Fostex TH808 :: Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #46 of 53
Never had the opportunity to listen to a Fostex and this generation seems to be the opportunity.

Not sure about going 808 directly or if 616 is enough as an introduction.

I'll be honest, if you've never heard any Fostex I wonder if you should start with their more closed ish variants.

I think TH-X00 lineup is probably a bit more representative of their sound. Personally I like either Mahogany or Purpleheart better, but Ebony has a big following.

But I haven't heard any of the more open variants (TH616, TH808 and TH909) so I could be wrong too.

Let us know how it goes!

Apr 20, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #48 of 53
Hot new website for the new premium open models:

https://www.fostex.jp/th-open/index.html

1713668398842.png

@Bret Halford Does the 808 have a mid bass bump like the 616 does? The mid bass on 616 is too prominent for my tastes. It stands out above everything else.

Do the 616 and 808 use the same hinge parts that are on the 610?

The 808 has slightly more prominent mid bass than the 909, but not to the extent the 616 does. The 909 has lighter cups compared to the 808 - this results in a bit more bone conduction in the later from the extra heft, which in my experience is most expressed in the upper bass / lower mids. In the 808's case, this is largely counterbalanced by the 1.5 Tesla driver's impressive sub bass output and precise highs, whereas the 1 Tesla variant in the 616 begins to give out a bit at the extremes in comparison.

They all use the same hinge part unfortunately, although for what it's worth I have not had any problems on my 6 units (2 being quite new obviously) over the past ~5 years.

I believe this is correct, I think it's really just cheaper wood enclosure + cheaper cable (they ditched the 7N purity copper wire + rhodium plating for plug from TH909/TH900).

My guess is they used the same cable as TH610/TH-X00 which is not the same as TH909/TH900 wire.

You might ask, does that make up for the difference of $700? I can imagine.

Fostex stock cable is like $300-400 just for cable. Then have you seen how labor intensive their wood cup is?

I can imagine ditching all this and save a lot of money LOL.

In fact the 808 has rhodium plated connectors and possibly 7N purity copper, it was just poor translation from the early copy out of Japan. It's quite clear in the included manual as well as the 808's website:

Fostex said:
cable3mY type OFC wire (removable connector terminal: 2 pins, rhodium plating specification, C1011/JIS standard product)

Which is also what the manual states. The Fostex International product page (but not the jp sites or manual) also states it is 7N purity copper, whereas the more direct sources simply state OFC for the 808.

Visually, it's identical to the stock unbalanced cable included with the 909 and 900, I certainly can't hear any difference.

That said, in addition to being EXTREMELY pretty, the cherry cups are also much lighter as noted which adds to the immense sense of luxury the Urushi shells imbue and also helps keep things focused to apex levels (see above discussion on bone conduction).

The other difference to note is that the 909 and the 900 come with a wooden Fostex headphone stand which further drives up the cost I'm sure (box is much bigger as a result too!).

I looked at the Ryan Ho youtube video that you shared but I did not found much informations, feels like a promotion and a LOT of sponsored links.

Never had the opportunity to listen to a Fostex and this generation seems to be the opportunity.

Not sure about going 808 directly or if 616 is enough as an introduction.

I'll wait for some reviews.
808 is the sweet spot for price/performance from the current models, but I'd echo what @Hyde00 said and suggest starting with some of the classic closed backs. I'd think a used 900 should be doable for similar or less price than an 808 and the 900 Red is absolute Fostex.

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #49 of 53
Got the chance to try it out on Shanghai Expo roughly a month ago, imo the signature is roughly the same as TH909, the treble is not piercing, and there isn't much noticeable sibilance, shall I say not 'Fostex'? lol
12346697.jpg

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #50 of 53
Got the chance to try it out on Shanghai Expo roughly a month ago, imo the signature is roughly the same as TH909, the treble is not piercing, and there isn't much noticeable sibilance, shall I say not 'Fostex'? lol
12346697.jpg

Now this give me slight concern, I've read a few review says this is probably closer to reference sound. As in similar to recording studio headphones.

So if coming in expecting a "Fostex sound" would I be disappointed?

May 1, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #51 of 53
Question! There is a second hand TH909 roughly the same price as the new TH808.

Assuming cost is very close, should I pick up the used TH909 or new TH808?

Sounds like sound signature is very close but there is still a difference right?

May 2, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #52 of 53
Now this give me slight concern, I've read a few review says this is probably closer to reference sound. As in similar to recording studio headphones.

So if coming in expecting a "Fostex sound" would I be disappointed?

when I heard th610, it was more like a surprise that it was more balanced than the V shape, to the point where you're like ok... "this is balanced" relative to the typical Denon/Fostex sound. Not so much that it completely deviates from it's Fostex biodyna'ness

Studio headphones in general are tuned for certain purposes moreso than pure musical enjoyment in my experience.

Also, the 808 to me looks the best

1714673180333.jpeg

the walnut and black seem more sophisticated than the th-909. And if it is more balanced than V shaped, you would think amp pairings would be less of a nightmare like on other Denon/fostex

May 2, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #53 of 53
And if it is more balanced than V shaped, you would think amp pairings would be less of a nightmare like on other Denon/fostex

Ah yes the nightmare of amp / dac pairing with TH900 LOL.

In that sense then yes hopefully TH808/TH909 will have an easier time pairing with more different sources. :smiley::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back