Fostex TH808 :: Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #16 of 53
I've never heard the anniversary tuning, I read it improved the mids to make it less v shaped is that right?

Do you find it make it less "fun" sounding?

Genuinely curious because I thought the general reception of anniversary tuning seems to be good no?
I've only heard the th900mk2 White Anniversary so I can't compare to original tuning th900mk2 but they did not leave a good impression on me. I felt the bass was lacking without significant EQ and I couldn't help but feel that they were pointless outside of a collector's item because IMO a D9200 or ZMF Eikon were better sounding, better built (looking at those hinges), and less expensive. While an EMU-Teak is IMO a better bass cannon straight out of the box than Anniversary Tuning with the same build (re: hinges and headband) but significantly cheaper. I haven't heard 909s but I've always been interested in them with their current tuning and I would absolutely demo and/or buy a cheaper version of a 909 with current tuning. Changing the tuning to in theory be better across multiple genres which is what I'm assuming was the goal with Anniversary Tuning th900mk2... not so much. But this is all about the th900mk2 when we should be focusing on th909 until the th808s are out!

Feb 15, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #17 of 53
I've never heard the anniversary tuning, I read it improved the mids to make it less v shaped is that right?

Do you find it make it less "fun" sounding?

Genuinely curious because I thought the general reception of anniversary tuning seems to be good no?

The AE has less of a dip at 500 Hz and also less bass boost vs. the default 900. I think the fact it has less bass turns off many people but I like 'em both.

As someone who has a 616 and 909 already, I selfishly hope the 808's tuning is brand new, but I'd also be very impressed with Fostex if they're simply able to deliver a lower cost 909 tier sound, without the fancy Urushi and stand adding to cost. The 909 is a criminally overlooked TOTL.

Feb 16, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #19 of 53
I was looking at the Japanese TH808 page and comparing to the TH909 page.

https://www.fostex.jp/products/th808/
https://www.fostex.jp/products/th909/

It sounds like they also use a different cable, maybe not 7N purity copper like TH909. Maybe a cheaper cable like the ones in TH-X00 or TH610.

So I guess they save cost by not having the Urushi lacquer and also not having the same cable.

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #20 of 53
Big fan of the TH909 only headphone where I repurchased another one after selling and missing it. I've also had the Pearl White which I liked too with the AE tuning but that tuning though nice is not as special to me as the 909s. Sure the Fostex headband is not the best in the world but it is not a deal breaker for me.

I am very curious about the 808 and will try one when available in US without having to order from eBay or outside of the country.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #22 of 53
Noticed Audio46 and B&H have these for preorder now at $1299.99 for US folks. I think the below is already known but I didn't see it within this thread so pasting:

• Type: Open-back Dynamic
  • Driver: Φ50mm Neodymium Magnet / BIODYNA Diaphragm
  • Impedance: 25 ohm
  • Sensitivity: 96dB/mW
  • Max Input: 1,800mW Freq. response: 5 – 45,000 Hz
  • Weight: Approx. 370g (excluding cable)
  • Cable: 3m Y-type 2-pin (detachable connector rhodium plated)
  • Detachable terminal: 2-pin (rhodium-plated on the gold-plated base)
  • Plug: Φ ¼” / 6.3mm gold-plated stereo standard plug

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #24 of 53
Just got them . . Love them ! 🎧

Attachments

• IMG_6009.jpeg
    IMG_6009.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 16, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #26 of 53
Sure . I'm not an expert or a reviewer so just my humble thought's after few hours with them. I come from hifiman , also have the he1000se and while I can say that HEKSE is better headphones I find it more joyful with the warm laid back(in a good way) fostex. While HEKSE can be sometimes fatigue on the highs the fostex are smooth .
Yes HEKSE has more details and soundstage but also the 808 have a very nice soundstage, great bass and mids and I really like their warmish sound . I can listen hours to them and have a lot of fun while with HEKSE I need a break after a half hour . Overall I really like them and if I had to pick them or HEKSE for my ears .. fostex .
Btw, very easy to drive them .

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #28 of 53
Unfortunately I never tried the 909 .. actually the 808 is the first fostex I ever tried (and purchased)
I would say as comparison to HEKSE yes treble is more tamed on fostex which for me is more real if you know what I mean .
For my ears treble is exactly what I was looking for . Ofc it depends on everyone personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back