Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Apr 10, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #6,796 of 18,760
  I'd get them back when the kids grow up a bit, probably another 5-6 years. 

By then, your kids might end up using them more than you. =P
True story: I have a friend (here in S'pore as well) who for years told me he wanted to buy a sports coupe, but put it off, saying "I'll wait until my son gets into university". He finally bought a BRZ last year. Problem is, the son enrolled in a local university, continued to live with the parents, and now drives the BRZ around more than the dad does. XD

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #6,799 of 18,760
No, the cups covered with lacquer all over, so no need to do any wood treatment things to it :wink:
Clean them with a soft cloth, that should be enough.

Ah.. ok thsnks for the info.

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #6,800 of 18,760

By then, your kids might end up using them more than you. =P
True story: I have a friend (here in S'pore as well) who for years told me he wanted to buy a sports coupe, but put it off, saying "I'll wait until my son gets into university". He finally bought a BRZ last year. Problem is, the son enrolled in a local university, continued to live with the parents, and now drives the BRZ around more than the dad does. XD

Yeah, I understand what you mean :)  

To me I can't enjoy using open back headphones at home now, and I can't just sit in front of my computer for long. That's why I opted for portable audio set up even at home. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #6,801 of 18,760
  I have both, to be honest I prefer HD800 because it's more neutral.
If you like/liked Denon sound signature and you want more bass then TH900 is for you.

There is few important thing that you need to consider.
1. colored headphone or mass bass/treble headphone will make your ears tired.
2. hd800 complete setup will cost you more than $5500, ($1500 HD800, DAC $1500, AMP $2500)

I can only listen to TH900 at most an hour or two. HD800 I can wear all day.
But TH900 is really fun headphone.

I watch or listen movies/youtube/mp3 etc with HD800 due to larger sound stage than TH900.

The best answer :wink: is to get both 
beerchug.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi; keep a good grip on your wallet.

I own both of these, and I'm not sure I'd be happy with either of them as my only pair of headphones, but, by a slight margin, I would say that the TH900 would be the better all-rounder of the two.  But it would depend on the type(s) of music you listen to.

I own both and a few more :smile:. IMO, the TH 900. I am a rock-genre only person and the 900 does it all.

Had the HD800, twice actually. Sold them in favor of TH900. I use TH900 for pretty much everything if it's not too hot at home or if we have aircon on. They are just so easy to work with, and sound great with any of these: 802/901/Herus/HP-A4/HP-A8 or just the iPad Air. With HD800, I'm more or less restricted to the desktop setup, which I really don't have the luxury nowadays (got two schooling kids at home). 

HD800s sound more natural, and they are more comfortable (TH900s are super comfortable, but HD800s are better in this regard). They do need some proper setup to drive properly, otherwise the sound can be a bit thin/lean. I'd get them back when the kids grow up a bit, probably another 5-6 years. 

Everyone, thank you for the measured replies. I really appreciate them. :)

I've heard both headphones but as in many situations in life, second opinions can be very illuminating. This will be my first headphone purchase as I'm more familiar with speakers and in-ear monitors.

If it helps, I primarily listen to live recordings.

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #6,802 of 18,760

Everyone, thank you for the measured replies. I really appreciate them. :)

I've heard both headphones but as in many situations in life, second opinions can be very illuminating. This will be my first headphone purchase as I'm more familiar with speakers and in-ear monitors.

If it helps, I primarily listen to live recordings.

Hope you find what you like, both headphones are great, that's why I have both :)
Let us know what you ended up. 

Cheers,
D,

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #6,807 of 18,760
I just want to say that I've had my TH900s for about a month and I absolutely adore them.  I have an HP-A8 on the way from Japan.  I've tortured myself deciding which amp to pair them with, but I like the features that the HP-A8 offers (DSD, SD card slot, etc.) and at this point I trust Fostex.  Currently all that I have is a Centrance DACPort, but man, does the TH900 sound beautiful.  From Jessye Norman singing Strauss' "Four Last Songs" to the latest Nine Inch Nails album I love what I'm hearing!

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #6,808 of 18,760
After few weeks of TH900, I miss my D7000. Should have kept the Denon :frowning2: but don't get me wrong, th900 is step above d7000, just that d7000 has better mids and really beautiful natural sounding bass. :wink:

Apr 19, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #6,809 of 18,760
never heard the d7000 but wish I had. get the impression that it might sound lush next to the th900 which is kinda dry.

Apr 19, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #6,810 of 18,760
After few weeks of TH900, I miss my D7000. Should have kept the Denon
frown.gif
but don't get me wrong, th900 is step above d7000, just that d7000 has better mids and really beautiful natural sounding bass.
wink.gif

I must keep my D7000 too  
smily_headphones1.gif

As second HighEnd headphone beside my AKG K812

Users who are viewing this thread

Back