they actually need time to break in? I don't care, the sound is simply mesmerising. 

M e s m e r i s i n g!!!

ZX2+VP1+TH900 is a wonderful combination. 
beyersmile.png

May 18, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #10,310 of 18,765
well that depends on who you ask.
wink.gif
glad you like 'em.

The VAST majority of people who hear the TH900 really like them, those who don't it is safe to say are in the minority by far. Now you can like something, but not prefer it over another signature so when I say like that doesn't imply thinking the sound sig is the best. The TH900 are very respected for what they bring to the table.

May 18, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #10,311 of 18,765

The VAST majority of people who hear the TH900 really like them, those who don't it is safe to say are in the minority by far. Now you can like something, but not prefer it over another signature so when I say like that doesn't imply thinking the sound sig is the best. The TH900 are very respected for what they bring to the table.

I think he is merely refering to my "break in" comment. 

May 18, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #10,312 of 18,765
May 18, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #10,313 of 18,765
Okay, finally pulling the trigger and am going to purchase the TH-900's today as soon as I hear from a couple of you guys.

Should I purchase the TH-900's from Amazon (~$1,223.88), or somewhere else, or does it really matter much?

Also I want to get a decent headphone stand.  I saw "Wooden Omega Headphones Stand/Hanger/Holder - Walnut Finish"  on Amazon for ~ $44.  These pretty good?

I'm getting the O2+ODAC combo to go with the TH-900's.  Here's my other post in regards to that; perhaps you guys could help me finalize my order:

I currently use ATH-AD900X's for everything.  Don't have any other headphones.  I'm going to purchase a O2+ODAC today for my PC.  Questions:

1. Where should I buy it or does it matter?

2.  Was looking at JDS Labs website and there are different customizable options:  
  1. Rear mounted vs Front mounted power jack.  Any difference/benefit?
  2. 3.5mm vs. 6.35mm (headphone jack output)  - I need 3.5mm for both AD900X and TH-900, correct?
  3. DAC line-output = Default 3.5mm vs Deadicated read line output 3.5mm vs Dedicated rear RCA line-outputs (I have no idea about any of this)
  4. Gain = Medium (1.0x , 3.5x), Standard (2.5x, 6.5x), (1.0x, 2.5x)   (also have no idea what to choose)

The O2+ODAC will be used for both my AD900X's and TH-900's.  

I have finally decided to pull the trigger and get this amp/dac because I've been listening to my 900X's on my iPad lately and realized how much better they sound on my iPad vs my PC (PC using very old Realtek onboard sound).  

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any help/advice/suggestions/informations/recommendation/tips/opinions etc.    It will be very much appreciated.  

Sincerely,

Jeremy (wannabe audiophile)

I'm purchasing both the O2+ODAC and TH-900's today, so any help from you fellers is very much appreciated.  I've been thinking about this for over a year, so I need to go ahead and buy this stuff before I change my mind again, lol.

May 18, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #10,314 of 18,765
  Okay, finally pulling the trigger and am going to purchase the TH-900's today as soon as I hear from a couple of you guys.

Should I purchase the TH-900's from Amazon (~$1,223.88), or somewhere else, or does it really matter much?

Also I want to get a decent headphone stand.  I saw "Wooden Omega Headphones Stand/Hanger/Holder - Walnut Finish"  on Amazon for ~ $44.  These pretty good?

I'm getting the O2+ODAC combo to go with the TH-900's.  Here's my other post in regards to that; perhaps you guys could help me finalize my order:

I currently use ATH-AD900X's for everything.  Don't have any other headphones.  I'm going to purchase a O2+ODAC today for my PC.  Questions:

1. Where should I buy it or does it matter?

2.  Was looking at JDS Labs website and there are different customizable options:  
  1. Rear mounted vs Front mounted power jack.  Any difference/benefit?
  2. 3.5mm vs. 6.35mm (headphone jack output)  - I need 3.5mm for both AD900X and TH-900, correct?
  3. DAC line-output = Default 3.5mm vs Deadicated read line output 3.5mm vs Dedicated rear RCA line-outputs (I have no idea about any of this)
  4. Gain = Medium (1.0x , 3.5x), Standard (2.5x, 6.5x), (1.0x, 2.5x)   (also have no idea what to choose)

The O2+ODAC will be used for both my AD900X's and TH-900's.  

I have finally decided to pull the trigger and get this amp/dac because I've been listening to my 900X's on my iPad lately and realized how much better they sound on my iPad vs my PC (PC using very old Realtek onboard sound).  

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any help/advice/suggestions/informations/recommendation/tips/opinions etc.    It will be very much appreciated.  

Sincerely,

Jeremy (wannabe audiophile)

I'm purchasing both the O2+ODAC and TH-900's today, so any help from you fellers is very much appreciated.  I've been thinking about this for over a year, so I need to go ahead and buy this stuff before I change my mind again, lol.

I would contact Brian at Razordog audio. That is where I purchased both my HE 560 and TH 900.

May 18, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #10,315 of 18,765

I would contact Brian at Razordog audio. That is where I purchased both my HE 560 and TH 900.

Thank you very much for the response, Sonic.

Should I just use the e-mail I found on the website and ask for Brian?: info@razordogaudio.com

or should I contact him via another method?  

The TH-900's come standard with a headphone stand, correct?  Is it fairly adequate or should I get something better? 

Thanks.

May 18, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #10,316 of 18,765
I also purchased mine from Brian at Razordog, great service and prices! 

The TH900 actually come with a decent stand to begin with and it's actually what I use for my TH900 (with my Woo Audio stand for HD800 and T1). I like that it doesn't put pressure on the earpads, keeps the earcups from spinning, and looks pretty understated but still nice. The rounded top is nice as well and fortunately the design of the TH900 headband won't cause it to leave any significant imprint on the headband. 
I'd say try the stand it comes with first and replace if you don't like it. 

The TH900 has a 6.3mm plug, so you can either get that type on your amp or you can use an adapter to get the 6.3mm down to 3.5mm. 
I would go for lower gain on the amp for the TH900, but I don't know about the AD900X or any future headphones you might consider getting down the line. TH900 is quite efficient and higher gain may just end up introducing background noise with the headphones. 
The other questions would depend on what else you plan to set the O2/ODAC up with. I usually like power jacks in the back since it looks cleaner but that's down to preference. The DAC output would depend on how you plan to hook up your gear, with RCA cables being the standard connectors for most non-portable audio equipment. 

May 18, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #10,317 of 18,765

The TH900 actually come with a decent stand to begin with and it's actually what I use for my TH900 (with my Woo Audio stand for HD800 and T1). I like that it doesn't put pressure on the earpads, keeps the earcups from spinning, and looks pretty understated but still nice. The rounded top is nice as well and fortunately the design of the TH900 headband won't cause it to leave any significant imprint on the headband. 

The TH900 has a 6.3mm plug, so you can either get that type on your amp or you can use an adapter to get the 6.3mm down to 3.5mm. 
I would go for lower gain on the amp for the TH900, but I don't know about the AD900X or any future headphones you might consider getting down the line. TH900 is quite efficient and higher gain may just end up introducing background noise with the headphones. 
The other questions would depend on what else you plan to set the O2/ODAC up with. I usually like power jacks in the back since it looks cleaner but that's down to preference. The DAC output would depend on how you plan to hook up your gear, with RCA cables being the standard connectors for most non-portable audio equipment. 

I'm glad you told me it uses 6.35mm, because I thought it use 3.5mm.  

So I need 

Thanks for the response, earthpeople!

Very glad you told me the TH900's are 6.35mm!  I thought they were 3.5mm.  

So should I get a 6.35mm headphone jack output on my O2+ODAC?  And, if so, what would I need to do to get my AD900X's to work on it?  Is there a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter I could use?  And if so, would the adapter degrade the sound quality at all?  

The AD900X's specs are:

Driver Diameter53 mm
Frequency Response5 – 35,000 Hz
Maximum Input Power1,000 mW
Sensitivity100 dB/mW
Impedance 38 ohms

I think that means the 900X's are fairly efficient, but I'm pretty ignorant and not exactly sure how to interpret those specs.

So you would recommend Low (1.0x, 2.5x) vs Medium (1.0x, 3.5x)?  Would the Medium setting introduce any noise and/or degradation of sound vs Low for the 900X's and, most importantly, the TH-900's?

Thanks.  

Edit:

I'm connecting the O2+ODAC to my PC and connecting my headphones to the O2+ODAC.  In this case, should I go for the Dedicated rear RCA line-outputs for the DAC?  Also, will I need to purchase any additional items (cables, connectors, adapters, etc.) for this to work?

Thanks again.

May 18, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #10,318 of 18,765
Yes, there are 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapters available. There are two main kinds, as you can see in the following links. You will want a 3.5mm female to 6.3mm male. Despite what some may tell you, realistically you won't notice any degradation of the sound quality.

http://www.amazon.com/iMBAPrice%C2%AE-Premium-Quality-Adapter-STEREO/dp/B00BE50BPO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1431987766&sr=8-3&keywords=3.5mm+to+6.3mm
http://www.amazon.com/igloon-TM-Headphone-Extension-Headphones/dp/B00MP62SI4/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1431987766&sr=8-16&keywords=3.5mm+to+6.3mm

I think it's safe to say the AD900X are pretty efficient too based on the specs and the fact that you can listen to them comfortably on an iPad. I would probably check with JDS Labs or another owner of the headphone/amp combo for their opinion on whether you should go low or medium gain, as I don't have direct experience and would hate to lead you wrong.
With that said, about 50%-60% of the amps I've owned give a very slight background hiss with my TH900. Not a problem when music is playing, but it drives me crazy on quiet passages or between songs.

The O2+ODAC is a combo unit that has both the DAC and amp in one, so actually all you need is a USB cable to connect the device to your computer. If you think you might want to hook this up to a different amp in the future, I would say the rear RCA line-outs would be a good thing to add on. I'm not sure how much extra it costs, but it would be a nice future-proofing thing if it's not much more.

May 18, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #10,319 of 18,765
The noise you hear during quiet passages also depends on the recording rig. Older analogue recordings are typically noisy where I find contemporary recordings can be much blacker background. Beyond that the amps signal to noise comes into play, but I suspect the O2 is decent. If you don't listen to music with very wide dynamic swings, really quiet passages for any real period of time even a slightly noisy amp may not bother you. But as was mentioned, the TH900 are sensitive so if you do like very quiet passages in your music you need to understand that if the recordings are also fairly noisy you are going to hear hiss.

I haven't noticed any issue with the TH900 so far, but I don't really listen to older recordings anymore, at least not very often preferring electronic music these days. I would also get the RCA out option. The more flexibility you pay for the better, eventually you're going to sell the gear and more options = more potential buyers. I can't imagine any adapter resulting in sound quality degradation that you could hear. Let us know how things go for you.

May 18, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #10,320 of 18,765

sigh

I think he is merely refering to my "break in" comment. 

yep

Users who are viewing this thread

Back