Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #5,716 of 18,762
You might just prefer a brighter sound and it probably isn't necessarily the TH900's fault. On the other hand, the TH600 might not be settled down yet and what you're hearing might be just spiky treble.

actually the Treble was super boring the 1st two weeks, then it started to sparkle. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #5,717 of 18,762
Got my TH900 recabled by   Casques-headphones.com   
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #5,718 of 18,762
  I'm now a proud owner of the TH900 :).

And wow!  These headphones are truly a masterpiece.  One of the only headphones that's probably worth its asking price.  These headphones are simply stunning from its performance to its looks.

I've owned a few 1000k+ headphones and none of them have wowed me the way the TH900 has.  In fact many of them were a huge disappointment.

I see people talk a lot about Audeze, Beyerdynamics, HiFiMan, Sennheiser, etc.  I've tried them all and none of them were as comfortable, sounded as good, or even looked as good as the TH900.  These headphones are perfection from its build to the sound quality.  It is a pair of headphones I do not regret spending my money on.

Fostex has created a masterpiece here.  It is the greatest headphone I've ever head the pleasure of listening to.

Welcome to the club!
darthsmile.gif

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #5,720 of 18,762
  Using them with the Alpha Pads, yet i don't think the change of the sound should be big, it should be subtle  :p 

Have you tried them with the stock pads? Pads will always affect the sound; it may be bigger than you think...

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #5,721 of 18,762
  Have you tried them with the stock pads? Pads will always affect the sound; it may be bigger than you think...

i did for the 1st day only, back on the TH600 i was always using the stock pads though. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #5,722 of 18,762
I'd be curious to hear from those who have spent a lot of time with the D7000, and now have the TH900: Does the TH900 still have that easy-going listening quality?-- sparkly treble, but not too bright/aggressive on top? A rich, organic, lush medium/low end? I love the D7000, but am hesitant to spend so much on the TH900 upgrade. I would love greater articulation/clarity, but not at the expense of getting too sharp or bright. What do you think-- should I take the plunge with the Fostex, or look elsewhere (or stay with the D7000)? Thanks for your thoughts.

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #5,723 of 18,762
How much of a difference do you detect? I'm on the fence about recabling but leaning towards no.

I recabled it mainly to get it Balanced Since I had à Balanced amp. I can't tell the différence in sound because i had it recabled Balanced few days after i bought it and did not listen to it seriously with the stock câble. As for the câble itself I can just say I like a lot its... Look. :)

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #5,725 of 18,762
  actually the Treble was super boring the 1st two weeks, then it started to sparkle. 

Interesting. I have read somewhere that the 600 has grainier treble, I don't know if you're attributing that to sparkle, but if not, you might want to take the 900 to a meet or some place that has another pair of the 900 and try to compare.

How much of a difference do you detect? I'm on the fence about recabling but leaning towards no.

Bad woodcans, stirring up cable debates 
biggrin.gif
 PMd.

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #5,726 of 18,762
  I'd be curious to hear from those who have spent a lot of time with the D7000, and now have the TH900: Does the TH900 still have that easy-going listening quality?-- sparkly treble, but not too bright/aggressive on top? A rich, organic, lush medium/low end? I love the D7000, but am hesitant to spend so much on the TH900 upgrade. I would love greater articulation/clarity, but not at the expense of getting too sharp or bright. What do you think-- should I take the plunge with the Fostex, or look elsewhere (or stay with the D7000)? Thanks for your thoughts.

By all means go for the TH900.  It has the D7000's basic attributes only much, much better and then some.  You will not be disappointed!

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #5,727 of 18,762
i gave it 11 hours on the pink noise, WoW the sound is way cleaner, i were able to turn the amp volume way higher than i could handled yesterday!! even though that this headphone is like one year old!! :D 

Nov 15, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #5,728 of 18,762
  I'm now a proud owner of the TH900 :).

And wow!  These headphones are truly a masterpiece.  One of the only headphones that's probably worth its asking price.  These headphones are simply stunning from its performance to its looks.

I've owned a few 1000k+ headphones and none of them have wowed me the way the TH900 has.  In fact many of them were a huge disappointment.

I see people talk a lot about Audeze, Beyerdynamics, HiFiMan, Sennheiser, etc.  I've tried them all and none of them were as comfortable, sounded as good, or even looked as good as the TH900.  These headphones are perfection from its build to the sound quality.  It is a pair of headphones I do not regret spending my money on.

Fostex has created a masterpiece here.  It is the greatest headphone I've ever head the pleasure of listening to.

beerchug.gif

I feel the same, despite owning many other headphones I find myself drawn to the TH900 by far the most. The sound is just so bloody infectious and involving. Must be the great euphony you hear being thrown around, I find it my most "euphonic" headphone.

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #5,729 of 18,762
now the WA7 (EH golden tubes) started to sound awesome with the TH900, been like 6 days where i spend 3-5 hours each day on both, yesterday i had fun with it, today when i switched to the M-Stage opa627 i wasn't happy with the music, i though i got bord or something, went back to the WA7 and i got what i missed from yesterday :3

atm i am trying to listen on low volume , like 50% on both of the PC and the Amp, trying to avoid the crazy leakage -.-'' good thing that these cans can do the micro details on low volume, thanks for telling me so guys! :D 

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #5,730 of 18,762
  now the WA7 (EH golden tubes) started to sound awesome with the TH900, been like 6 days where i spend 3-5 hours each day on both, yesterday i had fun with it, today when i switched to the M-Stage opa627 i wasn't happy with the music, i though i got bord or something, went back to the WA7 and i got what i missed from yesterday :3

atm i am trying to listen on low volume , like 50% on both of the PC and the Amp, trying to avoid the crazy leakage -.-'' good thing that these cans can do the micro details on low volume, thanks for telling me so guys! :D 

It would be best to keep the computer at 100% I believe to not affect the signal/bit depth. Especially if using Foobar ASIO or Kernal Streaming as the volume control doe not preserve bit depth. Control the volume from the amp if it is possible at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back