Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 27, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #8,236 of 18,761
Thanks, @Zojokkeli, I appreciate the response.  The Bakoon HDA-5210mk3 sounds like a very nice amp.  And seems to pair well with the TH900.  I looked it up and found a review on Headhonia.com.  I didn't read every paragraph, but got an idea for what it is, since I couldn't find it on the Bakoon website.  Says it's made in Japan and hard to find, too.  Where did you get yours if I may ask?

Nov 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #8,237 of 18,761
Thank you for all of the replies, everyone. Taking the advice, I was able to track down my dad's old Kenwood KA-3500 speaker amp. After opening it up and cleaning it out (as well as I dared without risking breaking anything), I hooked it up, switched "Loudness" on, and turn off the +9db bass boost I'd been using. Holy crap! Minor static during volume adjustment and a bit of background hiss aside, this thing's really giving some new life to my Fostex. It has what I'd say is a warmer sound, and gobs of bass. I'm very impressed, though I think that it lacks some amount of the precision found in the Asgard 2. If only someone made a modern version of this receiver!

Again, I really appreciate the thoughts on this. I'll have to think about my next step, be it optimizing my current hardware, or pursuing something new. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #8,238 of 18,761
  Thanks, @Zojokkeli, I appreciate the response.  The Bakoon HDA-5210mk3 sounds like a very nice amp.  And seems to pair well with the TH900.  I looked it up and found a review on Headhonia.com.  I didn't read every paragraph, but got an idea for what it is, since I couldn't find it on the Bakoon website.  Says it's made in Japan and hard to find, too.  Where did you get yours if I may ask?

I bought mine used from a fellow head-fi member, but you can find Bakoon products on Ebay.

http://stores.ebay.com/From-JPN-products/Bakoon-Products-/_i.html?_fsub=4340132011

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #8,239 of 18,761

However, I also found out today "different source" a new TH900 balanced version will be released soon, it's going to be showcased in the United States at a upcoming HI-FI show

Waiting on this..

popcorn.gif

Nov 28, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #8,241 of 18,761
Unfortunately, this leaning seems to put me at odds with what is generally considered to be high-end sound. What I find that many of you refer to as a flat response I call anemic.

Admittedly, I listen to a lot of electronic music, so my bass needs will, I imagine, be higher than those into acoustic or classical. My question is: am I doing this wrong, somehow? I read posts stating that the Fostex TH900 have so much bass that it actually bothers people enough to return them(!). By default? Really? I don't understand how that could be possible, unless folks saying this haven't spent time with a decent home theater setup, or just plain hate bass.

You're pretty much right.

Compared with a good speaker set-up, the TH900s LACK bass, at least at the low-end. They're generally good, and preferable to most headphones that I've heard, although I think my Stax Lambdas probably kick harder at the low end. From my limited exposure to HD800s and T1s, no thanks, they're tilted to the treble and lack bass compared with the Fostex and Stax.

Listening to something like Brand X, Unorthodox Behaviour emphasizes the point; it's weedy on the Fostex, but has lots of low-end growl and enormous slam on a high-end speaker system. However, the bass should be missing most of the time, and rattling the windows when it kicks in... it probably goes to lower frequencies than headphones can manage, though.

I strongly suspect that the perceived limitations [size=13.3333330154419px]with the TH900s [/size]are a source/amp issue, not a limitation of the headphones. That also applies to the mids, which are really not especially recessed, and treble, not just the bass. They are more than revealing enough to show limitations of the upstream equipment. They don't suffer from bass being bloated.

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #8,242 of 18,761
I listen to lots of electronic, down tempo, blues, jazz, even classicle is amazing on the th900, however im mod ing the cable and in a few weeks get back with details. I really beleive this alone, moving to high quality cable can do wonders to all spectrums, like my quad ribbon did for my 846. Of course amp is also criticle. Happy listening fostex folks.

Nov 28, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #8,243 of 18,761
I'm listening to the TH900 on the single-ended output of the Schiit Ragnarok, and my god can it blast out clean, controlled low bass. Coupled with the Rag's engaging, toe-tapping character, it's impossible not to head bop along with the music. The additional emphasis on the lower mids really helps prevent the Th900 sounding too thin and strident too.

Nov 28, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #8,244 of 18,761
I'm sure this has been touched on in the 550 pages but looking for impressions on cables. I ran a Toxic cable when I had my LCD's but haven't looked much into changing up the cable on my 900's. Not looking to increase low or high end just improve overall sound quality "if possible". The other thing that worries me is sending them out to get re-cabled. I have dealt w/ Moon Audio and Lawton, so would have no issues sending them there but overseas would be a no go. Share your thoughts on how aftermarket cables have changed your 900's.

Nov 28, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #8,245 of 18,761
I'm sure this has been touched on in the 550 pages but looking for impressions on cables. I ran a Toxic cable when I had my LCD's but haven't looked much into changing up the cable on my 900's. Not looking to increase low or high end just improve overall sound quality "if possible". The other thing that worries me is sending them out to get re-cabled. I have dealt w/ Moon Audio and Lawton, so would have no issues sending them there but overseas would be a no go. Share your thoughts on how aftermarket cables have changed your 900's.

They are out at lawtons right now for black scorpion cable upgrade, Jenna 22 awg copper etc....when I get them back I'll post. I really beleive better pipe, better range, clarity, separation. But test it I shall and report back. Again the quad ribbon cable upgrade to my 846 was very impressive, so hope for the same.

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #8,246 of 18,761

I had Brian from BTG audio put Q French Silk cable on my D7000 after buying my TH900 with it already installed. Not only was it better looking the lightness and flexibility over stock was well worth the $. Brian was quick to do it as well.

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #8,247 of 18,761

I had Brian from BTG audio put Q French Silk cable on my D7000 after buying my TH900 with it already installed. Not only was it better looking the lightness and flexibility over stock was well worth the $. Brian was quick to do it as well.

Went to the site very affordable. I would only consider sound improvement if doing a cable upgrade, my parameters take me to 100 $ per foot it seems. Glad you like the mod of course.

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #8,248 of 18,761
You're pretty much right.

Compared with a good speaker set-up, the TH900s LACK bass, at least at the low-end. They're generally good, and preferable to most headphones that I've heard, although I think my Stax Lambdas probably kick harder at the low end. From my limited exposure to HD800s and T1s, no thanks, they're tilted to the treble and lack bass compared with the Fostex and Stax.

Listening to something like Brand X, Unorthodox Behaviour emphasizes the point; it's weedy on the Fostex, but has lots of low-end growl and enormous slam on a high-end speaker system. However, the bass should be missing most of the time, and rattling the windows when it kicks in... it probably goes to lower frequencies than headphones can manage, though.

I strongly suspect that the perceived limitations [SIZE=13.3333330154419px]with the TH900s [/SIZE]are a source/amp issue, not a limitation of the headphones. That also applies to the mids, which are really not especially recessed, and treble, not just the bass. They are more than revealing enough to show limitations of the upstream equipment. They don't suffer from bass being bloated.

you've gotta be kidding

Nov 30, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #8,249 of 18,761
Just wanted to post that Liquid Glass is an amazing match with TH 900, perfect synergy.  TH 900  bass is tight, Soundstage is wide, Clarity / detail , imaging & instrument separation are as good as it gets IMO. It supports the TH 900 admirably in overcoming its shortcomings (read recessed mid-range). Also the sound can be fine tuned to your liking by rolling 6sn7's (other driver tube types can be used as well but I am sticking to 6sn7'S). The TH 900 was not being used regularly after I sold the WA22 (another good match) as I always felt the mids suck out with AGD M9 but now will be back in regular rotation again.

Nov 30, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #8,250 of 18,761
Did you find the mids on Master 9 worse than on other amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back