Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Apr 18, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #2,116 of 3,438

It is spikier or rougher than a number of other cans. It has a prominent treble spike which has been measured and I agree with my listening. The treble spike doesn't seem to bother on some recordings but on plenty of ones with cymbal work or noises during movies where glass breaks for example its quite etched/sharp.

The HD600 is smoother, so is the HE500 and Alpha Dog.

However it also has a somewhat elevated bass response, pretty strong compared to many purely audiophile cans but not nearly as powerful as many bassheads cans. The mids a somewhat recessed if you compare to cans like the HD600, HE500, LCD models or even Alpha Dog and JVC DX1000 - but not massively so. The only offending dip in the response as I've said in the past is a dip somewhere in the lower midrange that makes them sound dry and thin to my ears with some vocals, guitars, basses.

I too had that same "dry and thin" impression of the 600's back when I first got them, but coming from a more lush rich intimate headphone with a mid emphasis (LCD-2) it's more or less your ears adjusting to the sound, the TH600's are a little cold when compared to headphones like the HD600/HE500/LCD (the ortho sound in general is rather intimate with a mid emphasis). I can say now with full confidence that the TH600's aren't cold, and rather flat through the mid range, not recessed. 

There is that spike though, that sadly doesn't exist in the TH900's, which is the only reason why I still have a nagging temptation to upgrade :D I have made a slight work around using tube rolling on my Pan Am to compensate for the treble spike, and even with the worst gone I do hear that cutting edge treble from time to time. If this is a deal breaker, I would say search for a different set of cans, perhaps the TH900's. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #2,117 of 3,438
  Please can any owner of the th600 tell me how is the sibilance on the following track.(beat it by MJ)
This is one of the tracks I use to test sibilance and
I'm curious to know how this can behave at normal listening volume and at a below too loud volume...

about 48 seconds in you can hear the potential sibilance point (...."So Beat it..")

Any help will be appreciated. 
PS: if you own a better version than this youtube clip you are welcome to test it.

I've listened through the whole song (my own version, a FLAC rip the Greatest Hit's Album), and hear absolutely zero sibilance anywhere on the track, but my amp is a tube amp with tubes that purposely roll off the treble a tad, but even then I don't think there would be any glaring treble on a clean rig. Hope this helps!

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #2,120 of 3,438
The JVC DX1000 has imaging on par with the TH600 if not slightly better, deeper stage, taller, just as wide. Bass is stronger, just as tight and clean and similar sub bass rumble. The treble is smoother however I find it can lack excitement or energy and midrange is fuller and more complete. The DX1000 weakness is all in the colourations of the midrange which can make some recordings sound distant or wonky in terms of soundstage. The DX1000 is laid back.

For my tastes the JVC is slightly a better headphone, all things considered. Some may swing the other way of course as YMMV

I think I've said this before, but thought to post it considering you also had a JVC model.

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #2,121 of 3,438
A great post as I want more bass but soundstage as well. A dx1000 was my consideration. The clearer th600 along with its soundstage gave me a good experience but for a basshead phone won't do. I already have other hp's in mind for that and would rather an open back.

I will say that its a realllly good hp though. Even the treble boost is enjoyable at times and its not distant sounding.

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #2,123 of 3,438
Edit actually I just want more bass I don't want the dark jvc sound. How much more bass can I expect from the th900 and how much better is the soundstage compared to it?

First off, I'm pretty much shocked you didn't find the TH600 basshead adequate.  I had them for 10 days on an audition tour and putting them up against my D7000's side by side fed by a vintage Pioneer Spec system (major thump) they were incrediby bassy when fed right. 

To your question - the TH900 I feel has a better soundstage imaging and the bass hits as hard as anything I've heard.  My TH900's are recently Lawton modded so they flat hit and hit hard with no muddiness.  Honestly I wish I had a TH600 side by side with them now because memory of headphones is a losing proposition.  Memory says the TH900 has more bass (mine especially with the mods) but as I said, I feel neither are bass-shy. 

Have you tried a vintage amp of any kind?  If you are interested, go to Audio Specialties on 102nd or browse Craigslist and get yourself an inexpensive vintage amp or receiver.  You won't believe the difference they make.  I kid you not.  For less than $100 you can have your mind blown. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #2,124 of 3,438

First off, I'm pretty much shocked you didn't find the TH600 basshead adequate.  I had them for 10 days on an audition tour and putting them up against my D7000's side by side fed by a vintage Pioneer Spec system (major thump) they were incrediby bassy when fed right. 

To your question - the TH900 I feel has a better soundstage imaging and the bass hits as hard as anything I've heard.  My TH900's are recently Lawton modded so they flat hit and hit hard with no muddiness.  Honestly I wish I had a TH600 side by side with them now because memory of headphones is a losing proposition.  Memory says the TH900 has more bass (mine especially with the mods) but as I said, I feel neither are bass-shy. 

Have you tried a vintage amp of any kind?  If you are interested, go to Audio Specialties on 102nd or browse Craigslist and get yourself an inexpensive vintage amp or receiver.  You won't believe the difference they make.  I kid you not.  For less than $100 you can have your mind blown. 

I know and I posted every impression of my underwhelmed experience knowing you would respond that way.  I dont mind bucking the majority opinion. FWIW the pandora isnt as scalable but easily hits harder. I am also not saying they dont have good bass so let me put it in perspective.... The vibro prototypes, pandora, dx700,MD Pro were more satisfying on some songs in the bass. But they are not what I would call thumpers and if this is a bass head can then the pandora is easily one. 

I will do that...

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #2,126 of 3,438
So straight away I went and bought a vintage receiver. Why because this th600 has so much potential that I wanted to hear it. Well first off Thanks to oregonian I have a wayy better amp that I would doubt someone spending 1k could beat by any measure worth mentioning and I paid 149. 

Second the bass didn't do much to be honest until I hit the loudness button and its knockin' now. So i could be happy with the th600 and now it makes me strongly consider getting a th900. I know that my bottlehead+speedball combo once assembled will make that easily possible. I know the crack and speedball hd650 combo wont touch the th900> NAD receiver combo so I will sell it as soon as its done.

Despite me thinking I want more bass (apart from this new receiver) it has an addicting sound.

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #2,127 of 3,438
Is the Th600 a fragile headphone? For the people who have heard the 600 and the 900 is the headband the same?

I'm asking because I'm getting my 900 modded and if the headphones feel the same no I will just get the 600 and mod that instead.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #2,130 of 3,438
Aizura,

I see the picks so I'm assuming it's the same headband. Are you running a solid state or tube amp? I'm assuming you prefer the TH 900?

Sorry, I don't have either the TH600 nor TH900, so I can't comment on the sound.
From the pictures I can tell they definitely use the same headband and they retain the same weakspot in the contruction as the previous Denon D2000, D5000 and D7000. The whole earcup is hanging by one screw (made from cardboard I reckon).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back