Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #1,411 of 3,438
^^thank you, we have a lot of the same preferences. I'll be going through the ones I don't recognize tomorrow :)

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #1,412 of 3,438
Hi guys.
Thought I'd post a few random albums/artists I've been listening to and loving on these headphones. Posted them in another thread but its more about how amazing they are on the TH600 :) They are making me seek out and explore lots of new stuff (and high quality FLACs and such more), and often genres I didn't use to as much.. vocals sound amazing too. I've never enjoyed music so much and have been even occasionally just sitting and listening with my eyes closed a bit - something I should do more often methinks.

Atoms For Peace - Amok (Thom Yorke + electronica, nuff said - check out the recent music video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWrUEsVrdSU)
Yeasayer
Arctic Monkeys - AM
Memotone (William Yates)
Hiatus Kaiyote (awesome soul/funk band, they're on the GTA5 soundtrack)
Mala
Chillstep like Phaeleh, Synthetic Epiphany
Trentemoller's new album 'Lost'
Leatherette (Ninja Tune label same as Four Tet, full of gems)
Emika (as above)
Gaslamp Killer, Flying Lotus etc

If you're into experimental electronica (IDM, Glitch etc) I highly recommend checking out Enig'matik Records. Based here in Australia
http://enigmatiksounds.bandcamp.com/

Mr Bill is a genius too - https://soundcloud.com/mrbillstunes

I have really enjoyed this album with the 900's. Superb. I will have to check out some of your others. Thanks for sharing!

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #1,413 of 3,438
  Hello everyone.I bought my th600 for almost a month.
The treble is still too aggressive to my ears.
I try to change the amp from Musical Fidelity M1hpa to Violectric V200.But the treble peaks problem still exists.
  One day, I get my old denon D2000 to compare with my th600,using same amp and playing same songs (usually pop).I find that th600 has large sound stage and more airy, but the treble is too over emphasized. At that moment,I wonder if I change the earpads from d2000 to th600.After the change, I am shocked by the result.
The th600 now with thin pads sounds like another headphone, the treble problem disappeared at the expense of sound stage.On the other hands,the d2000 now with thick ear pads as if it became a 90% of a th600.It is hard to believe that the ear pads play a such important role in sound characters.
  Do our head size affect the headphone performance?
I guess that people with larger head will hear less treble peaks because the ear pads are more compressed, and that people with smaller head will be more sensitive to the trebles because the ear pads are less compressed.

Nov 13, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #1,414 of 3,438
It can also come down to ear placement sometimes as well. I tend to always check that my eardrums are always dead center to many of the earcups I have. I hear a slight difference with most of my cans.

The 600 does have a elevated treble, but yeah ear pads can make dramatic changes. Look at some of the pad mods with Hifimans. Also sometimes it can be ear size, glasses wearing or head shape/hair amount that can affect sound. My dad struggles to get a seal with some larger headphones, mainly at the back of the cup. Thus he suffers in the bass department, this is because he is bald and has a small hat size/strange head shape.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #1,415 of 3,438
I thought the treble was a bit elevated at first, but I think it's perfect now that I've gotten used to it. I do have a larger head though :/

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #1,416 of 3,438
i agree TH600 sound aggressive at the start but after 2-3 weeks you will find it tamed, musical and holding a lot of fun.

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #1,417 of 3,438
How deep are the pads on the TH600 in comparison to something like the X1 or a K70x?

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #1,418 of 3,438
How deep are the pads on the TH600 in comparison to something like the X1 or a K70x?

They're slightly more shallow than the X1, maybe a quarter of an inch. The top of my ear can touch the foam inside the cup on the 600, but not on the X1.

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #1,419 of 3,438
Ok, so I've order a pair of the TH600's and I've got an Modi and Magni coming I know it is very modest amp and dac but I will maybe upgrade in the future if need be. My current best is the V Moda M100. I chose the TH600's based on my music taste (posted in another thread) and the recommendation as well as many reviews. Kind of buying blindly here but I'm sure I won't be disappointed. Should be here at the start of next week.

Nov 15, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #1,420 of 3,438
  Ok, so I've order a pair of the TH600's and I've got an Modi and Magni coming I know it is very modest amp and dac but I will maybe upgrade in the future if need be. My current best is the V Moda M100. I chose the TH600's based on my music taste (posted in another thread) and the recommendation as well as many reviews. Kind of buying blindly here but I'm sure I won't be disappointed. Should be here at the start of next week.

I think you may have read one of my recommendation posts of th600 in another thread?
You won't be disappointed man. They are a-ma-zing.

Funnily enough, my V-Moda M-100s just arrived today! At first I A/B compared them to TH600 on some electronica like The Knife, and omg thee M100 sounded like they had pillows over the drivers in comparison. But it is not a fair comparison. The TH600 sound open and airy and are SO comfy. Very detailed, the bass is high quality very detailed too, you can listen to them infinitely and not be fatigued. So they are just perfect for my preferences and for EDM.

With the M100s, I've been listening to them for a few hours straight now and I'm growing to like them more, they are definitely fun. Mainly listening to Phaeleh and other chillstep, and Four Tet, I must say the bass is addictive. Very deep, powerful and not muddy. The mids and highs take a back seat but the soundstage is wider than I expected (but still nowhere near as good as TH600).
I'm happy with my choice as a portable pair. Running them from my PC and D1 + M-Stage at the moment and they sound good, but from my Fiio X3 the bass wasn't as tight, it sounded a bit muddy and too much of it - I had to drop it down -5 and then the whole sound was about right. Which is funny, because I usually boost my DT1350 +5 on the X3 (it isn't a very bassy DAP). First time I've ever had to Eq bass DOWN lol, its usually the other way slightly.

The TH600 don't need EQing they are just bliss. I saw a couple of posts earlier about brightness... I don't think they are at all, they just have a lot of clarity but not tiring or sibilant. They have more extension than a lot of other cans though so people coming from muddy or relaxed cans may think its bright, but I actually found my HE400 brighter (from memory), and most people simply describe that as 'sparkle'. They did improve with burn in though, after 100hrs+ they really open up and the dynamics just seem to get better. So give them time and they will get even better :)

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #1,421 of 3,438
+1 on the Knife, was listening to Silent Shout earlier today on my TH900.

Quote:

The TH600 don't need EQing they are just bliss. I saw a couple of posts earlier about brightness... I don't think they are at all, they just have a lot of clarity but not tiring or sibilant. They have more extension than a lot of other cans though so people coming from muddy or relaxed cans may think its bright, but I actually found my HE400 brighter (from memory), and most people simply describe that as 'sparkle'. They did improve with burn in though, after 100hrs+ they really open up and the dynamics just seem to get better. So give them time and they will get even better :)

The treble is definitely slightly forward and can have a "brittleness" when concerning rock music cymbal work, but most if not all brighter/extended treble has this issue with those kind of aggressive cymbals. Electronic didn't seem at the time to be as troublesome if at all.

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #1,422 of 3,438

The treble is definitely slightly forward and can have a "brittleness" when concerning rock music cymbal work, but most if not all brighter/extended treble has this issue with those kind of aggressive cymbals. Electronic didn't seem at the time to be as troublesome if at all.

I think it depends what you're used to but maybe if you listen to mainly rock and notice these cymbal and instrument subtleties between your other headphones. It could also depend what amp you are using too. I find my Mstage pretty neutral perhaps a touch bassy but certainly doesn't seem to brighten anything up and nice wide stage. I'd imagine tubes would work great with these HPs and many people have highly praised the WA7+TH600 combo probably for this reason (tame/relax highs and add warmth overall).

I was listening to RATM and Tool the other night and other stuff like Modest Mouse and it all sounded amazing, nothing seemed to harsh and I was also able to crank it fairly loud (probably dangerously so) and didn't feel bright to me. I dislike bright headphones too, I used to have some Pro900s and my god the treble was horrible. I used to have some T70s and they were too bright for me. I've never liked Grados or many Senns either.

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #1,423 of 3,438
At the very least, It may be already bright recordings just being rendered badly. I'm agreeing very much with you that it can be the mastering or what you are used to otherwise. The T1, HD800 and other headphones with well extended treble render them sibilant and all that. Not saying that this is as bright as those two others though, just that some people may find the treble to be slightly revealing.

I'd say that Rage Against the Machine and Tool tend to be well recorded, whereas I mean something like Carcass, Kreator and other more aggressive styles can be rendered with relentless cymbalwork which can be desirable for the energy of the style but quickly is tiring. Mainstream/poorly mastered Rock can also be overly bright and fatiguing. A fault with the recordings that is shown up by the more clear treble, not a slight on the headphone though.

I find that when I upgraded to the from this to the TH900 that the treble was slightly smoother. As far as amps and dacs go, I've tried a few SS and never heard much difference at all personally (as long as there was enough power and a low output impediance). Some believe they do sound different, all strength to them. Tubes subjectively I have though.

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #1,424 of 3,438
Yeah good points especially re; mastering.

I'd agree with amps too, I'm sure there are some subtle differences but I'd imagine the differences with tubes to be more noticable.

Hey cool you're in Melbourne too :)
Ever have any audiophile headphone show'n'tells? :p

I get a lot of stuff from Addictedtoaudio its good to have shops like that here but I still haven't been in there. I've been meaning to go in there and audition some stuff.

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #1,425 of 3,438
I buy a lot from Addicted but also from Headphonic in perth. I try to regularly audition headphones regardless of price down at A2A. I also have been to Noisy Motel in Prahan and Jaben in the city, but I prefer A2A due to have a larger range.

Show and tells? You mean meets or showing friends my equipment? I've not been to a meet yet. I've shown many people from work and friends my rig.

If you get down to Addicted to Audio you'll be amazed. As soon as you walk in the door you are next to a room with literally hundreds and hundreds of audio products displayed ready to be tested. Call them up and ask to hear something, I've never been pressured to buy a headphone from them. They are cool cats down there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back