Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 8, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #17,237 of 18,761
Has anyone tried the TH900 with Dekoni THX00 sheepskin pads with the attenuator ring?

I tend to fall in love with pad rolls, so I won't go too deep into it, but so far, it's sounding great as long as you're not into the V-shape. Huge, huge bass, prominent (but toned down) treble, and a very healthy midrange.

It's definitely "of the TH610 pad" sound signature, but with a bigger bottom end to my ears. So, V-shaped perhaps relative to the Th610 pads, but not so compared to any TH900-style pads. I'll do some more direct comparisons once I get more familiar with the sound signature.

I think I'll keep an eye out for THX00 hybrid pads, because hybrid pads turn Fostex drivers into insane low-end cannons. The treble gets a little crispier, the low-mids hollow out, but it's like strapping grenades to your ears. In a good way.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #17,238 of 18,761
Well, just received these headphones today.

Initally, I am impressed, though granted my past experiences were with more mid end equipment (HD 650). I am very treble sensitive and I am shocked that I did not need to adjust for the treble. Bass in general is phenomenal, though the subbass is where this headphone really shines.

One minor gripe is that the mids could have been done slightly better, especially vocals, but this is V-shaped and I haven't done any messing with any equipment yet. Overall, I am extremely happy with this purchase. If wormsdriver feels any regrets selling this, I understand why haha.

Mar 8, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #17,239 of 18,761
Well, just received these headphones today.

Initally, I am impressed, though granted my past experiences were with more mid end equipment (HD 650). I am very treble sensitive and I am shocked that I did not need to adjust for the treble. Bass in general is phenomenal, though the subbass is where this headphone really shines.

One minor gripe is that the mids could have been done slightly better, especially vocals, but this is V-shaped and I haven't done any messing with any equipment yet. Overall, I am extremely happy with this purchase. If wormsdriver feels any regrets selling this, I understand why haha.

If you do some gaming - these headphones will literally make you crap your pants, lol.

Mar 8, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #17,240 of 18,761
Has anyone tried the TH900 with Dekoni THX00 sheepskin pads with the attenuator ring?

I tend to fall in love with pad rolls, so I won't go too deep into it, but so far, it's sounding great as long as you're not into the V-shape. Huge, huge bass, prominent (but toned down) treble, and a very healthy midrange.

It's definitely "of the TH610 pad" sound signature, but with a bigger bottom end to my ears. So, V-shaped perhaps relative to the Th610 pads, but not so compared to any TH900-style pads. I'll do some more direct comparisons once I get more familiar with the sound signature.

I think I'll keep an eye out for THX00 hybrid pads, because hybrid pads turn Fostex drivers into insane low-end cannons. The treble gets a little crispier, the low-mids hollow out, but it's like strapping grenades to your ears. In a good way.

I use the Dekoni Elite Hybrids with the attenuator ring. Absolutely love them. Really enhanced the already great experience with these headphones.

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #17,241 of 18,761
I use the Dekoni Elite Hybrids with the attenuator ring. Absolutely love them. Really enhanced the already great experience with these headphones.
I'm a rather blown away by the sheepskin/ring combo, so I'd love to experience that with a little more top end clarity and (somehow) more bottom end whollop.

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #17,242 of 18,761
I'm a rather blown away by the sheepskin/ring combo, so I'd love to experience that with a little more top end clarity and (somehow) more bottom end whollop.
Yeah people in this forum always wanting more more than a year later settle with where they started.

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #17,244 of 18,761
For those unfamiliar with the new ESX mod, here is some FR curves. Notice how this has been tuned for BASS heads.

STOCK Pearl White:

STOCK.png

ESX900 Pearl White:

2.png

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #17,246 of 18,761
Having used these Dekoni TH-X00 sheepskin pads with the attenuation ring for a while now, I can say they're a wonderful sounding combination. The bass hits as hard as it ever has, there's actually some palpable midrange, and dare I say the treble is bordering on perfect - crystal clear without any harshness. Like, to the point where I want to cancel my order for TH-900 and TH-909 stock pads.

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #17,247 of 18,761
Eggshell membrane is the best

Mar 17, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #17,248 of 18,761
Mar 17, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #17,249 of 18,761
Don’t know what you got till it’s gone

Mar 17, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #17,250 of 18,761

Users who are viewing this thread

Back