Fostex T50RP Thunderpants mod.
Jul 23, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 11
Jul 26, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
Thanks i have seen these threads before

Its only a matter of damping rearrangement, but i will probably wait to have completed my DiY CNC to make nice wonden cup.

Nice, you are making your own cnc machine? My brother built a pretty large table top one that works pretty well for an all-wood construction. I plan on cutting out my headphone stands and other things with it pretty soon.

Lookin forward to seeing your progress

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 11
Does Smeggy's kit come with the damping material and instructions as well?  There are so many options, and it would be nice to know what mods were done to the Thunderpants that were measured by Tyll on innerfidelity.  I have a pair of T50RP's on the way (I hope), and would be interested in ordering the kit if it comes with damping materials and instructions.  I'll probably do some work on the stock phones at first, but Smeggy's kit is definitely very appealing.

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Does Smeggy's kit come with the damping material and instructions as well?  There are so many options, and it would be nice to know what mods were done to the Thunderpants that were measured by Tyll on innerfidelity.  I have a pair of T50RP's on the way (I hope), and would be interested in ordering the kit if it comes with damping materials and instructions.  I'll probably do some work on the stock phones at first, but Smeggy's kit is definitely very appealing.

I would like to know this too.  I just ordered a pair.

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 11
I'll post pix of my 'kit' once it comes.

As far as directions go, this is really DIY. A prospective builder should become very familiar with the T-pants by reading through the
T-pants thread, as well as the orthodynamic thread. There are many options with these to suit your particular tastes. Be prepared
to go through a lot of configurations with damping, earpads, etc. to get them where you want them sound/comfort-wise.
This is definitely no 'follow-the-directions' project.

You will also need to be patient. Smeggy is pretty busy. Mine has been in the works for a month now, but the wait will be worth it.

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #9 of 11
There must be a follow the directions answer, certainly each person shouldn't independently damp the phones and then listen to test.  Have you seen the innerfidelity review of ontherivet's Smeggy Thunderpants?  The measurements were superb.  Then there was at least one other modded T50RP that measured terribly.  Why depend on taking apart, stuffing, reassembling and listening, probably getting it all wrong for a while, or not as good as it could be, when there is an already discovered answer to the problem.

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 11
Smeggy, in a PM, told me that he would probably put up some pix and instructions on his site when he could get to it.
Also, check post #1673 here:http://www.head-fi.org/t/501773/thunderpants/1665. It also has links to his site and blog.
My guess is that he is working to finalize a design that he's comfortable with putting out in diy form.

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #11 of 11
That's great news!  I've been wading through the ortho threads and have found suggestions, but no real definitive answer.  Closest was an older post with measurements of the stock T50RP's very flat, much flatter than in the innerfidelity reviews. Of course, who knows if the measurements were as accurate as Tyll's.  It is doubtful given the amount of money and experience Tyll has in his measurement system.  

A definitive, even if it's a right now and might change later, damping scheme from Smeggy would be interesting to see.  I'm trying to get as much as I can out of the stock cups and see where I can get.

Tyll is also measuring and modding some T50RPs from the ground up for an article.  That should be very, very interesting. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back