Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 1, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #4,621 of 18,761
Quote:

Depends on what you're looking for. 3000ANV has a unique coloration that can be a very seductive sound signature. Liquid-y is probably the way to describe the overall package. That being said, the 3000ANV presentation was a bit too outlandish and too heavily colored (IMO); the TH-900 toes the line in being overly bassy, but is in the just right-ish range of porridge for me when it comes to enjoying music. The TH-900 is the headphone for me when I want to groove to songs.

th-900 is awesome, its a bass monster and just as fun as D7000.

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #4,622 of 18,761
Quote:

Agreed. Loving them right now with some old school Motorhead! 
size]

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #4,623 of 18,761

So by extension the D7000 in your opinion is as fun as the TH900? My D7000 is undergoing Lawton surgery at the moment and I hope to have a comparable headphone for less than 1/2 the cost.

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #4,624 of 18,761
Quote:
So by extension the D7000 in your opinion is as fun as the TH900? My D7000 is undergoing Lawton surgery at the moment and I hope to have a comparable headphone for less than 1/2 the cost.

The D7000s are fun headphones (owned them twice), but they come off a bit flabby and uncontrolled next to the brilliance of the TH-900s. Speed is another difference between the two.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #4,625 of 18,761
Been groovin out to Daft Punk's new album (hi res from HD Tracks). The TH900's have been delivering some seriously delicious sound. Worth a listen if you like BASS with your meal ^_-

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #4,627 of 18,761
Quote:
Been groovin out to Daft Punk's new album (hi res from HD Tracks). The TH900's have been delivering some seriously delicious sound. Worth a listen if you like BASS with your meal ^_-

I've got that one, but I'm more of a '70s rocker myself. 

Quote:
this flabby and uncontrolled aspect happens where? Throughout all ranges? or only in the extreme ranges in bass and treble?

The bass is flabby in comparison and the mids even more recessed. Imaging on the TH-900s is as good as I've heard for a closed headphone.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #4,628 of 18,761
Quote:

The 5LEs aren't that different from the 500s in my experience (I switched the latter for the former).
They are more balanced with a more linear bass (less mid-bass presence) and don't have the upper mid bump that is sometimes bothersome with the 500s. They still are closer to the 500s than any other Hifiman planars (mid-range mainly).

The 500s probably have a more refined treble, but as you said, it is very forgiving and smooth when the 5LEs are more raw and engaging. The TH-600 have the best of both worlds.

As you said, the 500s excel at vocal reproduction. The 5LEs are an even better all-rounder in my setup (NFB-27+SA-31) because they also can do hard-rock/metal, which the 500s slightly fail at.
They don't have the wow effect that the 500s give with the right music (Paul Simon, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits and any vocal songs) but they are less genre-oriented, hence a better all-rounder overall.

Note: I use the 5LEs with the Alpha Pads. I used to use the 500s with velour pads.

And herein lies the heart of the matter haha.

Alpha pads are extremely dark-sounding (Dan aka MrSpeakers measured them on HE500s vs pleathers, and the alpha pads came out significantly darker in the treble, even though pleathers are already quite dark compared to velours), while velours are the brightest-sounding of the bunch.

Basically you matched a brighter headphone with the darkest pads, and a darker headphone with the brightest pads, and only then are the two cans on some even grounds in terms of tonality (with HE5LEs still having more raw treble than HE500).

Personally I find the pleather pads too dark, and velour pads too bright, for HE500. Jergpad-modded pleathers (without inserted foam rings) are right at the sweetspot where treble does not stand out in any way relative to the midrange, yet 99% of treble detail still shines through effortlessly.

Jul 2, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #4,630 of 18,761
Quote:

+1

the 5LE where pretty good, i wouldn't say they're more linear though, maybe less colored as in less sweet and less romantic. they have more treble that is kinda buzzy or tizzy sounding, its borderline fatiguing, but i guess its just crisp and still ok. the mids where slightly recessed but good. they where more tight in the bass and didn't seem as wooly as HE-500. i liked them quite a bit, but they're quite similar sounding to HE-500. the HE-500 just smooths the treble, brings out the midrange, but loses some of the bass tightness and control, similar or same amount of impact.

This sums it all 
beerchug.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #4,633 of 18,761
Quote:
The D7000s are fun headphones (owned them twice), but they come off a bit flabby and uncontrolled next to the brilliance of the TH-900s. Speed is another difference between the two.

I had to smile to myself with this comment, I upgraded from the D2000s to the TH900s.  I previously regarded the Denons as "fun"...now I listen to them and it makes me sad.  Luckily I can listen to my TH900s instead!

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #4,634 of 18,761
​Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and too audiophile, I'd bought a TH900 headphones and would like some advice if i can for amp and source.
Currently I have HiFiman601 that is not good choice for TH900.
I see recommendations for Burson Conductor and V200 Violectric.
My General use will be classical music, near PC, so DAC+amp could be good combination for source also. 
The Burston Condactor have DAC, Preamp and amp, where the amp is the same as in Soloist.
But I see that many prefer V200 vs Soloist.
What can you advice? I whould preffer once to buy and not upgrade. Have you any better recommendations for DAC and Amp with TH900?
The proposed stuff if it's possible to be in comparison with V200 for my reference.
The HiFiman601 have line-out, could it be as source or to forget about one?

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #4,635 of 18,761
Quote:
​Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and too audiophile, I'd bought a TH900 headphones and would like some advice if i can for amp and source.
Currently I have HiFiman601 that is not good choice for TH900.
I see recommendations for Burson Conductor and V200 Violectric.
My General use will be classical music, near PC, so DAC+amp could be good combination for source also. 
The Burston Condactor have DAC, Preamp and amp, where the amp is the same as in Soloist.
But I see that many prefer V200 vs Soloist.
What can you advice? I whould preffer once to buy and not upgrade. Have you any better recommendations for DAC and Amp with TH900?
The proposed stuff if it's possible to be in comparison with V200 for my reference.
The HiFiman601 have line-out, could it be as source or to forget about one?

Woo Audio WA7

Should be set for awhile, and is a great AIO unit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back