Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 15, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #5,101 of 18,776
Quote:

I'm not sure what it was. I guess I like a bit more mid presence. The T1 had too much of a V shape sound that was really awkward sounding with my main genres. They were very good with classical and orchestra, from what I remember but for strong vocal and string instrument pieces it lacked body. The HD800 are better, in this regard, IMO. Mids are very important to me. They can bit set back, but they need to remain lush and sweet sounding. The T1 mids were anything but that, IMO. That is what I meant by dry. 

@Bolded text - 
eek.gif
 Out with the old, in with the new?

out of your setup, you find the TH-900 less V shaped? or do you just use TH-900 for different things?

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #5,102 of 18,776
Quote:

Am all for having multiple pairs of headphones for their different flavour and presentations, and perhaps there is a "collect them all" aspect in play, but for me if the music I listen to are not fundamentally enjoyable with a headphone then there is not much point owning a headphone.

Think about it as broadening my horizons. I have specific artists, genres, tracks that I favor, but I don't know everything. I am sure there are many, many tracks out there that I will enjoy.

I have found, through a lot of listening in this hobby, that I favor certain music to certain phones. I've discovered I liked a bit of classical, but this was not until I owned the T1 for example. Before I had the T1, I could care less. I find myself actively seeking classical music now (or at least modern renditions of them). The end goal is not to have many headphones because I can, but to discover more music than I would usually listen to if I had only one set.

Life is about discovery. 

Do you have any tracks to recommend?

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #5,107 of 18,776
Quote:

out of your setup, you find the TH-900 less V shaped? or do you just use TH-900 for different things?

I find the TH-900 less V shaped with sweeter mids (actually I find the more U, than V). I do use the TH-900 for different genres, but they do sound good with classical and the like as well. My setup has changed immensely since I've had the T1, so it is possible my opinion would change if I hear them again.

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #5,108 of 18,776
From my brief auditioning time, it is the way the TH900 portrays upper mids/ lower highs that captured me....such tonal purity.

For female vocals, it is sublime...
size]

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #5,109 of 18,776
Quote:
From my brief auditioning time, it is the way the TH900 portrays upper mids/ lower highs that captured me....such tonal purity.

For female vocals, it is sublime...
size]

Ugh. My pair is only 2 days away from me. I'll be sure to test some of my favorite female vocals :). Thanks!

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #5,110 of 18,776
Think about it as broadening my horizons. I have specific artists, genres, tracks that I favor, but I don't know everything. I am sure there are many, many tracks out there that I will enjoy.

I have found, through a lot of listening in this hobby, that I favor certain music to certain phones. I've discovered I liked a bit of classical, but this was not until I owned the T1 for example. Before I had the T1, I could care less. I find myself actively seeking classical music now (or at least modern renditions of them). The end goal is not to have many headphones because I can, but to discover more music than I would usually listen to if I had only one set.

Life is about discovery. 

Do you have any tracks to recommend?

Get yourself a Spotify free account (or Pandora assuming you are in US, cannot tell as on mobile)

Have discovered lots of new artists and bands that way. See also the music forum here, female vocals, live albums and "songs that make your headphones go wow" threads

Examples of my recent discoveries include The Low Anthem, Orkervil River and Ally Rhodes

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #5,111 of 18,776
Get yourself a Spotify free account (or Pandora assuming you are in US, cannot tell as on mobile)

Have discovered lots of new artists and bands that way. See also the music forum here, female vocals, live albums and "songs that make your headphones go wow" threads

Examples of my recent discoveries include The Low Anthem, Orkervil River and Ally Rhodes

Got spotify premium. Yup awesome way to discover music, but sometimes, i don't fancy an algorithm making recommendations for me. Feels too...artificial, if you know what I mean. The unpredictability of discovering via other people is more exciting.

Those are great threads you mentioned, and i do frequent those already.

Thanks for the recommendations. Will give those a whirl thiss weekend.:)

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #5,112 of 18,776
After almost a month I think I'll return my TH900. There's something about the treble that makes it difficult to listen for longer than 30-60 minutes; I almost always feel a headache coming on. I've used both Liquid Glass and Balancing Act so I don't think it's an amp issue.

I've had both HD800 and SR-009 without the same problem so I'm very confused. I find it a little odd that no one seems to have complained about the treble in all the threads I've read. Is anyone aware of any variability between different units?

The Moon Audio Silver Dragon is much smoother than the copper cable. If you are going to send them back, then switching cables might not help enough. Anyway, I always thought they were a little crunchy with a copper cable. Now I have the silver cable and the ZDSE and it's not a bit harsh. My brief listen on the ECBA was a little brighter, but it was a totally different dac & cables. The EC amps should be darn close. The Silver Dragon is a super upgrade imho.

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #5,113 of 18,776
Just ordered the TH900's & HP-A8C. The DAC/AMP is in stock, but the headphones are backordered. I suppose there's some strange logic to that - when you finally make up your mind, you have to wait to receive it. 

When I do get them, I'll have a pair of LCD2.r2 loaners to compare to - and I thought quite highly of the Audeze's. 

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #5,114 of 18,776
Quote:
Just ordered the TH900's & HP-A8C. The DAC/AMP is in stock, but the headphones are backordered. I suppose there's some strange logic to that - when you finally make up your mind, you have to wait to receive it. 

When I do get them, I'll have a pair of LCD2.r2 loaners to compare to - and I thought quite highly of the Audeze's. 

Congratz. You should be very happy with that combo. Many owners have reported good synergy (obviously). 

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #5,115 of 18,776
Quote:
The Moon Audio Silver Dragon is much smoother than the copper cable. If you are going to send them back, then switching cables might not help enough. Anyway, I always thought they were a little crunchy with a copper cable. Now I have the silver cable and the ZDSE and it's not a bit harsh. My brief listen on the ECBA was a little brighter, but it was a totally different dac & cables. The EC amps should be darn close. The Silver Dragon is a super upgrade imho.

Just ordered the TH-900's with the Silver Dragons balanced.....looking forward to see how they work with my gear....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back