Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Aug 2, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #2,821 of 3,438

To get the left earpad off my Fostex TH600, I used to have to pull the earpad itself off first (you can slide it off the plastic mount), then used a thin microfiber cloth and small flathead screwdriver to apply pressure to one of the white nubs. I can usually get it off by hand now, but it's still a pain in the butt. Lawton actually notes how to do it on his website right here.

Please let me know if you hear any sonic differences as I've been considering getting those earcups as well.

I got in the TH-900 cups yesterday from Lawton and put them on today. Fairly straightforward after figuring out how to remove the earpads. Took about 25 mins total. Some photos:

TH-600 before the earcup swap

Innards of the TH-600 and TH-900 earcups compared. The stuffing material they used looked identical.

TH-600 lookin' pretty after the swap

I came in thinking that these earcups would make my headphones look killer (thumbs up here!) and any improvement would be a bonus. Though I did have a slight worry that these could actually make them sound worse. This is a tricky one for me to judge, since I unfortunately don't have a second TH-600 headphone to compare with. I listened to a couple songs before the mod and half an hour later, I  listened it to the same songs.

First thing I noticed was the bass had virtually the same great rumble and extension as I remembered. Nothing out of the ordinary for the TH-600. Then the female vocal hit and I felt that the highs were a little more rolled off than i remembered. These headphones, as with other Fostex made phones I've tried so far (namely the Aurvana Live & D2000) were all sibilant monsters to some degree. It is the biggest turn off for most detractors of these phones. The TH600 in particular had it partially tamed it, which i think was its best and most noticeable improvement. These earcups seem to tame it just slightly farther. It also felt like the upper mids are a little more present, maybe as a result. Overall, it just felt like the upper ranges were more smoothly blended together and the shrillness/sparkliness was toned down a shade.

The only reason I could think of is that maybe the wood material that is used in these cups are not as reflective as the stock magnesium ones. In the past, ive considered dynamatting my D2000 to tighten up the bass. I soon decided that it wasn't a good idea since many people reported that the mod increased the sibilance (the last thing i would want). This was presumably because of the foil used in dynamat that could reflect back the higher frequencies. I'm guessing something similar is at play here with the magnesium cups vs the wooden ones. I suspect the actual Lawton cups would provide an even bigger change/improvement as they seem thicker and have bigger cavities.

The big question though is if these are worth it. I would say yeah, if you love the look of them AND you're okay with what amounts to about 1-2% improvement in sound for $150 bucks. I'm almost sure they'll change the sound more than a recable job can, which btw I had paid someone $100 to do for my D2000 w/ no noticeable change in sound. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #2,825 of 3,438
Hey guys,
The stock earpads on my TH-600 was bad quality and quickly worn out (it beginning to wear noticeably after 3-4 months and after 1 year it looks like... just look on the photo).

So I'm looking for a replacement pads... but I don't like any genuine leather alternatives for some reasons (including the price).
Has anybody tried the angled earpads from Brainwavz? I'm not sure how they will stretch on TH-600, but the angled shape seems to be must have for me.
Also I'm not sure about velour vs pleather choice... I'm a little tired of too much bass with TH-600, maybe I should try the velour pads?
Links:
velour - http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-angled-memory-foam-earpad-black-velour-suitable-for-large-over-the-ear-headphones
pleather - http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-angled-memory-foam-earpad-black-suitable-for-large-over-the-ear-headphones
Regards!

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #2,826 of 3,438
Hey guys,
The stock earpads on my TH-600 was bad quality and quickly worn out (it beginning to wear noticeably after 3-4 months and after 1 year it looks like... just look on the photo).

So I'm looking for a replacement pads... but I don't like any genuine leather alternatives for some reasons (including the price).
Has anybody tried the angled earpads from Brainwavz? I'm not sure how they will stretch on TH-600, but the angled shape seems to be must have for me.
Also I'm not sure about velour vs pleather choice... I'm a little tired of too much bass with TH-600, maybe I should try the velour pads?
Links:
velour - http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-angled-memory-foam-earpad-black-velour-suitable-for-large-over-the-ear-headphones
pleather - http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-angled-memory-foam-earpad-black-suitable-for-large-over-the-ear-headphones
Regards!

The Brainwavz earpads fit the Fostex TH600 well. It's a bit of a stretch the first couple times but is no problem. Note that the angled pads don't have as wide an opening as the standard, which ends up meaning you lose a few mm of inner height on the pad when stretched (not an issue for most, but an issue for me and my tall ears). The velour, as you suspect, will reduce the bass quite a bit.

Aug 9, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #2,827 of 3,438
Since you dont' want a leather/lamb rec, you could also give the Audeze vegan pads a try.  The ear pad size will be a bit larger than the stockers but should work fine and be comfy. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #2,828 of 3,438
  Since you dont' want a leather/lamb rec, you could also give the Audeze vegan pads a try.  The ear pad size will be a bit larger than the stockers but should work fine and be comfy. 

Any idea of the measurements on the Audeze pads? I'm still waiting on Lawton pads but I'm pretty much always up for finding the best pads for my stupid ears. :p

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #2,829 of 3,438

Any idea of the measurements on the Audeze pads? I'm still waiting on Lawton pads but I'm pretty much always up for finding the best pads for my stupid ears. :p

Prepare yourself for a shift to treble...

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #2,830 of 3,438

I remember now, you have issues with inside size.  I'll measure the Audeze's for you and let you know bud. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #2,831 of 3,438
The Brainwavz earpads fit the Fostex TH600 well. It's a bit of a stretch the first couple times but is no problem. Note that the angled pads don't have as wide an opening as the standard, which ends up meaning you lose a few mm of inner height on the pad when stretched (not an issue for most, but an issue for me and my tall ears). The velour, as you suspect, will reduce the bass quite a bit.

Good to know, thanks! It seems I will have the same issue with the inner height...

Audeze vegan pads is exactly what I need, thanks!
Do you like the angle of this pads? It seems they're much more angled then stocks. Could you attach a photo how it looks on your headphones please?

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #2,832 of 3,438
  Good to know, thanks! It seems I will have the same issue with the inner height...

Audeze vegan pads is exactly what I need, thanks!
Do you like the angle of this pads? It seems they're much more angled then stocks. Could you attach a photo how it looks on your headphones please?

I like the look of the Audeze vegan pads as well. . From the photo on their site, looks like fake suede material.

Just FYI though, the angle of the Denon Dx000 pads do angle a lot more than the Fostex ones. I prefer the shape of the Denon ones a bit more; it feels slightly more comfortable. However, the Denon one did start peeling after 3 years. I've had my TH600 for only a month now and it's disappointing to hear that the pads didn't even last a year.

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #2,833 of 3,438
Guys,

Here's the comparison view on my D5000 of the Lawton angle pads and Audeze Vegan pads.  Due to them being "stuck on" to the HFM ring I can't mount them right now on my Denon's but this gives you a perspective on size.

Luckbad - the inside dimensions on the Audeze pads - 2 3/4" tall x 2" deep.  Not really any difference inside size vs Lawton angle.

FYI - selling a pair of Lawton damped D7000 cups that fit right on to a TH600.

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #2,834 of 3,438
Hi,

I was fortunate enough to get a beautiful pair of new cups from a guy in Thailand (via Ebay) who is just starting so prices were reasonable. Cups were made to order so took about 4 weeks.

Removing pads a bit tricky because when you grip the whole pad, the pad itself turns without dismounting the pad assembly and if your unlucky you pull the pad off the pad mount which is also a pain to refit. So the trick is to squish the pad and grip the pad and the white plastic pad assembly at the same time and pull down anti-clockwise and you should feel a distinct click as it disassembles, might need a fair bit of force, mine was quite stubborn.

After that its pretty simple, just unscrew the four screws which hold the cups. IMPORTANT do not unscrew the four screws on the drive mount, the screws you want are the one sunken in which are visible through the holes the pads click into.

Oh another thing, might seem obvious but when placing the new cups make sure to miss the cable retaining knot otherwise the cups will not sit correctly and you may cause damage to the cable.

I will add pics of each stage when I next take it apart.

In the meantime here are a couple of pics that I did remember to take. Note I had to make a small mod myself to the cup see 1st pic below to allow for cable exit. Was easy enough with Stanley knife and some ..easy does it.. precision.

2nd pic shows damping material placed into cup, its very grippy so no adhesion required. I didn't use the wool pad in the stock cups, I may try it with next time I open the cans up.

3rd and 4th show finished product on my hi-tech headphone stand.

Best

Aug 14, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #2,835 of 3,438
I like you hi-tech stand!! 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back