Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 11, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #18,646 of 18,765
You know I love these cans or these Lawton fully moded cans. Just leave em be for a while and go back to em. Th900 is warm and offers what I’d call hybrid closed sound stage. Don’t get any fatigue, I just found adaption creates complacency so I just return to these periodically and boom, respect.

Sep 13, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #18,647 of 18,765
You know I love these cans or these Lawton fully moded cans. Just leave em be for a while and go back to em. Th900 is warm and offers what I’d call hybrid closed sound stage. Don’t get any fatigue, I just found adaption creates complacency so I just return to these periodically and boom, respect.

Big fan of the Lawton cups.

+1 if anyone was considering them...

Sep 19, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #18,649 of 18,765
I run TH610's and a ifi Zendac V 2, crazy sound. Felt like balling out, binge bits of this thread, pulled the trigger on some TH900's B stock I found Purple edition.

Im a massive bass head and was somewhat not going to go for the anniversery tuning, but the ifi zendac has a nice tasteful bass boost and i do do alot of mixing mastering stuff so the somewhat more neutral tuning honest tuning might be nice while still being able to hit my true bass button.

Cant wait to recive these :D

Sep 30, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #18,650 of 18,765
Anyone know whether the TH-900 mkII can fit people with rather large heads? For reference, both the Sony WH-1000XM3 and the AudioTechnica ATH-M20X fit nicely at ful extension without any bending of the headband.

Sep 30, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #18,651 of 18,765
Anyone know whether the TH-900 mkII can fit people with rather large heads? For reference, both the Sony WH-1000XM3 and the AudioTechnica ATH-M20X fit nicely at ful extension without any bending of the headband.
Yes

Oct 24, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #18,653 of 18,765
So if I want the hardest hitting bass TH900, stick with the red mk2 and stay away from the special colors like blue sapphire, white, and purple?

Oct 24, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #18,655 of 18,765
So if I want the hardest hitting bass TH900, stick with the red mk2 and stay away from the special colors like blue sapphire, white, and purple?
I'd say it's the brightest HP I've heard other than maybe the Beyer T70. Unless you have a very warm leaning source/amp or you are OK with the older Beyers (880,T70,etc) I'd go with the reds. My friend listened to the whites and the ATH AWKT and had ear pain the next day (granted, the AWKT is also bright but isn't on the same level and he does listen loud but he never had that issue before)

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #18,657 of 18,765
Has it been confirmed that all red MK2's are pre-Anniversary tuning? My only question would be if the red MK2's produced after the tuning change, they might have the new tuning, yes?
As far as I know Red and Green are the original tuning. The others like white, blue, onyx etc. have that Anniversary tuning which to my ears has less bass and more mids than the red and green, but kind of ruins the sound overall. You're better off getting a red and pad rolling or Lawton modding instead if you want to change the sound.

Oct 24, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #18,658 of 18,765
As far as I know Red and Green are the original tuning. The others like white, blue, onyx etc. have that Anniversary tuning which to my ears has less bass and more mids than the red and green, but kind of ruins the sound overall. You're better off getting a red and pad rolling or Lawton modding instead if you want to change the sound.
I agree. However, this does not really answer my question. Did Fostex stop making red MK2's once the Blues were released? If Fostex did not and continue to produce the red, are they still using the original tuning on them or did they change to the Anniversary? I believe they switched at that point in time but I cannot recall exactly, looking for confirmation.

My question is getting to are ALL red MK2's pre-Anniversary tuning or is there some earlier MK2's with the original bass heavy tuning and some with Anniversary tuning?

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #18,660 of 18,765
I agree. However, this does not really answer my question. Did Fostex stop making red MK2's once the Blues were released? If Fostex did not and continue to produce the red, are they still using the original tuning on them or did they change to the Anniversary? I believe they switched at that point in time but I cannot recall exactly, looking for confirmation.

My question is getting to are ALL red MK2's pre-Anniversary tuning or is there some earlier MK2's with the original bass heavy tuning and some with Anniversary tuning?
The Red models sound the same. I own a many-year-old Red MK2 and recently tried a new one in a headphone shop, sounds the same. If you're still unsure, email Fostex customer support and I'm sure they'll let you know for certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back