Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Jul 2, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #2,281 of 3,438

I have a HD650, I personally do not like the neutral sound and looking for that sound I think I exploit a driver.
What do you prefer, for everyday use on a PC with a good sound card and amp. A Philips Fidelio X1 or Fostex TH600?

I dont own the x1 but I think the TH-600's are better... This is not a recommendation because I just own one of them. You should listen to both..

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #2,282 of 3,438
Would you say that these have good sub and mid bass that doesn't leak over and drowned out the mids? Also can these handle some extreme volume levels or do that crap out and sound distorted like my Pro 900's do?  I am looking to upgrade ( to my liking) I went from the Sony XB700 which had good sub bass and decent highs and could be amped and eq'd well to the ultrasone pro 900 which im not satisfied with at all and like my xb700's better.

I want to good all arounder that can handle low bass without killing the mids and have good highs too.  im not in to the neutral soundstage at all and I don't want to just get basshead cans either because the lack in everything else other than bass. Are these the cans for me or should I look elsewhere?

I loved the way the pro 900 sounds at lower volume levels as far as mids and highs goes after the kees mod and there is even decent mid bass with them but there is absolutely zero sub bass to me.
im just looking for that total package.

Thanks in advance

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #2,283 of 3,438
Look elsewhere. The TH600 has a midbass hump that obfuscated some of the sub-bass. The older Denons (except the D5000) have their midbass more in-line with the sub-bass.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #2,284 of 3,438
So if I could scrounge up the money for the TH900's would that be a better choice for me or is there anything else you may recommend for what im looking for?  Thanks for the reply.  Just a quick recap, ive currently got Sony XB700, Ultrasone Pro900, V-moda crossfade m100 and Sony MDR1RNC's im just trying to find that total package and I figured for around 1000$ I would certainly be able to but its seeming more difficult than i originally imagined lol and ive had my eye on these for a little while now because I was intrigued by the 50mm driver and that tesla magnet.

I am a newbie here just looking for someone to show me the way :) it seems like as a rule with a small exception that the higher price you go the more flat and natural the sound is for those "True Audiophiles" (In their words). 

I do have a Schiit Mangi amp and a 9 band EQ.  Will switching to a tube amp keeping price in mind be a better way to go since ive read it makes sound warmer and to some people a little more bassy?

Thanks a lot again for helping :)

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #2,285 of 3,438
Look elsewhere. The TH600 has a midbass hump that obfuscated some of the sub-bass. The older Denons (except the D5000) have their midbass more in-line with the sub-bass.

Indeed. Keep in mind, the more money you spend doesn't mean the more you will like the sound. 

I also prefer the older Denon line to the newer Fostex line, like 3X0. I actually have my Fostex 900 up for sale right now, and ordered a D5000 instead because I like my D2000 so much. D2000 sub bass is more present than Th-900 sub bass.

I'd start with a D2000/D5000 before jumping to the TH-900. It's also 50-75% cheaper to go that way.

Or better yet, try them all, that's really how you find out what YOU like. Everyone has a different taste in sound, which is the prevailing lesson here on head-fi. What sounds great to you may not to others!

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #2,286 of 3,438
@TheTodd

Furthermore, if you stick with sub 300-400 dollar headphones, you can try a bunch more as opposed to spending 1000 on just one headphone. If you're a newbie, it might be useful to hear different brands sound signatures before placing all your chips on one headphone. If you don't like something you buy, you can resell it here in the F/S section. Buying and selling there is a great way to try out different sound signatures.

Do you have some DAC/AMP combo you run your headphones through?

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #2,287 of 3,438
Thanks for the advice Its much appreciated and yes I agree with trying different brands out. I wish there was a place around here that I knew that actually had quality headphones to try out. Other than the ones that I currently own that I mentioned earlier ive gone through a few others like The Beats studios 1st gen, Ultrasone hifi 780 and Steel Series H7 

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #2,288 of 3,438
Oh and yes im going through my iphone 5s (with LTE turned off due to RFI) and I have a Schiit Mangi and 9 band EQ.  If its not Flac or ALac files I stream through Spotify at 320kbs. All of my cables i've made myself. I work in communications and am certified and a professional test technician and assembler with several certifications in Class 3 NASA and Military grade soldering.  So I would think we've got good materials here lol. twisted shielded 99.99999999% oxegen free copper and other choices.

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #2,289 of 3,438
Has anyone compared the fostex th600 to the denon ah d600, I would be interested in hearing how they are different and if the fostex is a big step up?
Thanks.

Jul 6, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #2,290 of 3,438
Has anyone compared the fostex th600 to the denon ah d600, I would be interested in hearing how they are different and if the fostex is a big step up?
Thanks.

I would also like to know about this , I have a D600 and I want to get the th600 as my next headphone because according to Jude it's only slightly less of a th900 but I have never heard a th600 so I can't make a fair comparison. But if it's true I would have to say in terms of detail is a good upgrade. The d600 is bassier than the th900 and it has a strong treble spike. But that's all I can say about the subject.

So what I am trying to say is should I go for the th600 after the d600?

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #2,292 of 3,438
Jul 6, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #2,294 of 3,438
I have the HD600. I prefer my TH600 by a wide margin. The HD600 sounds more natural and "speakerlike", but boring in comparison to the TH600
The Fostex has scooped out mids,  but I hear more detail, especially from secondary instruments, that I wouldn't notice with the Senns. 

I have a HD650, I personally do not like the neutral sound and looking for that sound I think I exploit a driver.
What do you prefer, for everyday use on a PC with a good sound card and amp. A Philips Fidelio X1 or Fostex TH600?

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #2,295 of 3,438
I have the HD600. I prefer my TH600 by a wide margin. The HD600 sounds more natural and "speakerlike", but boring in comparison to the TH600
The Fostex has scooped out mids,  but I hear more detail, especially from secondary instruments, that I wouldn't notice with the Senns. 

Today buy two headphones TH600 & DT770 to make my own impressions, this week I will be able to test the 3 headphones,
I think eventually I'll have the sound I've always wanted to hear, beyond audiophiles :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back