Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Jan 1, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #2,431 of 3,438
So fast paced EDM is not for TH600? Such as Trance etc.

Why dont you test a pair and form your own conclusion. Taking someone elses opinion is ridiculous because their tastes and ear health will be different to yours.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #2,433 of 3,438
They dont have any fostex in my country, that's why I'm asking. Believe me, I would try them if I could.

Can't you order from amazon or ebay and return them if you're not happy?

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #2,434 of 3,438
Can't you order from amazon or ebay and return them if you're not happy?

There's no Amazon Denmark, and it costs a lot to return items overseas. I usually sell things I don't like rather than returning them if I buy them from other countries.

Jan 1, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #2,437 of 3,438
It has low impedance and average sensitivity so it matches pretty well with anything (except tube amps with high noise floors). I use it as my mobile rig, running straight out of my iPhone and it sounds just as amazing as it does out of my O2 or my E12.

So basicly you're saying that amp and dac will do nothing to the sound of the TH600. I've heard many people state the oposite?

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #2,438 of 3,438

So basicly you're saying that amp and dac will do nothing to the sound of the TH600. I've heard many people state the oposite?

Don't forget that the iPhone 6 is, both measurably and in my subjective experience, one of the best DACs in the world (despite what many people assume). As far as amps are concerned, the differences I've heard across the several amps I've listened to the TH600 through are relatively minute. Nothing changes the fundamental properties of these phones. If you like their sound straight out of an iPhone, then you're going to like it out of any decent amp, if you don't like them straight out of an iPhone, no amp in the world will make enough of a difference to make you like them.

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #2,439 of 3,438

Don't forget that the iPhone 6 is, both measurably and in my subjective experience, one of the best DACs in the world (despite what many people assume). As far as amps are concerned, the differences I've heard across the several amps I've listened to the TH600 through are relatively minute. Nothing changes the fundamental properties of these phones. If you like their sound straight out of an iPhone, then you're going to like it out of any decent amp, if you don't like them straight out of an iPhone, no amp in the world will make enough of a difference to make you like them.

I don't actually agree to this. The fact that the iphone 6 has so many apps running in the background does not make it the ideal player, there is a distortion when too much it running in the background (in this respect, that's why Android players are better when made by Astell and Kern and Sony etc, since they allow apps to be forces closed permanently). I understand sound is subjective, but your opinion seems extremely subjective to me as well. I have an iphone as well, and it is no where near the player that I wanted it to be. Therefore, if you say it is one of the best DAC in the world, then you are wrong in every way possible. I guess it may have a good DAC installed, but in no way does it give out a sound that compares to anything in the upper tiers of the music players out there! Try the Astell and Kern's AK100 and above series or the HiFiMan HM901 or 801 then come back to me. The iphone sound quality can definitely sound better by using a decent external DAC (not Fiio), like Centrance M8 or ALO international+, etc

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #2,440 of 3,438
I don't actually agree to this. The fact that the iphone 6 has so many apps running in the background does not make it the ideal player, there is a distortion when too much it running in the background (in this respect, that's why Android players are better when made by Astell and Kern and Sony etc, since they allow apps to be forces closed permanently). I understand sound is subjective, but your opinion seems extremely subjective to me as well. I have an iphone as well, and it is no where near the player that I wanted it to be. Therefore, if you say it is one of the best DAC in the world, then you are wrong in every way possible. I guess it may have a good DAC installed, but in no way does it give out a sound that compares to anything in the upper tiers of the music players out there! Try the Astell and Kern's AK100 and above series or the HiFiMan HM901 or 801 then come back to me. The iphone sound quality can definitely sound better by using a decent external DAC (not Fiio), like Centrance M8 or ALO international+, etc

To each his or her own. I've tried several different mid-and-high end DACs and Amps. While I can hear some differences between amps (or at least I'm sure it's not all in my head), I've never heard any difference between the iPhone and any DAC that I've ever tried. I can only make recommendations on the basis of my personal experience, ergo my response.

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #2,441 of 3,438
To each his or her own. I've tried several different mid-and-high end DACs and Amps. While I can hear some differences between amps (or at least I'm sure it's not all in my head), I've never heard any difference between the iPhone and any DAC that I've ever tried. I can only make recommendations on the basis of my personal experience, ergo my response.

Fully understand. Nothing against yours or anyone's perception. Its just my own perception as well. I guess the TH-600 benefits less from portable Amps compared to other higher ohm headphones out there indeed.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #2,442 of 3,438
Thanks for comments. Let's say I do want an amp with TH600 regardless. Since it´s 25 ohm will it handle high ohm amps such as 600 ones? Or will it be better with low ohm amps? I want solid state amps.

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #2,443 of 3,438
I believe the rule is, the amp impedance should be 25% or less of the headphone impedance, in this case less than 8 ohms. More than 8 ohms, and frequency response suffers, its shape will assume the impedance curve of the headphones. Not too bad for TH600s which have a fairly smooth impedance curve.

BTY I use a Burson amp to drive my TH600s, and I think it makes a big difference over portables.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #2,444 of 3,438
The O2/ODAC guy always said there was a 1/8th rule on it. Not 1/4th, or 25%.

In other words, if headphone is 40 ohm, amp should output no more than 40/8 = 5 ohms.

I don't know anything about it, I'm just parroting what I remember reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back