Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 24, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #18,661 of 18,765
I just got a pair of the TH900 mk2 in original red and I am blown away! I also have a pair of Focal clear that I've been using for a couple years, for context. The soundstage is a lot larger and the imaging seems to be more three dimensional. I notice it especially with a lot of the panning and mixing; things are suspended in different areas in 3D space as opposed to perhaps more of a loosely defined "arc" on the Clears. The bass is rich, big and detailed and I'm hearing really beautiful and interesting details on instruments such as Cello or contrabass clarinet that I hadn't heard on previous headphones. There is indeed a noticeable peak in the treble but I actually don't mind it. It fits nicely within the overall sound signature. The detail is really astonishing. Even though I've only spend about 4-5 hours so far, I think they exceed the Clears in the 'resolving' or clarity/detail. They are super beautiful and more impressive in person than in photos which struck me immediately. A lot more shiny than the photos let on too. I feel completely satisfied so far and it's early, early days.

Oct 24, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #18,663 of 18,765
I just got a pair of the TH900 mk2 in original red and I am blown away! I also have a pair of Focal clear that I've been using for a couple years, for context. The soundstage is a lot larger and the imaging seems to be more three dimensional. I notice it especially with a lot of the panning and mixing; things are suspended in different areas in 3D space as opposed to perhaps more of a loosely defined "arc" on the Clears. The bass is rich, big and detailed and I'm hearing really beautiful and interesting details on instruments such as Cello or contrabass clarinet that I hadn't heard on previous headphones. There is indeed a noticeable peak in the treble but I actually don't mind it. It fits nicely within the overall sound signature. The detail is really astonishing. Even though I've only spend about 4-5 hours so far, I think they exceed the Clears in the 'resolving' or clarity/detail. They are super beautiful and more impressive in person than in photos which struck me immediately. A lot more shiny than the photos let on too. I feel completely satisfied so far and it's early, early days.

One of the reasons why I still love TH900 after nearly a decade is the expansive stage (and the impactful bass). They're more open sounding than most actual open headphones.

Oct 26, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #18,666 of 18,765
Buying selling rebuying. Is this a syndrome particular to headphones?

Oct 27, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #18,669 of 18,765
I've been using mine for about two and half years now and these have grown on me quite a bit. The bass response still makes me go "damn!!!" sometimes, as a lover of all kinds of electronics I couldn't think a better headphone for such a music. It's kind of crazy how a headphone can "naturally" produce such a thudding feeling. I was little worried about the treble tuning which many people seem to be complaining about but I don't personally see it too much of a problem if I'm just a bit careful with the volume. Mids could sometimes benefit from more body around them but for the type of music I use the headphone for (electronics, metal etc.) it's tolerable. I also dig the "3D-soundstage". :)

Perhaps I'll try TH610-pads some day and see how they sound with them compared to stock pads. I'm just afraid I would lose the yummy bass. :L3000:

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #18,670 of 18,765
Perhaps I'll try TH610-pads some day and see how they sound with them compared to stock pads. I'm just afraid I would lose the yummy bass. :L3000:
If you can't get the stock 900 pads new, the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin are the closest in sound to stock. ZMF Ori are not bad either.

Also heard good things on the Stax pads but they are quite expensive.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #18,671 of 18,765
Does anyone know a safe way to clean the earcups? I'm afraid that I'm going to damage the cups with regular cleaning wipes etc.

Oct 27, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #18,672 of 18,765
Does anyone know a safe way to clean the earcups? I'm afraid that I'm going to damage the cups with regular cleaning wipes etc.

I've been using Martin Guitar Polish with a clean microfiber cloth for my TH900. No issues as that stuff is gentle. I don't do it often though, once every 6 months at most. Otherwise I just use a slightly damp microfiber cloth.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #18,674 of 18,765
I am happy to say a 900 is back in my collection. The bass, oh the lovely bass :)

I might do the ZMF Crescent Band headband switch as the stock headband is a little worn.

1000004678.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back