Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Apr 20, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #2,131 of 3,438
OK, reality check time.

Yes, the design has a weakness that shows up at times.  I own or have had all three Dxxx series Denon's and never had a problem, as well as owning the TH900 now with not one problem.

Many headphones have design weaknesses - the supposed "tank-like" M-100's have the cracking wing plates. 

I would not spend much time worrying about these failing, but as always, do your due diligence and check the tightness of the connections, and if need be, tighten as needed. 

Not everyone is comfortable taking these apart, but really, it's not difficult once you get past the fear stage and start working on them.  Simple design and easy to assemble/disassemble and parts are available if needed to repair.  There are YouTube videos to help, and I'd be happy to help as well, as I'm sure many would. 

The sound of these to me makes any weakness minor in my mind.  And sure, many may feel a $1300 headphone should not have any flaws, but manufacturing is an imperfect deal, in any and all industries.  Been doing it for 30+ years and from simple plastic milk caps to complicated shop heaters, the old adage of "schiit happens" is true. 

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #2,133 of 3,438
  OK, reality check time.

Yes, the design has a weakness that shows up at times.  I own or have had all three Dxxx series Denon's and never had a problem, as well as owning the TH900 now with not one problem.

Many headphones have design weaknesses - the supposed "tank-like" M-100's have the cracking wing plates. 

I would not spend much time worrying about these failing, but as always, do your due diligence and check the tightness of the connections, and if need be, tighten as needed. 

Not everyone is comfortable taking these apart, but really, it's not difficult once you get past the fear stage and start working on them.  Simple design and easy to assemble/disassemble and parts are available if needed to repair.  There are YouTube videos to help, and I'd be happy to help as well, as I'm sure many would. 

The sound of these to me makes any weakness minor in my mind.  And sure, many may feel a $1300 headphone should not have any flaws, but manufacturing is an imperfect deal, in any and all industries.  Been doing it for 30+ years and from simple plastic milk caps to complicated shop heaters, the old adage of "schiit happens" is true. 

Yeah but the Denon Dxxxx series have been out since forever. It has become quite obvious throughout the years that the design is flawed. Now Fostex releases new headphones knowing the weakspot and doesn't do anything about it. The fact that you haven't experienced problems because you treat them well is not an argument. It's very logical that you treat something as expensive as a TH900 with caution, but IMO headphones from that pricerange should very much be able to take some minor abuse without falling apart. I mean, it's not something you place in a corner and look at. You use it all the time and handle it all the time.

I could play a football match using my HD25-1 as a ball and I would bet it will sound better than ever afterwards and won't fall apart.

Maybe they did some calculations and came to the conclusion that the benefit of low production costs with the current cheap design outweighs the costs of unhappy consumers.

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #2,134 of 3,438
Thank you,

It was pointed out on another forum that I may want to consider selling the TH-900 cups since I was getting them modded. Since I'm getting new cups and new cables there is no need IMHO to change the TH-900 when I can just do it to the TH-600 since it does not come with as high grade of a cable or wooden cups. 

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #2,135 of 3,438
I could play a football match using my HD25-1 as a ball and I would bet it will sound better than ever afterwards and won't fall apart.

Dude, those are jockey cans. Most DJ headphones (Sennheiser, AiAiAi, Allen & Heath, etc) are made to be able to take a certain level of abuse from MDMA infused nutters. No summit-fi/flagship headphone would be able to take that kind of violence. Well, the Abyss might, but then you'd be attacked by a mob for looking like a mutant.

As for the cup issue with the TH models, it's been documented with earlier TH900 models. I don't recall later models suffering from that issue, and I've not read any reports of it happening with the TH600, which was released about a year after the TH900. I wouldn't call them robust by any means, but I believe the issue of the cups falling off for no darn reason has been sorted. There are still some new TH900 owners who claim that one side tends to swivel more than the other, so that might be something you should check for.

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #2,138 of 3,438
Quote:
does anyone know where to buy the stock pads? I couldn't find them.

I would assume these are the same, but Full Compass is an authorized Fostex dealer and parts dealer: http://www.fullcompass.com/product/460942.html.

You can email their parts department or call them to ask if these would fit. I also know they have parts that are not listed online. If you call them, I am sure they can get you some stock pads and a price. Looks like it's about $34 for each TH900 pad. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #2,139 of 3,438
  Quote:

I would assume these are the same, but Full Compass is an authorized Fostex dealer and parts dealer: http://www.fullcompass.com/product/460942.html.

You can email their parts department or call them to ask if these would fit. I also know they have parts that are not listed online. If you call them, I am sure they can get you some stock pads and a price. Looks like it's about $34 for each TH900 pad. 

thanks ill check it out.

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #2,143 of 3,438
Mine is one of em no way I'm going below 560. Those other guys are crazier than me.

They are worth over $600 in my humble opinion!  They are the equal to the D7000................find one of THOSE for $560!!!

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #2,144 of 3,438
Yeah. If I don't find a reasonable trade in time I'm just going to gut mine and swap drivers with my D2000, and hope for the best...

I wonder who will win between the Denex AH-D6000 (?) and Foston TH-5000... hopefully the former gets a fun little bass boost. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #2,145 of 3,438

They are worth over $600 in my humble opinion!  They are the equal to the D7000................find one of THOSE for $560!!!

They def sound worth their money. You gotta hear that pandora though. Every new person that gets one likes it. I remember the bass hitting harder but its not as tight with less soundstage but clearer and more detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back