Fostex T50RP 50th Anniversary Edition
Oct 8, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #92 of 407
What, am I stopping you from creating a beautiful image)? I will decide for myself what is for me and what is not. And the problem is not with me. The fact is that Fostex has a high percentage of defects; searching on the Internet will help.
For a headphone line (RP) that’s probably older than you, yes you will get more data (good or bad), that’s just logic.
There is tolerable imbalance when it comes to drivers. You want perfectly matched drivers? Then we will not be discussing a 200-300 headphones.
Of course it’s your decision. So are you still going to get a 5050 or the upcoming 6050? I think not.
As far as my pictures and how I take them, it’s what I do.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #93 of 407
I've unfortunately run into a slight issue with my T50 50. When I insert the locking connector, I get sound on both channels, great, when I twist the connector partially, still sound on both channels - but if I twist it 90*, somewhere near the end of the turn the left channel cuts out completely. It also doesn't lock into place, if it's supposed to. Do I need to apply a lot of force or something? Or does this suggest there's something obstructing the cable in mine? I tried wiping down the connector.

One thing I can do is get it to 90* and then sort of "push it further". It won't lock it in place but it does get the sound to start working until I bump the cable in any way (at which point it has a chance of cutting out again)

I did notice that the connector looks almost like it might be misaligned inside? Here's a photo:

lockingmechanism.png

See how the internal part looks out of line with the exterior portion? Could that be what's causing the issue? And is that something I can fix myself? Even though the simplest thing would probably be to return it and get a new one shipped, I'm hesitant to do that if it's something I can fix myself.

(Note: This isn't the same issue as someone else was talking about with a channel imbalance. Channels sound fine to me/well balanced. When I can hear both anyway by not turning the connector fully). Have hardly had them off my head since I got them.

---

Hoping it's an easy fix because aside from the connector issue I've fallen in love with these headphones already. I had high expectations for them but they've massively exceeded them honestly.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #94 of 407
I've unfortunately run into a slight issue with my T50 50. When I insert the locking connector, I get sound on both channels, great, when I twist the connector partially, still sound on both channels - but if I twist it 90*, somewhere near the end of the turn the left channel cuts out completely. It also doesn't lock into place, if it's supposed to. Do I need to apply a lot of force or something? Or does this suggest there's something obstructing the cable in mine? I tried wiping down the connector.

One thing I can do is get it to 90* and then sort of "push it further". It won't lock it in place but it does get the sound to start working until I bump the cable in any way (at which point it has a chance of cutting out again)

I did notice that the connector looks almost like it might be misaligned inside? Here's a photo:

lockingmechanism.png

See how the internal part looks out of line with the exterior portion? Could that be what's causing the issue? And is that something I can fix myself? Even though the simplest thing would probably be to return it and get a new one shipped, I'm hesitant to do that if it's something I can fix myself.

(Note: This isn't the same issue as someone else was talking about with a channel imbalance. Channels sound fine to me/well balanced. When I can hear both anyway by not turning the connector fully). Have hardly had them off my head since I got them.

---

Hoping it's an easy fix because aside from the connector issue I've fallen in love with these headphones already. I had high expectations for them but they've massively exceeded them honestly.

The regular T50 (with angled connector) had complaints about this problem(.5050 is built on the same principle(In my opinion, the hard cable will only aggravate this problem over time.

Oct 8, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #95 of 407
For a headphone line (RP) that’s probably older than you, yes you will get more data (good or bad), that’s just logic.
There is tolerable imbalance when it comes to drivers. You want perfectly matched drivers? Then we will not be discussing a 200-300 headphones.
Of course it’s your decision. So are you still going to get a 5050 or the upcoming 6050? I think not.
As far as my pictures and how I take them, it’s what I do.

The point is not how old the headphones are, nor how much they cost. There are many headphones without channel imbalance, cheaper, lighter in weight, and no worse in sound, it just sounds different, well, sound in general is an individual matter.

1 If the headphones do not have imbalance or design problems, I have a positive attitude towards them.
2 In order to buy, you need to collect statistics, time must pass.
3 In the case of Fostex, I consider them for purchase, but only after personal listening and with a return guarantee.
4 5050.60, 6060, each of them has its own disadvantages(
I haven't decided yet whether I want to buy them again or not.

p/s/ I'm glad you acknowledge the imbalance.

Oct 8, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #97 of 407
@MakeshiftApe @pioterd By design it’s meant to swing at certain degrees and still locks in place. This is to not put stress to the cable. With normal swinging movement of the cable termination it shouldn’t reach to the point where the tabs align with the notches on the phones, you have to deliberately swing it to align.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #98 of 407
The point is not how old the headphones are, nor how much they cost. There are many headphones without channel imbalance, cheaper, lighter in weight, and no worse in sound, it just sounds different, well, sound in general is an individual matter.

1 If the headphones do not have imbalance or design problems, I have a positive attitude towards them.
2 In order to buy, you need to collect statistics, time must pass.
3 In the case of Fostex, I consider them for purchase, but only after personal listening and with a return guarantee.
4 5050.60, 6060, each of them has its own disadvantages(
I haven't decided yet whether I want to buy them again or not.

p/s/ I'm glad you acknowledge the imbalance.
I acknowledged the enthusiasm of your issues. With the amount of complains you have, there’s no point in buying something that you already know that’s not for you or doesn’t agree with your standards.
Lastly, to give you the benefit of the doubt, I would love to know what those phones are that has perfect driver matching, perfect that they perfectly line up without deviation when measured.

Oct 8, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #99 of 407
I acknowledged the enthusiasm of your issues. With the amount of complains you have, there’s no point in buying something that you already know that’s not for you or doesn’t agree with your standards.
Lastly, to give you the benefit of the doubt, I would love to know what those phones are that has perfect driver matching, perfect that they perfectly line up without deviation when measured.
1 The imbalance is determined using a tone generator and various musical compositions in mono mode; no equipment is needed for this.
(I already wrote about this, in more detail, in this thread)

2 Popular headphones priced at $100 or more (will/may) have better channel matching.

3 Other parameters may also turn out to be better, it is also worth remembering that this is all very individual.

PS I don’t need anything from you, you can have your own opinion, I don’t have to prove anything to you.
I'm only interested in fostex speakers for the "3000 mw" reason.
But this does not mean that I will buy them (There is no such solution yet.
It's a pity that the manufacturer does not solve the problems of their products...

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #100 of 407
1 The imbalance is determined using a tone generator and various musical compositions in mono mode; no equipment is needed for this.
(I already wrote about this, in more detail, in this thread)

2 Popular headphones priced at $100 or more (will/may) have better channel matching.

3 Other parameters may also turn out to be better, it is also worth remembering that this is all very individual.

PS I don’t need anything from you, you can have your own opinion, I don’t have to prove anything to you.
I'm only interested in fostex speakers for the "3000 mw" reason.
But this does not mean that I will buy them (There is no such solution yet.
It's a pity that the manufacturer does not solve the problems of their products...
And all that for just mere assumptions and one pair of what seem to be a defective pair? Carry no weight imo. Trust me, Fostex’s offering isn’t for you. I’m not telling you but I’m just going with what you have shared and comment on here. Not many phones will be for you regardless of brand as almost all phones will have some sort of deviation within tolerable specs be that from channel to channel and or variation from unit to unit.

And just to add, I have heard 3 pairs of RP5050 (2 of mine and 1 from @WitzyZed) and they all sound just fine to me.

Oct 8, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #102 of 407
And all that for just mere assumptions and one pair of what seem to be a defective pair? Carry no weight imo. Trust me, Fostex’s offering isn’t for you. I’m not telling you but I’m just going with what you have shared and comment on here. Not many phones will be for you regardless of brand as almost all phones will have some sort of deviation within tolerable specs be that from channel to channel and or variation from unit to unit.

And just to add, I have heard 3 pairs of RP5050 (2 of mine and 1 from @WitzyZed) and they all sound just fine to me.
I have a friend who says the following - “Is this so?” - this phrase fits very well here)
Because experience and the Internet say otherwise...
for example, there is a lot of negativity about Fostex on the Internet, much more than is usually the case.

You can write a lot on advertising brochures about gold/wood/copper and the magic of sound, but sales clearly confirm the opposite.
But you just need to correct design flaws and improve quality control and things will go more smoothly.

Oct 8, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #103 of 407
Well, I (and unit no. 108/900) look forward to when less than 900 of us have to get together and do some f'in science.

I guess myself, and perhaps others, cannot tell a functional difference between you, @Alchemistt , being a staunch voice of reason and caution, and repeatedly begging the question; appealing to vague negativity whilst being the only source of negativity in this thread.

If one of these pairs isn't perfect, you gain nothing of value. If they're all perfect, I gain nothing of value.

Again, they're numbered units. If some are defect, we'll know exactly which ones.

Oct 10, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #104 of 407
#843 arrived a day ago and they look fantastic, loving the retro Japanese look.

Plugged them into my Zen Can 6XX and with both the "HD6XX" and "XSpace" active they are a great listen when fed by my Qutest, full-bodied and engaging. Not so much with my Fiio R7 which felt a bit leaner, still good, but not as fun.

The only real issue I have is the cable/connection, I need to just nudge it slightly away from fully locked and I loose all sound in the right ear. I really don't understand why they are using this connection. Going to see if I can find another cable and see if that fixes it as I don't really want to send the headphones back.

So does anyone know if anyone makes a balanced cable to fit these?

Oct 10, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #105 of 407
@MakeshiftApe @pioterd By design it’s meant to swing at certain degrees and still locks in place. This is to not put stress to the cable. With normal swinging movement of the cable termination it shouldn’t reach to the point where the tabs align with the notches on the phones, you have to deliberately swing it to align.
That's good to know. Still haven't had any luck solving the audio cutting out issue with it turned 90*, but the "push it a bit further when it's at 90*" or "don't turn it all the way to 90*" methods both work for now and if need be I'll replace the cable.
The only real issue I have is the cable/connection, I need to just nudge it slightly away from fully locked and I loose all sound in the right ear. I really don't understand why they are using this connection. Going to see if I can find another cable and see if that fixes it as I don't really want to send the headphones back.
Sounds like yours has the reverse issue of mine. Mine's the left ear that does it. Try just not locking it fully (like turning it 75* or something) and see if it works fine there? That works for me, even if it's not the most elegant solution.

---

Anyway cable issue aside, I've been listening to these non-stop since I got them. Barely taken them off my head. With each of my headphones I've been making playlists of songs/genres that particularly stood out on those headphones, but with the T50RP 50th Anni I'm finding that just about any music is quite an experience with it. I will say though that vocals, textured bass, songs that have lots of music where their precise imaging can really show itself, and for some reason anything with the sound of water in it in particular really stands out to me on these.

So some favourites so far include:

That said I'm loving everything I throw at these. From Tool, to Halie Loren, to Atmosphere to Dire Straits. It's harder to find something that doesn't sound fantastic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back