Fostex T50rp - Where to Get?
Nov 13, 2011 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Vonx

100+ Head-Fier
I have been looking for these headphones but they are kinda hard to find...

ive seeen them go as low as $70 before on amazon, but right now their going for 109$...should i jump or wait until price fluctuates? 

Also, I hear tons of comments on how they sound modded, but how are they just as a general headphone without mods? Are they worth the buck just as the plain jane?

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
I have been looking for these headphones but they are kinda hard to find...

ive seeen them go as low as $70 before on amazon, but right now their going for 109$...should i jump or wait until price fluctuates? 

Also, I hear tons of comments on how they sound modded, but how are they just as a general headphone without mods? Are they worth the buck just as the plain jane?

There's one on ebay right now in the $80 range.

Frankly, the key word about the T50-RP's out of the box is potential.  Other than that, there are many headphones that sound better at this price and lower.  It takes a lot of modding to get them anywhere listenable, IMHO.  The ortho guys seem to have made a big deal of the old pads (wrinkled) vs new pads (smooth), but I didn't see that either one fit well enough to provide any kind of reliable seal.  That combined with the horrible reflections and resonance of the headphone shells means that out of the box, they sound quite plastic-y and even tinny at certain frequencies.

They're just weird, too, in terms of their construction - the rubber headband with copper rods, the sideways twist-and-lock 3.5mm connector that never quite makes a good connection, their weight, etc., etc.

A pair of Sony MDR-V6's - at the same price range - is light years ahead in sound quality ... out of the box.

All that said, I have heard some modded and earlier versions, too.  Properly modded, they can sound better than stats in some respects.  If you look at a purchase as basically buying a couple of drivers with a lot of potential - that's probably a more eyes-open buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back