Fostex TH808 :: Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #31 of 53
Whoops :blush: was trying to resist but... new Fostex.

Screenshot 2024-03-18 9.01.59 PM.png

Will have comparisons to TH 909, TH 900 and TH 616 to share when I've had a chance to give it a good listen.
Do you also happen to have experience with the E-Mu Teak? That's the closest reference point I can make with my collection.

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #32 of 53
Do you also happen to have experience with the E-Mu Teak? That's the closest reference point I can make with my collection.

The closest I have is the Fostex TR-x Ebony, but looking at the frequency response, I'd say the Teak sounds more like the 616... (Mass)drop had a hand in the TRx tuning, more so than many of the Foster 1 T variants.

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #34 of 53
Happy Friday, FostexFam!

It took a day longer than expected (c'est la Fedex), but thankfully I am happily ensconced within Fostex' latest biodyna goodness :)

20240322_115259_HDR.jpg

As always with Fostex premium headphones, the wood is droolworthy, a very nice piece somehow both raw and refined at once.

20240322_115730_HDR.jpg

20240322_115814_HDR.jpg

Soundwise I am only a few hours into listening, but my initial impression is that these are the lineage between 616 and 909, probably more the later. Definitely more reminiscent of these more "reference" tuning style than the 900's V. I'll probably focus on comparing to the 909 first accordingly...

Mar 23, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #35 of 53
Happy Friday, FostexFam!

It took a day longer than expected (c'est la Fedex), but thankfully I am happily ensconced within Fostex' latest biodyna goodness :)

20240322_115259_HDR.jpg

As always with Fostex premium headphones, the wood is droolworthy, a very nice piece somehow both raw and refined at once.

20240322_115730_HDR.jpg
20240322_115814_HDR.jpg

Soundwise I am only a few hours into listening, but my initial impression is that these are the lineage between 616 and 909, probably more the later. Definitely more reminiscent of these more "reference" tuning style than the 900's V. I'll probably focus on comparing to the 909 first accordingly...
beautiful tablecloth )

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:29 PM Post #37 of 53
I think people are only just now taking delivery. Haven't been out long enough for a lot of people to have formulated opinions on them.

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #38 of 53
Happy Friday, Fostex Fam!

I’ve had a busy week since receiving my new 808s, but have managed to sneak in some serious ear time and also direct comparisons to Fostex “open” big sibling, the TH 909.

FN49ABJ826EjU7rni85slIkEhkh6LQ8F7GjYreXdIcx-SdzHlMpmd9mAfwuxi8mBoxnfJM5Zl5f_3UD2UBK1hN-t_wrvcOerDA_JAS_jaXjYz-hRUrpWVMTMaJH5nXliaPD9nnoPMeb7UyIOf6Gkp0I

First, a little context about myself… I am a big fan of Fostex and particularly their high end Biodyna headphones (although I have a growing stable of RP variants too). I collect brands that I like, and Fostex has been one of those for many years now. I found very early on that I tend to prefer their stock tuning and have generally kept them stock as much as possible, so my impressions should be considered “stock” across the board (I even opt to use Fostex own DACs and Amps whenever possible to pair).

0ToowOSwFWg_kLoiKyVMXur62X-ul315Q9w_sTifor2FDq2htP-3FVncfnz-3kf5bcvgtzr1BqYlS3PXjNKMwpKU9Ly_b6Iuwv9nsvUbl5YxBhvcilIdf7uX5L5bz35YrcE1-E1ZJBy4kMekZEnU-xc

My impressions of new Fostex headphones very much come from this perspective of wanting to understand where new additions fit in their lineup and history… fortunately the TH 909 and 900 are well received headphones that have a lot of available impressions, reviews and measurements for the curious.

Packaging and Technology

Pz0Opv8bkMSNqxCvOvEpAhJCvSF2d_A-q4ihuuwuORgnG4EW0ud2h-kLuqSV3CseVtnnc5lveUqm6vzjfwcc-9c0ZBNSldXGiulskzGIOb73dZKqwcvt8tLYETbkS9JsUYc7JA2uBg5ppNHzAHZKpSc

(Fostex TH 616, comparison notes TBC…)

The TH 909 launched back in late 2018 as an “open back” sibling to the legendary TH 900. It features the same 1.5 Tesla Biodyna driver as the 900 and now the 808 as well. This was the first non closed back biodyna from Fostex (in fact, both 900 and 909 are varying degrees of semi open, but that’s getting into semantics). Since then, in addition to the new 808, Fostex have also released the TH 616 (which shares the 1 Tesla driver of the 610 and various Foster OEM variants). Generally, these open variants are not as v shaped as the 900 or similar closed variants, focusing on a more reference tuning.

The 808 uses much of the technology initially featured in the 909: the big boy 1.5 Tesla driver as well as the dual resonant grating structure. Here is Fostex own copy on the topic:

Fostex said:
Double layer structure etching metal grills are used as housing opening, which diversify the resonance points and offers gorgeous appearance.

lOKmZSaYQz1w4p9tJMP44QnfOBmaFRTw-OPUCu2KGPAanopp-nm7_9ajla62yA93KzNs-sJEuL3Z2NnGoIP9FgHtRrSXr0YoJufRFKcTrACKVwhJhvPRBY8xVYjNH-DvgoZecFBj8DWMhaIrrhMB37c

(Image and copy credit https://www.fostexinternational.com/)

Essentially, each layer in the mesh stackup is etched to emphasis an independent frequency range, in function (but not implementation) relatively similar to the Helmholtz resonators used by Sennheiser in the 800s and beyond.
9wggH-YCDPY_GDKg5lLkAagyN5ZKUp00d_iqku4rJENnNK0wJMb4T1ijWE0y0L1lEV5eLN6FyML4uAoXYkTzbDdc2SV5VSBvj905PWDJtJkPsRGwIdXu8NJ1k7RvT_5phNi2NeK2gJi49TjBSCTSiVI

The 808 packages this tech in a more affordable, less luxury focussed packaging. The gorgeous Urushi lacquer of the 909 is replaced with a raw finish showing off the 808’s solid black Walnut cup body. The cable is apparently exclusive to the 808 and does in fact also feature Rhodium coating on the connector terminals. It seems likely from the spec listing that the copper purity is not as high as the stock 909/900 cable but in practice it’s highly similar to me (certainly more so than the 616 and the other 1 Tesla models I’ve tried). There’s also no headphone stand included, which was a nice perk for the 909/900 but is certainly not the end of the world given the savings on MSRP.

The 808 uses the same pads as the 909 (and 616), they are a little deeper and more angled than the stock 900 pads and are definitely my preferred option. Hopefully all these new models using them will make replacement more available.

pb6DO1J4NSYdQhZXNfRM0WiBcuEwZgZvei-r98WjPYv-FHujpMDRNWHELwkMlxvHBe00xU1Oi3AyamtiLUuuLSnS6jADJD2-vvj3dsF5t-pbeeHGiuiBZzFM6mK7v9bk7WVBqQWREAyOmpoZdNGINhI

Sound Off

From the moment I put the 808 on ear, I could tell that the strong similarity to the 909 went well beyond visual and implementation… so it will be the first and likely primary comparison point for my 808 impressions.

C52dkFk2xqV1qIm4GIcDpVS7P5fj0rjS0igaANQlpwTeuYDIfXTZl06vjzfLeIaAn1LyWQOnmtr0DvpekQvr5LrKXgZ0JcVXF_5IzmDCBrKPQ1eoNLi8mMkl9AFGfq_Nk8TE8PM2Pm8UB0x--EQQjxk

Soundwise, these are highly consistent with the 909 to my ears. I’d give the 909 a slight edge in sub bass level, but this may be a consequence of the fuller mid bass on the 808. Similarly, I’d guess the upper mids of the 808 are slightly more forward. This gives a natural timbre to vocals particularly, but removes some of the “sweetness” that is loved in the 900/909. Overall, the 808 ends sounding a bit warmer and fuller than the 909, perhaps at the expense of some of more evident detail and sub bass impact.

These differences are subtle and the technical performance of the 808 is the same. I would not be more surprised at all if pad rolling of either model produced more dramatic shifts in the resulting tuning than the difference in housing (and probably damping) between these models. I tried EQing the difference to clone them more closely, but found that even small EQ shifts were much more noticeable than the real differences, at least where I targeted in my initial time with them.

u6pbUtc88Yv-qQuY07_4qBNzxXAqvD8gLtXeledbNB6Qfw5lARlvn4HFWNi6cqu67G1yaaI7B-pm68hKC1-eB9GMKjMecLYtgfLjPDc-SQI965cTrMIkPuntyOUGTFm2xtlhiy3AjaG_cufXmxTjiEE

With this in mind, the 808 represents very exceptional value from Fostex, they’ve truly managed to strip out some of the luxury aspects of the TOTL models and deliver that technology at a more approachable cost. That said, those that didn’t like the sound of the 909 particularly or Fostex generally will be unlikely to be won over by the 808. As a collector and existing owner of the 909, I had hoped that the 808 might have a bolder departure in its tuning for the sake of variety, but Fostex are very cautious and meticulous.

Regardless, I appreciate firms like Fostex that look to make their technology more accessible rather than less. This trend is more competitive and consumer friendly than the predatory ever increasing TOTL prices that are so common in this hobby. It will be interesting to see in the coming months and years what other 1.5 Tesla variants are made available. Certainly a TH 800 seems likely and desirable, but I also consider if they are opening the driver up to OEMs too (a TOTL EMu for instance?)...

It's a good time to be a Fostex fan, Friends :) I hope you found my comparison ramblings useful and entertaining, I wish you all a most excellent Easter weekend!

Mar 29, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #39 of 53
Happy Friday, Fostex Fam!

I’ve had a busy week since receiving my new 808s, but have managed to sneak in some serious ear time and also direct comparisons to Fostex “open” big sibling, the TH 909.

FN49ABJ826EjU7rni85slIkEhkh6LQ8F7GjYreXdIcx-SdzHlMpmd9mAfwuxi8mBoxnfJM5Zl5f_3UD2UBK1hN-t_wrvcOerDA_JAS_jaXjYz-hRUrpWVMTMaJH5nXliaPD9nnoPMeb7UyIOf6Gkp0I

First, a little context about myself… I am a big fan of Fostex and particularly their high end Biodyna headphones (although I have a growing stable of RP variants too). I collect brands that I like, and Fostex has been one of those for many years now. I found very early on that I tend to prefer their stock tuning and have generally kept them stock as much as possible, so my impressions should be considered “stock” across the board (I even opt to use Fostex own DACs and Amps whenever possible to pair).

0ToowOSwFWg_kLoiKyVMXur62X-ul315Q9w_sTifor2FDq2htP-3FVncfnz-3kf5bcvgtzr1BqYlS3PXjNKMwpKU9Ly_b6Iuwv9nsvUbl5YxBhvcilIdf7uX5L5bz35YrcE1-E1ZJBy4kMekZEnU-xc

My impressions of new Fostex headphones very much come from this perspective of wanting to understand where new additions fit in their lineup and history… fortunately the TH 909 and 900 are well received headphones that have a lot of available impressions, reviews and measurements for the curious.

Packaging and Technology

Pz0Opv8bkMSNqxCvOvEpAhJCvSF2d_A-q4ihuuwuORgnG4EW0ud2h-kLuqSV3CseVtnnc5lveUqm6vzjfwcc-9c0ZBNSldXGiulskzGIOb73dZKqwcvt8tLYETbkS9JsUYc7JA2uBg5ppNHzAHZKpSc

(Fostex TH 616, comparison notes TBC…)

The TH 909 launched back in late 2018 as an “open back” sibling to the legendary TH 900. It features the same 1.5 Tesla Biodyna driver as the 900 and now the 808 as well. This was the first non closed back biodyna from Fostex (in fact, both 900 and 909 are varying degrees of semi open, but that’s getting into semantics). Since then, in addition to the new 808, Fostex have also released the TH 616 (which shares the 1 Tesla driver of the 610 and various Foster OEM variants). Generally, these open variants are not as v shaped as the 900 or similar closed variants, focusing on a more reference tuning.

The 808 uses much of the technology initially featured in the 909: the big boy 1.5 Tesla driver as well as the dual resonant grating structure. Here is Fostex own copy on the topic:

lOKmZSaYQz1w4p9tJMP44QnfOBmaFRTw-OPUCu2KGPAanopp-nm7_9ajla62yA93KzNs-sJEuL3Z2NnGoIP9FgHtRrSXr0YoJufRFKcTrACKVwhJhvPRBY8xVYjNH-DvgoZecFBj8DWMhaIrrhMB37c

(Image and copy credit https://www.fostexinternational.com/)

Essentially, each layer in the mesh stackup is etched to emphasis an independent frequency range, in function (but not implementation) relatively similar to the Helmholtz resonators used by Sennheiser in the 800s and beyond.
9wggH-YCDPY_GDKg5lLkAagyN5ZKUp00d_iqku4rJENnNK0wJMb4T1ijWE0y0L1lEV5eLN6FyML4uAoXYkTzbDdc2SV5VSBvj905PWDJtJkPsRGwIdXu8NJ1k7RvT_5phNi2NeK2gJi49TjBSCTSiVI

The 808 packages this tech in a more affordable, less luxury focussed packaging. The gorgeous Urushi lacquer of the 909 is replaced with a raw finish showing off the 808’s solid black Walnut cup body. The cable is apparently exclusive to the 808 and does in fact also feature Rhodium coating on the connector terminals. It seems likely from the spec listing that the copper purity is not as high as the stock 909/900 cable but in practice it’s highly similar to me (certainly more so than the 616 and the other 1 Tesla models I’ve tried). There’s also no headphone stand included, which was a nice perk for the 909/900 but is certainly not the end of the world given the savings on MSRP.

The 808 uses the same pads as the 909 (and 616), they are a little deeper and more angled than the stock 900 pads and are definitely my preferred option. Hopefully all these new models using them will make replacement more available.

pb6DO1J4NSYdQhZXNfRM0WiBcuEwZgZvei-r98WjPYv-FHujpMDRNWHELwkMlxvHBe00xU1Oi3AyamtiLUuuLSnS6jADJD2-vvj3dsF5t-pbeeHGiuiBZzFM6mK7v9bk7WVBqQWREAyOmpoZdNGINhI

Sound Off

From the moment I put the 808 on ear, I could tell that the strong similarity to the 909 went well beyond visual and implementation… so it will be the first and likely primary comparison point for my 808 impressions.

C52dkFk2xqV1qIm4GIcDpVS7P5fj0rjS0igaANQlpwTeuYDIfXTZl06vjzfLeIaAn1LyWQOnmtr0DvpekQvr5LrKXgZ0JcVXF_5IzmDCBrKPQ1eoNLi8mMkl9AFGfq_Nk8TE8PM2Pm8UB0x--EQQjxk

Soundwise, these are highly consistent with the 909 to my ears. I’d give the 909 a slight edge in sub bass level, but this may be a consequence of the fuller mid bass on the 808. Similarly, I’d guess the upper mids of the 808 are slightly more forward. This gives a natural timbre to vocals particularly, but removes some of the “sweetness” that is loved in the 900/909. Overall, the 808 ends sounding a bit warmer and fuller than the 909, perhaps at the expense of some of more evident detail and sub bass impact.

These differences are subtle and the technical performance of the 808 is the same. I would not be more surprised at all if pad rolling of either model produced more dramatic shifts in the resulting tuning than the difference in housing (and probably damping) between these models. I tried EQing the difference to clone them more closely, but found that even small EQ shifts were much more noticeable than the real differences, at least where I targeted in my initial time with them.

u6pbUtc88Yv-qQuY07_4qBNzxXAqvD8gLtXeledbNB6Qfw5lARlvn4HFWNi6cqu67G1yaaI7B-pm68hKC1-eB9GMKjMecLYtgfLjPDc-SQI965cTrMIkPuntyOUGTFm2xtlhiy3AjaG_cufXmxTjiEE

With this in mind, the 808 represents very exceptional value from Fostex, they’ve truly managed to strip out some of the luxury aspects of the TOTL models and deliver that technology at a more approachable cost. That said, those that didn’t like the sound of the 909 particularly or Fostex generally will be unlikely to be won over by the 808. As a collector and existing owner of the 909, I had hoped that the 808 might have a bolder departure in its tuning for the sake of variety, but Fostex are very cautious and meticulous.

Regardless, I appreciate firms like Fostex that look to make their technology more accessible rather than less. This trend is more competitive and consumer friendly than the predatory ever increasing TOTL prices that are so common in this hobby. It will be interesting to see in the coming months and years what other 1.5 Tesla variants are made available. Certainly a TH 800 seems likely and desirable, but I also consider if they are opening the driver up to OEMs too (a TOTL EMu for instance?)...

It's a good time to be a Fostex fan, Friends :) I hope you found my comparison ramblings useful and entertaining, I wish you all a most excellent Easter weekend!
Heyyyy thank you for being the first review of TH808.

Since it's so new it's been really hard to find any information.

I've been a Fostex fan too! Though truthfully speaking I didn't keep every models I bought. :laughing:

But I did tried a lot of their models. I'd say I probably owned 75% of the Denon/Fostex variants at some point.

I started from Denon AH-D2000 and many many models later now my daily driver is Lawton TH900.

Been wanting to try TH909 then TH808 came out. Based from what you said I think the focus was more making it more accessible rather than making a new sound. Would you say in this case just buy whichever I can find cheaper?

For example if I come across a used TH909 that is cheaper than the new TH808, would you say it's close enough that I should just go for it? Or is it more like HD600 vs HD650 kind of difference?

Also coming from Lawton TH900, would I find the bass lacking (relatively) on the TH808 or TH909?

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to ask, from what I read that TH909 is not truely open, is TH808 the same? My wife would prefer I don't go fully open so I figure I'd check this first. :joy:

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #40 of 53
Heyyyy thank you for being the first review of TH808.

Since it's so new it's been really hard to find any information.

I've been a Fostex fan too! Though truthfully speaking I didn't keep every models I bought. :laughing:

But I did tried a lot of their models. I'd say I probably owned 75% of the Denon/Fostex variants at some point.

I started from Denon AH-D2000 and many many models later now my daily driver is Lawton TH900.

Been wanting to try TH909 then TH808 came out. Based from what you said I think the focus was more making it more accessible rather than making a new sound. Would you say in this case just buy whichever I can find cheaper?

For example if I come across a used TH909 that is cheaper than the new TH808, would you say it's close enough that I should just go for it? Or is it more like HD600 vs HD650 kind of difference?

Also coming from Lawton TH900, would I find the bass lacking (relatively) on the TH808 or TH909?

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to ask, from what I read that TH909 is not truely open, is TH808 the same? My wife would prefer I don't go fully open so I figure I'd check this first. :joy:

It's very much my pleasure to indulge in compulsive Fostexing and share my experiences here - I am glad the ramblings are helpful! I also started my relationship with Foster's Biodynas back with the D2000... makes me nostalgic to think of it :)

You have me second guessing myself a bit with the comparison to the 600/650. There are some slight differences in the resulting tuning (as a Lawton modee, I trust you can appreciate the importance of cups!). In this hobby, even the slightest difference can inspire some strong opinions on both sides. That said, speaking as somebody who far prefers the HD 600 over the 650 (aka someone who is correct!), I don't think that will be the case here, but you never know.

For you particularly, the slightly warmer, more mid forward tweaks of the 808 might be more complimentary to your 900, so in that sense it would be worth considering the 808 at comparable cost. But yeah, especially if you're comfortable modding or tweaking them a bit and aren't overly invested in either aesthetic, just go for whichever you can get cheaper.

Regarding bass, none of the "open" variants (616, 808, 909) have the same level of bass as the standard 900 tuning. It's certainly not deficient, but it isn't going to deliver you to another level of bass compared to your Lawtons.

Yes, you are quite correct in understanding that the 909/808/616 are in fact semi open (just as the 900 is in fact only semi closed). They leak a bit more than the closed Fostex TH, but not a ton. Certainly not as leaky as full opens like the Senn 600 or even Semi Open Beyers:

1711771843264.png

(https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...:fostex-th909-headphones&catid=263&Itemid=203)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #42 of 53
has anyone else listened to the th808 ? How can the 808s be the same technical level as the th909 when it's a $700 price difference 1999 vs 1299? It's not no $700 cheaper to have wood cups
They actually explicitly state on their website that they are using the drivers from the TH900 series in the TH808 and they also both use the 1.5 Tesla driver. I have also heard both so I can confirm it really is just a retuned driver in a cheaper package.

Apr 20, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #43 of 53
@Bret Halford Does the 808 have a mid bass bump like the 616 does? The mid bass on 616 is too prominent for my tastes. It stands out above everything else.

Do the 616 and 808 use the same hinge parts that are on the 610?

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #44 of 53
has anyone else listened to the th808 ? How can the 808s be the same technical level as the th909 when it's a $700 price difference 1999 vs 1299? It's not no $700 cheaper to have wood cups
They actually explicitly state on their website that they are using the drivers from the TH900 series in the TH808 and they also both use the 1.5 Tesla driver. I have also heard both so I can confirm it really is just a retuned driver in a cheaper package.

I believe this is correct, I think it's really just cheaper wood enclosure + cheaper cable (they ditched the 7N purity copper wire + rhodium plating for plug from TH909/TH900).

My guess is they used the same cable as TH610/TH-X00 which is not the same as TH909/TH900 wire.

You might ask, does that make up for the difference of $700? I can imagine.

Fostex stock cable is like $300-400 just for cable. Then have you seen how labor intensive their wood cup is?

I can imagine ditching all this and save a lot of money LOL.

Apr 20, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #45 of 53
I looked at the Ryan Ho youtube video that you shared but I did not found much informations, feels like a promotion and a LOT of sponsored links.

Never had the opportunity to listen to a Fostex and this generation seems to be the opportunity.

Not sure about going 808 directly or if 616 is enough as an introduction.

I'll wait for some reviews.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back