Fostex T20RP - replacement pads
May 18, 2012 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nimrodisease

New Head-Fier
I've done a bit of research but haven't been able to uncover too much information about these phones. My pads are several years old and have gone flaky, so I'm looking for something to replace them with. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance..

May 18, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 5
I've done a bit of research but haven't been able to uncover too much information about these phones. My pads are several years old and have gone flaky, so I'm looking for something to replace them with. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance..

Does your headphone say T20RP on the side, or T20?

In the former case, retailers of Fostex headphones carry spare pads. They're oval-shaped. As an alternative you could get some Shure 840 pads.

In the latter case, to replace round pads, you can use AKG K240 pads, though I don't think they're as comfortable as stock. Might need to be taped down or otherwise sealed too. I think someone said Beyer pads would fit. I want to try some gels on the T20, myself.

Let me know how it works out for you.

May 19, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 5
Ok, thanks. They're the T20RP Mk II (yes, I know, they have a bad rep). There are a couple of local places which may stock Fostex (not sure)... failing that, is there anywhere I could buy them online?

How do the 840 pads compare?

May 19, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 5
I'm in the US, so B&H and Full Compass come to mind for Fostex pads. They're brick and mortar stores that do a lot of online business, thanks in part to Head Fi. Not sure about Oz with regards to who will sell/ship to you.

I haven't tried the 840 pads myself, but many folks in the T50RP thread have.

May 19, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 5
I just used some adhesive felt tape to attach my 840 pads to my Fostex (this way, I didn't have to stretch and warp the pads, and I still get a good seal). I simply taped all the way around the circumference of the pads and baffle, together. The 840 pads are, IMO, WAYYY more comfy than the stock pads. They're also completely circumaural, and add quite a good bit of bass punch whilst also much improving the isolation (leading to more perceived detail due to less outside noise).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back